Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Retirement  (Read 9837 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Retirement
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2007, 02:45:39 am »

I didn't read this entire thread, but I should note that 401(k)s are basically free money.  Use them to the max as soon as you can.

Otherwise, hoard gold and diamonds and keep them in a safe deposit box in some old bank that was around since old times.

I can get behind the gold, but I believe the scarcity of diamonds is an artificial construct.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2007, 03:09:01 am »

I can get behind the gold, but I believe the scarcity of diamonds is an artificial construct.

Yep.  I thought carbonrundum (rubies and emeralds) were supposedly far rarer.  fuck*ng DeBeers.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2007, 03:19:15 am »

I dunno. If civilization falls, who's going to want gold? What's useful about it? I'm going to hoard, like, peanut butter and spaghetti.  And chocolate.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Retirement
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2007, 04:04:02 am »

I dunno. If civilization falls, who's going to want gold? What's useful about it? I'm going to hoard, like, peanut butter and spaghetti.  And chocolate.

There won't be any tinfoil left for the hats and gold has the malleability you'll be looking for.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2007, 05:45:16 am »

Gold is beautiful
It stays beautiful (it doesn't oxidize)
Its malleable, ductile, and rare.  It will always be considered a luxury, and therefore anyone who accumulates it will be seen as powerful.
Still, when the revolution comes, my stocks of ammunition will outweigh my gold reserves.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Retirement
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2007, 05:52:09 am »

I might just stock up on oxycontin. I'm sure an army of gibbering crackleheads armed with pieces of hurricane fencing and defending themselves with trashcan lids will be a formidable sight to see when people try to storm my demesne.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2007, 07:35:29 am »

Yeah... I've got my work retirement, my Roth IRA, and I'm slowly amassing ammunition. I've got about 500 rounds. If anything bad happens, we have a lot of Native folks here who could teach us how to live off the land and sea, as long as it wasn't polluted. If it were polluted and we were limited to stock on hand, I would probably die within 2 months.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2007, 12:16:05 pm »

I might just stock up on oxycontin. I'm sure an army of gibbering crackleheads armed with pieces of hurricane fencing and defending themselves with trashcan lids will be a formidable sight to see when people try to storm my demesne.

Yeah, uh, I can come protect you.  That shit is awesome.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Retirement
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2007, 07:58:31 pm »

I like how "Retirement" has turned into "Utter Apocalypse Survival."
I would die real fast. I have no usable skills.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Retirement
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2007, 01:56:52 am »

I like how "Retirement" has turned into "Utter Apocalypse Survival."
I would die real fast. I have no usable skills.

If you like synthetic heroin (and who doesn't) and are willing to chew through someone's throat, I can give you a place to sleep.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Retirement
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2007, 02:31:56 am »

synthetic heroin

Isn't heroin synthetic heroin?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Retirement
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2007, 03:59:36 am »

Isn't heroin synthetic heroin?

If you are going to be splitting hairs, you'll be first up against the wall.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2007, 06:02:23 am »

Nabu, you sound a little angry and sleep-deprived. Do you have a S.O.-S.A.D. lamp up there?
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Retirement
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2007, 02:31:16 pm »

Nabu, you sound a little angry and sleep-deprived. Do you have a S.O.-S.A.D. lamp up there?

Sssshhhhh. We're not allowed to talk about pot, didn't you hear?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2007, 11:23:45 pm »

and two legged predator medecine earlier this week.

Heh heh heh. Tiny can.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up