Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: March 28, 2007 -- sitting around watching gay porn like it was just a basic day!  (Read 7955 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes

Then you'd have to include 'whilst' also.

As well as "Forthwith."
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile

My own colloquialisms are a weird amalgam resulting from my growing up in the South and my mom's family's being from Derbyshire.  That and reading too much Kerouac.  An interesting combination, to say the least, but it was only recently that I learned that "whilst" is considered archaic.  I had been using "whilst," "amongst," and "amidst" pretty much exclusively before that.
Logged

hammish

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 33
  • Hammish has not been renewed for 2009.
    • View Profile

As a gay guy, I feel I should have substantive contributions for this thread... but y'all have covered the basics (some explicitly-stated, some inferred by me):
  • Gay porn is ridiculous, but so is straight porn
  • Many men enjoy porn, including those who think it's ridiculous
  • Many college guys are betwixt the periods in life when porn serves a purpose
  • Words like betwixt are ridiculous
Well done!
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace

Why is everybody hating on betwixt? Odd diction is what makes life interesting, besides friends and family and stuff like that.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

Quote from: RMJ12345
Why is everybody hating on betwixt? Odd diction is what makes life interesting, besides friends and family and stuff like that.

Hell of yes, basically.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Enkidu

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • I think my hearts explodin! THESE KNIVES!
    • View Profile

I love the way Ray says, "atleast SOMEBODY'S havin' fun!", like hes just throwing his arms up in disgust of the moonwalk.  For a Man Who Gets Things Done, making the walking motion without actually accomplishing any movement is just completely ridiculous.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile

Another observation about how totally unthreatened Beef is by the porn* : he doesn't even have his arms crossed in front of himself.  They're draped behind him over the arm of the chair -totally exposing his soft underbelly without concern.

*I had to re-type this at least 3 times.  Internet slang is compelling me to render it as pr0n
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

ack-47

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 28
    • View Profile

Another observation about how totally unthreatened Beef is by the porn* : he doesn't even have his arms crossed in front of himself.  They're draped behind him over the arm of the chair -totally exposing his soft underbelly without concern.

Gay porn has nothing but the best of intentions for your soft underbelly. Only a fool would think otherwise. Beef is no fool.
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile

There is something about Ray's expression in the fourth panel, along with the words themselves, "Somebody says I'm gay, I'll just sit here bein' straight, and they'll be wrong", that just makes it the most serene, calm, confident statement of one's sexuality imaginable. Ray stone cold doesn't care what people who are wrong think. I absolutely love it.
Logged

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog

As well as "Forthwith."

"Moreover" would be a fineable word as well.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Heh, indeed.  I definitely have used such words, and will probably use them again when the time is right.  I probably wouldn't actually say betwixt or whilst out loud (when typing, I use a lot more vocabulary, as in person I am significantly more monosyllabic).  But I feel absolutely no shame with amongst or amidst in any situation, thems is just fine bah me.

Also, indubitably is a word that no one can say out loud without sounding funny, so you had better be saying it in jest.
Logged
~

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely

I'm pretty sure I use all of these words pretty regularly, with the exception of "betwixt". I'm pretty sure I use them in distinct situations, so I'll say "while" when I'm talking about two things that are happening at the same time and "whilst" when I'm talking about, say, two ideas I hold concurrently (as in, "Whilst sitting around watching porn with your friends is perhaps socially acceptable in many groups, in my own it would be weird as hell."). I'm not saying there's an actual denotational or connotational difference, that's just how it happens with me (and, I suspect, with quite a few others.)

I think the reason I don't use "betwixt" is because I rarely think of things between other things with that kind of nuance.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up