Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Horror movies  (Read 4519 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Horror movies
« on: March 26, 2007, 11:18:27 pm »

I'm looking for horror movies that aren't awash in blood. A little more intellectual, if you please. The lovely bride and I can't get enough of being creeped out and on the edge of our seats. However, we aren't particularly interested in The Devil's Rejects. We like stuff like The Changeling and Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist. Recently we watched Descent. Of course, we also have the Evil Dead catalog, because you sort of have to. We like it when the terror is implied rather than stuffed down our throats in a wash of evisceration. Do you have any suggestions?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 11:46:11 pm »

I assume you have watched the obvious options, like The Shining?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 12:04:49 am »

I assume you have watched the obvious options, like The Shining?

Well, yes. Dispensing with the italics, we have watched (and own):

The Shining. The Omen. Evil Dead. Rosemary's Baby. The Exorcist. Night of the Living Dead.

Give me some movies that have come out in the last five years or so.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 12:41:18 am »

The Host http://imdb.com/title/tt0468492/  was excellent. Just the right mix of horror/comedy to keep you entertained without taking itself too seriously.

I'll just assume you've seen The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Aside from Evil Dead I think this is the finest horror movie ever made.

Audition http://imdb.com/title/tt0235198/ was extremely creepy. If you plan on seeing it, just don't read anything about the movie beforehand. THe less you know the better.

Slither http://imdb.com/title/tt0439815/  is another great horror movie that has great thrills/laughs ratio.

I'm trying to think of more good ones that have come out recently. Horror and comedy are pretty much the two toughest genres to do right, and it's only once in a while that a truly great one comes along.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 12:42:49 am »

The Sound of Music?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 01:15:45 am »

Suspiria is really good, if you're looking for a certain something. It's use of lighting, coloured particularly is incredible, and some of the casting is great. While I wouldn't necessarily call it a great horror movie, it certainly has it's draws.
Similarly Silent Hill is a stunning movie. It's fairly terrible, but it's beautiful.

I shall have a think further, when I have slept on it, as at the moment I am spending so much time thinking about the horror movies that visually made an impact on me.

Oh, The Descent might be worth a look. Good use of atmosphere (mmmmmm, claustrophobia) and some clever writing (a great ending I thought). It is flawed,  but worth seeing. As I say, I shall think some, as I watch a lot of horror, be it blood bath or nay...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 01:17:59 am »

Suspiria is really good, if you're looking for a certain something. It's use of lighting, coloured particularly is incredible, and some of the casting is great. While I wouldn't necessarily call it a great horror movie, it certainly has it's draws.
Similarly Silent Hill is a stunning movie. It's fairly terrible, but it's beautiful.

I shall have a think further, when I have slept on it, as at the moment I am spending so much time thinking about the horror movies that visually made an impact on me.

Oh, The Descent might be worth a look. Good use of atmosphere (mmmmmm, claustrophobia) and some clever writing (a great ending I thought). It is flawed,  but worth seeing. As I say, I shall think some, as I watch a lot of horror, be it blood bath or nay...

Seen Descent. We screamed and set off our house alarm.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 02:33:22 am »

The Jeff Goldblum version of The Fly holds up surprisingly well. 

I always recommend Eraserhead, because it never fails to upset me when I watch it.

Also, Psycho and The Birds.

These are all sort of obvious, but really enjoyable.

I have to think on it a bit more.  You've got it right though - the best scary movies are the ones that don't show too much.

I actually liked Signs.  Please don't tell anyone.

Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 02:54:17 am »

Love Eraserhead and The Fly. And goddamn, can you imagine wandering into a theater in 1960+ and seeing Psycho? I would have shit my #####. What do you have from the last five years or so?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 02:54:56 am »

I hate scary movies. I saw the previews for Hostel and almost pee'd myself. Yuck. No thanks. The previews alone were enough to make me (a non-dentalphobe) get a little creeped out when I was at the dentist getting a new crown installed. I kept getting unwanted visions of grimy underground torture chambers with leather straps and rusty implements.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 03:08:26 am »

Seconded on Suspiria, a real must-see but from the 70's.  And while you're working on the Bruce Campell catalogue, just this weekend I rented Bubba Ho-tep (2001) and that's a disc that I ain't returnin', no way in hell.  And I started a whole thread on how great Slither was but the wife'll have to be down with hella mutant shit.

Carptenter's The Thing is my favorite horror of all time.  Mad nice mutant shit in that.

Oh yeah, also Shaun of the Dead.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 03:11:55 am »

Seconded on Suspiria, a real must-see but from the 70's.  And while you're working on the Bruce Campell catalogue, just this weekend I rented Bubba Ho-tep (2001) and that's a disc that I ain't returnin', no way in hell.  And I started a whole thread on how great Slither was but the wife'll have to be down with hella mutant shit.

Carptenter's The Thing is my favorite horror of all time.  Mad nice mutant shit in that.

Oh yeah, also Shaun of the Dead.

Yup. Did all four of those.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 03:21:43 am »

A Tale of Two Sisters is a creepy Korean horror movie. The plot is somewhat confusing and fairy-taleish (evil stepmother, clueless dad, downtrodden sisters), but it's definitely worth a watch if you're looking for an intellectual horror film.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 03:26:49 am »

A Tale of Two Sisters is a creepy Korean horror movie. The plot is somewhat confusing and fairy-taleish (evil stepmother, clueless dad, downtrodden sisters), but it's definitely worth a watch if you're looking for an intellectual horror film.

Yeah, I saw that with the SO.  I seemed intellectual, but then it turn out to be plot twist upon plot twist to the point where I was just annoyed.  Also, I remember it being quite bloody.  It's a different sort of horror flick though.  It's worth seeing, but more as a visual film - I felt the writing sort of falls apart under closer examination.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 05:06:45 am »

Psycho.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up