Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?  (Read 16548 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2007, 04:26:57 am »

Foo Fighters, Weezer, and Hot Hot Heat played here last fall - I really wanted to see the show but it was the night I went back to work. The White Stripes played with Hot Hot Heat the night before and the night after I saw them, but my night was the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, who make me kind of tired.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2007, 06:53:43 am »

I saw Ozzy with Randy Rhodes, twice.  I thought Randy Rhodes played some overdubs on those records, but after seeing him live, apparently not.  Also, Ozzy was once a vital man.

I saw SRV about a year before he died with Jeff Beck opeining for him.  I was a big SRV fan, but I was actually more eager to see Beck with Terry Bozio on drums.  They were brilliant, but I gotta tell you, when Stevie plays, you feel it.  I mean, there is hell of emotion in his playing.

Concert I am sad I missed, Lynyrd Skynyrd.  I had to make a choice.  Being 14 years old, my Dad would only allow me to see one show in the span of a week, not two.  So I chose to see ZZ Top on Thanksgiving Day 1975.  I figured I could just catch Skynyrd the next time around.  Of course we all know what happened.  I have seen the re-formed Skynyrd 3-4 times and they are pretty good, but it would have been nice to see the originals play.

I'm comforted by the fact that ZZ put on one of the best shows i've ever seen.  It was their World Wide Texas Tour and of course it was the last show of the tour homecoming.  This is the tour where they had live rattlesnakes, buzzards and a longhorn steer on stage with them.  The first half of the show they wore western suits that were bedecked from head to toe with rhinestones.  For the second half they changed into casual clothes.  They blew the roof off the sucker.  Here's why, Billy Gibbons can play the shit out of the guitar and Frank Beard is a killer drummer.  Dusty Hill lays down a solid foundation.  And they seemed to be having a ball when they were playing.  Billy and Dusty had a huge stage to roam around on, but they're microphones were only about 5-6 feet apart. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2007, 12:13:01 pm »

I kind of related thing; I have a pretty good friend who is (in?) a one man band called El Paso Hot Button.  He has played all over the country, but is like a 20 year old from Newcastle Oklahoma (look it up on Wikipedia, or take my word that it is a horribly conservative small Oklahoma town).  One time he opened for John Cale and I went to that show.  I left before Cale even came on.  The asshole fucked up the Happy Mondays.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2007, 01:12:01 pm »

Did anyone ever get to see James Brown in the flesh? Damn, but he could work a crowd like playing a piano. (Something he never learnt to do, apparently)
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2007, 07:57:02 pm »

my friend/the GM of the radio station is from Augusta Georgia. He is really upset, because he always just said "whatever, I'll see James Brown some day..." and now... he's dead.
And he couldn't get his friends to go to the funeral, either. He didn't have a car.

This is why I am seeing Chuck  Berry as soon as possible.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2007, 09:01:06 pm »

He's from St. Louis.  I wonder if he still lives there.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2007, 09:13:55 pm »

yeah, he does I think-- he plays a few times a year at the restaurant I went to today for lunch. He played there while I was out of town on spring break.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2007, 01:59:02 am »

Be careful if you go to the bathroom at the venue.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Charles Nelson Mandela

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • These aren't the characters we identify with?
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2007, 05:08:57 am »

my friend/the GM of the radio station is from Augusta Georgia. He is really upset, because he always just said "whatever, I'll see James Brown some day..." and now... he's dead.

In 1994, I got offered a free ticket and road trip to a Grateful Dead concert. I thought about it, but I'd just started a new job with weird hours so I was kind of tired that weekend. Besides, I thought, it's the freakin' Grateful Dead. When can't you go to a Dead show?

Moral: When that next Culture Club reunion tour hits your town, go.
Logged
"Hello, I'm Antonin Scalia. Welcome to *slap!* *spank!* Strict Constructionism."

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2007, 08:04:32 pm »

Chuck Berry is something else. He is a total sex machine. I don't know how he does it, well, I mean, aside from being Chuck Muthafuck*n' Berry, but he is a total babe magnet.

When I worked the G8 Summit in Denver in 96 (or maybe it was 97? I don't remember), Chuck Berry was part of the entertainment lineup, as was Eartha Kitt (the embodiment of cool elegance) and a host of others. Chuck spent most of his time backstage chasing Eartha Kitt (no joke, when she came out of her trailer in her smokin' hot red velvet gown for dress rehearsal, he nudged the sound guy and said, "I'm gonna get me some o' that!)... literally, he was chasing her. She, elegantly, refused.

Not to be denied, later at the after-party, I walked in to see Chuck Berry at a little banquette surrounded by hot babes. Like, bikini-model hot. And they were all fawning over him and it looked awfully sincere.

It was something else; really, something to behold. It was like they had to reserve two trailers at the venue: one for Chuck and one for his Game.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2007, 06:31:47 pm »

My first real concert was Gov't Mule last September. I got so high I fell over twice right up near the stage. My boyfriend was pissed but everyone else just kind of thought I was funny.

I haven't really been to a "best concert" yet, as I've been going with my boyfriend so it's more his taste (redneck, stoner, hippie etc) than mine (mostly 60's rock (we have that in common - he's seen Paul twice and I'm so jealous) and weird stuff like Badly Drawn Boy).

I mean, all the concerts I've been to have been hell of good times, but nothing that's really mine. I've seen Gov't Mule, Widespread Panic (several times), String Cheese, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Donna the Buffalo, and Ratdog (Bob Weir). As I said, not precisely my taste, but close enough and certainly enjoyable. Expanding my horizons and all that.

I had high hopes for Bob Weir, whom I saw in Greensboro on the 24th, but that was kind of disappointing.

The best story I have was when I went with my boyfriend and his mom to New Riders of the Purple Sage in October. We were going to smoke pot in the car beforehand, and his mom was scolding us, and then she was like "Give me that" and took several hits. Then she had several beers and I had to take care of her/hold her up for the rest of the night. Except sometimes she got away from me and ended up with a huge bruise on her chin from falling into chairs.
The best part was during the encore - the band was playing "Rainy Day Woman" and I turned around during the chorus to see her yelling "EVERYBODY MUST GET HIGH" and then taking a hit off a HUGE joint. We met the band after that, and while the boyfriend was occupied, she got away from us again. She's tricky. But at least we've bonded now.

Another amusing memory was when the boyfriend took some mushrooms before seeing Panic in Charlotte, and ended up spending half of the first set and the entirety of the second set with his head in my lap, freaking out. The funniest part was when he looked up at me, very calmly, and said "Rachel...am I dying?" I said, "No, you're okay." and he said "okay." and didn't mention it again.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2007, 06:47:02 pm »

Quote
before seeing Panic in Charlotte

Most of my High School was probably at that show.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2007, 06:52:17 pm »

Most of my High School was probably at that show.

It's a little fratty and immature, the vibe at their shows, and I can see why people hate on it, but that's kind of why I like it. It's different from what I'm used to.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2007, 07:19:33 pm »

oh, I mean, sorry if that came across as kind of a dick thing. I just saw the name of my hometown and a band that people there liked, and made the connection.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2007, 08:15:01 pm »

Dude, I think that lady just called you fratty and immature.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up