Well, womb@, there are a couple of reasons why you misunderstood...
1.) Though I have gathered you are slightly older than me, I am far and long from being one of "The Kids These Days". I reckon that at... eight years after your high school class graduates, no one is a Kid These Days anymore. Eight years is how long it would take for one of your high school classmates to become a doctor or a lawyer if they never took any time off, right?
That seems like a decent measure and I am two years older than a decent measure. I might still be a young adult, especially by this generations' standards, but a kid... I'm long beyond kid.
2.) Even though I am six-and-a-half-feet-tall and quite broad shouldered, being somewhere around 300-310 pounds still makes me insanely self-conscious about my looks. I am not a very fat man but fat enough where I see pictures of myself and see a fat man.
3.) I live in a town where Basically Everything surrounds themselves with pictures of themselves as if they are worshipping idols of themselves. Headshots, posters, myspaces, facebooks... people living as if the footprint they leave on this Earth will be how many pictures of them shall survive their death. I am subconsciously rebelling against this.