Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?  (Read 16523 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2007, 08:18:27 pm »

Quote
oh, I mean, sorry if that came across as kind of a dick thing. I just saw the name of my hometown and a band that people there liked, and made the connection.

Oh no, you didn't. I mean, I don't know how you feel about the people in your high school, so I thought I would explain my feelings towards the atmosphere there *just in case*. And I don't think you're fratty and immature, you seem like a very nice young man. I forgot you were in high school actually, which is part of the reason I mistook your statement a bit.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2007, 08:54:33 pm »

oh, no, I'm not in high school. And I certainly was not at that concert. But I was in high school last year, and was surrounded by guys who thought was really Rad to smoke pot and listen to jam bands.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2007, 09:24:46 pm »

Well, to be fair, don't blame pot on that one.

You could be curing cancer and donating your patent to a war orphanage at a Phish show and...

I would still have to have a long conversation with you to determine if you are Rad or not.

Many very Rad people have gone to Phish shows? But they are not in the majority there.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2007, 10:35:28 pm »

Quote
But I was in high school last year, and was surrounded by guys who thought was really Rad to smoke pot and listen to jam bands.

Ah, you went to school with EXACTLY THE KIND OF GUYS I LIKE.

Doc Benway

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 22
  • That's right Stouffer, you help!
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2007, 04:03:38 pm »

The best shows I've seen in the last few years were Akron/Family and Shellac. I Love A/F's records but they are about 10 times better live, and Shellac played my a set that I might as well have hand-picked as it contained all of my favourite songs of theirs (including earlier stuff I really wasn't expecting to hear, such as Wingwalker and Billiard Player Song). Before that, Sonic Youth on the Murray Street tour was pretty awesome (the only time I've managed to get to see them), Neil Young's solo Greendale tour was great though truth be told I'd have rather seen him with Crazy hoss. I've seen the Flaming Lips about 8 times, and they've been great every time, but somehow I think it would be better if I'd only seen them once so that the show seemed more spontaneous, rather then knowing pretty much exactly what was going to happen each time.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2007, 06:49:11 pm »

As much as I love Neil Young i've only seen him perform once.  I am ashamed of this.

That one time was killer awesome though.  He had Booker T and the MG's as his backing band and it was so good.  If you like Booker T and the MG's, last I heard they were working as Joe Walsh's backup band.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2007, 03:23:45 am »

If you like Booker T and the MG's, last I heard they were working as Joe Walsh's backup band.

Wow.  At that rate of descent, soon they'll be backing up Carrot Top.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2007, 03:26:44 am »

Wednesday.
This week.

I am seeing GZA the Genius.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2007, 05:31:46 pm »

If you like Booker T and the MG's, last I heard they were working as Joe Walsh's backup band.

For some reason, my Sirius box decided that I like Booker T so much that any time one of their songs is playing on the network that I get an audible alert, putting them on the same level as SF Forty-Niners football.  To my knowledge, I've never consciously heard the band play, let alone setting an alert.  My wife denies any involvement.  The mysteries of AI.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2007, 04:33:52 am »

GZA was alternatingly awesome and disappointing. It was worth putting off starting a paper, though.
He kept stopping halfway through songs.
he started... at 10. The show was supposed to start at 8. I'm not sure if there were opening acts, as we got there late. he stopped at 11.
he had a DJ, whose job seemed to be to press a button at the start of each song to turn on the beat. Occasionally he changed the volume.
he told us to stay in school. "a dummy ain't worth shit." He went on a thing about how minimum wage hasn't even doubled in so long, while "let's say a Cadillac-- the price has quintupled! sextupled, even!". He said "what is it, like 8 dollars an hour?"
the guy who was rapping with him got us to all yell "Wu-tang" when he went off, but he didn't do an encore.
Then he said "he'll be out to sign CDs and shit,"
which also did not happen.

so, yeah. Let's be honest though, his rhymes were extremely tight.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2007, 09:26:11 pm »

so, yeah. Let's be honest though, his rhymes were extremely tight.

Like his arse by the sound of things.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2007, 06:33:03 pm »

My best show ever was giraffebone at the Golden West in Albuquerque, circa 1994.  ROOOOOOOOOOOCK, oh man just ROOOOOOOOOCK.  I helped carry the singer around while he was crowd surfing.  You know how in the early-90s heyday of moshing, that there was a very different vibe in a mosh pit depending on whether people were actually into the music, or if they just wanted to fuckin MOSH man because MOSHING is SO COOL.  At this show, everyone was into the music.  So insane, so fun.

A very close second:  Jeff Buckley at the 9:30 Club in DC, I guess that would be early 1995.  The first show he did there, not the second one.  The place was full, but during a pause in "Hallelujah," the club was completely, utterly silent.  No chatting, no clinking of glasses, not a goddamn sound.  He was just that riveting.  Of course, when he came back the second time, he was much more popular, and a similar pause was marred by some jackass going "WHOOOOOOOOOO!"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2007, 02:39:45 am »

A very close second:  Jeff Buckley at the 9:30 Club in DC, I guess that would be early 1995.  The first show he did there, not the second one.  The place was full, but during a pause in "Hallelujah," the club was completely, utterly silent.  No chatting, no clinking of glasses, not a goddamn sound.  He was just that riveting.  Of course, when he came back the second time, he was much more popular, and a similar pause was marred by some jackass going "WHOOOOOOOOOO!"

Fuck + you.



I'm gonna see Bad Brains next month when I'm in town - I may have mentioned it. I'm sure it will pretty much be more reggae than hardcore at this point, but I've dreamed of seeing Bad Brains since about 1983, so after 25 years I'm entitled.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2007, 04:18:41 am »

They killed. They absolutely killed. I was as close to HR and Dr. Know as I was to SRV back in the day. So, so, so on time.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Jimi at Isle of Wight? Bad Brains at CBGB's in '82?
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2007, 04:23:11 am »

I am apparently going to see the Allman Bros with Ratdog in early August, and after that, Dave Matthews Band.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up