Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Horror movies  (Read 4515 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 05:08:03 am »

I don't really know what qualifies, and I know that if I have seen it you probably have, but, just in case, Battle Royale.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 12:30:12 pm »

Mr Trout, those are interesting recommendations.  I don't see any way I can see the first one though, it's not on DVD yet. It seems to be just being released in this country but I don't know if anyplace around here would play such a thing. You saw it in a theater?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 01:19:47 pm by wombat »
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 02:09:05 pm »

Mr Trout, those are interesting recommendations.  I don't see any way I can see the first one though, it's not on DVD yet. It seems to be just being released in this country but I don't know if anyplace around here would play such a thing. You saw it in a theater?

It is indeed showing in a theatre nearby (The Charles in Baltimore), however babysitters costing what they do I aquired it via other means for the SO and I. It's been out in Korea for about a year, so it is readily available.
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 05:11:09 pm »

Bummer that you saw Rosemary's Baby already, it's my favorite horror movie ever, one of my favorite movies ever, and because of it, everytime I walk into a theater these days I'm reminded of how shallow, silly, unsubtle and artless (in the sense of lacking sheer craft) today's pop horror offerings are. All jump cuts and bullet times and shaky cameras and "ominous strings" (quotes referencing George Lucas talking to John Williams about the score for Star Wars: "Then here, ominous strings, yadda yadda, then he jumps towards Anakin and ominous strings again, and then...". I bet he uses a system with tags like "ominous strings", "jolly horns", "silly bass" to save time. But I digress).

Uhm. I guess I just wanted to vent, but if I remember a real good horror flick, I'll make sure I'll tell you about it.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 10:29:01 pm »

Pet Semetary was every which sort of upsetting for all the wrong reasons.
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 10:41:12 pm »

Goddammit, I hate you, Pet Sematary, yes, how could I forget >/
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 03:17:45 pm »

Oh, what about "Sunset Blvd."?

I have read some analysis about it which make the point that "Sunset" could be watched as a horror movie. I bought the DVD yesterday and watched it, and what can I say? It's very, very, very creepy, nightmare-creepy, almost unbelievably so when one considers it was a mainstream product from a major studio in a very conservative era. It's more accurately described as a psychological drama, of course, but the topic is alienation and madness, which has always provided good material for chills.

The introduction of Norma Desmond's character, for instance, can be considered alone of of the great horror set-ups ever filmed. Everything is perfect, spot-on - and deeply unsettling: A decaying gothic manor, a spooky butler, an organ that plays eerie music by itself (there's a pretty ordinary explanation for the phenomena, but the effect is attained nonetheless) and Norma Desmond herself - her face most specifically, which in the final scene of the movie, as she gestures towards you, the viewer is guaranteed to give anyone the howling fantods).

The best horror stories always suggest rather than show, and the implications of everything that Joe Gillis sees when he enters the manor are very disturbing. As I watched this scene I tell you I was a very happy spectator, though creeped out beyond my senses: You don't usually get this sense of potency, of concentrated evil atmosphere in the movies anymore (think "Rosemary's Baby" from the New Year's Eve party onwards - yes it's that ominous, and actually even slightly more so because "Sunset Blvd" doesn't have any supernatural elements - it's just a very ugly and bitter and sad story). There's a particular scene involving a chimpanzee's arm which made me go "Oh My God Get Out Of This House RIGHT NOW YOU IDIOT", and the fact that it's all accomplished within the limits of a realistic setting only heightened the sense of horror.

Admittedly, there are long patches in the movie where things get safer and saner, bringing the movie closer to other genres, such as love story, noir, even comedy albeit of a very very sad and biting nature - but the ending recuperates the creepiness factor and amps it up in a climax that deserves it's fame. Norma Desmond's eyes and her freaking talons gesturing at the audience as she finally gets the closest thing to a close-up she'll ever get.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 03:45:23 pm »

Oh man, do I have a name for you: Val Lewton.

I'm taking a class in his films right now. He was a forties B-movie producer who would get these ridiculous titles from RKO and make these amazing, thoughtful, scary, subtle, personal films about them. The two best movies we've seen in the class so far? I Walked With A Zombie and Curse of the Cat People.

So, here are my recommendations:
Cat People
I Walked With A Zombie
The Seventh Victim
Curse Of The Cat People
Ghost Ship

What's funny about these movies sometimes is just how far they stray from the title: Curse of the Cat People is a kind-of sequel to Cat People, except that Cat People aren't mentioned once in the entire movie. It's about a lonely little girl. (All of his movies are essentially about loneliness, though.)

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 10:07:09 pm »

Fancy that! I saw The Cat People when I was eleven on the teevee and it creeped the bajeezus out of me (Hopefully no family member needs a bajeezus transplant). I may check that out sometime.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2007, 12:46:34 am »

I'm assuming that is a different version than the one with Malcom McDowell in it.  Although it did have Natassija Kinski as well...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2007, 03:22:52 am »

I'm assuming that is a different version than the one with Malcom McDowell in it.  Although it did have Natassija Kinski as well...

Yeah, it's the original. I'm looking to find that version, I figure that the only thing that could make that movie better is incest and explicit sex.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2007, 04:16:20 am »

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 12:50:20 am »

We are right now watching Slither.  It is a little bit, um, grosser than I expected, which I think can only mean that I was not exactly paying attention when I read the reviews and so on pursuant to the Trout's recommendation.  But it is entertaining.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 03:32:58 am »

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane

Yes.  Totally.  Seconded.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Horror movies
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 09:39:13 pm »

The Plannet Terror segment of Grindhouse had the most lethal zombies I've ever seen in a movie.
Logged
ACHIEVE
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up