"Be a dude who is trying to ignore something really weird happening in front of him by really overconcentrating on the menu. But once it gets full-on racial, you can't pretend anymore. You and your buddy are eventually so weirded out that you shrug and leave."
My friend Joey, the Latin dude next to me, was pretending that we ran a website that rates fast food burgers across the country and... that getting involved in a racial conflagration would do no good.
I was pretending that I was an undercover FBI agent and Joey was a Mexican drug lord I was attempting to get from Tijuana to New York City to testify in exchange for immunity but it was such a dangerous situation that we had to drive cross-country in a rambling fashion so as to keep people off our tracks and... like...
Ninety miles from our destination, we weren't gonna get involved and blow our covers.
I... I have a rich inner world.