Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 9841 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Retirement
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 04:37:09 am »

my dad just retired earlier this year. His job basically became something he hated, and he was having issues with other stuff (back injury from youthful sporting came back to haunt him-- leading to sleepless nights, confused doctors, surgeries which did nothing, etc.) He is planning to wait a year, and then find something worthwhile to do with his time. I am not sure what this will be--he has mentioned doing something finance-related with a nonprofit or something.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Retirement
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 04:45:52 am »

Focus, people.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Retirement
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 04:52:22 am »

My dad had to retire young... early 50s... because of a heart condition and...

He's building the biggest shortwave antenna in three counties.

I am from a weird place, if I haven't covered this.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 05:09:51 am »

Oh man... you misunderstand. My thinking about retirement since age 14 has nothing to do with not enjoying the time between 14 and old, and everything to do with having a kickass retirement. Basically I've been thinking about how to ensure that when I retire I have the health and the means to basically do whatever the hell I want. I looooove my job and I'm grateful for that, but I still have to be on someone else's schedule, and budget my money, and all that. And I'd rather be on a tight budget when I'm young than when I'm old, because the last thing I want my retirement to be is endless days of eating tuna out of the can with my 14 cats, awaiting death. So yes, I've been planning for retirement since that age, mostly to avoid a retirement that feels like sitting in a dark closet listening to Enya (to steal a South Park reference). But I've had plenty of rad times in the meantime, and plan to continue to do so.

Oh, and... Nabu, don't play the markets.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

Charles Nelson Mandela

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • These aren't the characters we identify with?
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 11:10:19 am »

The best way to make money, and thus fund your retirement, is to find the latest technological gewgaw of the moment and figure out a way to combine it with porn.

VCRs? Achieved no meaningful market penetration (ahem) until they started putting out porn movies.

DVDs? Porn.

Peer-to-peer? Porn-to-Porn, I say.

The Internet in general? The Internet is for porn!

I suggest pr0nitizing Twitter.
Logged
"Hello, I'm Antonin Scalia. Welcome to *slap!* *spank!* Strict Constructionism."

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Retirement
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 12:07:07 pm »

Goddamn I want to do this, but my wife has scruples!

Who says she gots to know?
Logged
ACHIEVE

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 12:21:17 pm »

   bunch of explanation

Nope, sorry. Still the saddest thing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Retirement
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 12:00:02 am »

I have never really thought about retirement, because (if the current plans turn out to work out) I'm going to be a scientist, and that has always struck me as a job you do as long as you can possibly do it, with the retirement basically more a gradual decline in assumed time on the job. That suits me; I'd like to think that I can find Neuroscience fascinating the rest of my life, but slowly being able to farm out more and more lab gruntwork seems about my style.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 02:54:25 am »

If you are worried about your kids I'd roll with the life insurance. I'm an only child and an only grandchild and an only nephew. My family and I sleep well knowing I've got some kind of nest egg that I had nothing to do with and can't touch prematurely.
As for retirement. I'm not going to pretend to be a financial adviser but I do study finance now. Bonds and Tbills lose money to inflation by the time they reach their True Future Value. If my grandmother had put my birthday money in exxon stock instead of tbills and bonds, I'd be able to pay off college by now. My personal retirement account is at Etrade where I'm holding onto gold and natural resources.
I don't know what people have against the stock market around here. It has been perfectly documented that it gives modest returns well in excess of CDs or other instruments of that sort over time. I can't imagine how it could be compared to the lottery which has an Expected Value in the millionths of a penny, while a broad based index fund has an Expected Value of greater than 1.
Summary: Life Insurance for the family, High dividend stocks for you.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Retirement
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 02:59:28 am »

I don't have children, and I will never have children. I'm kind of interested in playing the market, but it just seems like such an artificial construct. Like it'll work as long as everyone believes in it. As soon as that little kid points out that the Emperor has no clothes, we all end up with worthless scraps of paper.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 03:05:48 am »

your money is going to billionaire with diamond necktie pins and they will use your money to take a vacation to a country where there are no laws so that they can do Terrible Things.

Until you reach that threshhold, just go to Chief Splitting-Eights Casino and put your nestegg all on red. You'd probably do better over the same number of tries.

Do you say these things just to provoke me? When you buy a stock, you're not giving the money to executives, you're buying a bundle of rights from another dude because he has decided he doesnt want them any more and you think they will be worth more in the future. Also, putting your money on read has an expected value of $0.47 while putting your money in the stock market has an expected value of ~$1.10.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 03:08:53 am »

I don't have children, and I will never have children. I'm kind of interested in playing the market, but it just seems like such an artificial construct. Like it'll work as long as everyone believes in it. As soon as that little kid points out that the Emperor has no clothes, we all end up with worthless scraps of paper.

Shares of stock are very real things. They are contracts with rights: voting rights, rights to dividends when declared, rights to residual liquidation values of the company, rights to access books, etc. It is the value that one places on this contract that determines the value of the stock.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Retirement
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 03:09:25 am »

Where does the money go when the stock is initially issued? Serious question, I don't know much about this shit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Retirement
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2007, 03:11:23 am »

Quote from: Nabubrush drinks (a lot)
As soon as that little kid points out that the Emperor has no clothes, we all end up with worthless scraps of paper.

Happened at the end of the LAST Guilded Age when the rich got richer conning the regular folks into putting so much of their money into the system that values were so exceeded by the prices that one day... POP. People saw the market as a money machine, deregulation made the whole thing a million times worse and then...

Actually, this sounds really familiar, doesn't it?

While in a different time or a different place, the diversified long term portfolio thing probably actually makes sense? I'm prrrrrreeeeeeettttty sure we're coming up close to the next big realization of how much of that money is tied up in worthless paper (or just electrons in some machine!) how little of it is tied up in the actual intrinsic value of the companies and then...

POP.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2007, 03:33:29 am »

Hey LFM, you know what blows? Subways. Let me tell you about subways...
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up