Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mondegreens 'R' Us  (Read 6428 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Mondegreens 'R' Us
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2003, 05:50:06 am »

So wait...

You thought the line was:

And curse the walls around you HE was such a stupid get?

Really?

He (the walls) was?

I think it doesn't help that they sing "Raleigh" as "Rally," but I can't imagine anyone actually thinking that it was "the walls around" as opposed to "sir walt".

The and Sir sound nothing alike.

Now I think you're just making your mishearings up.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Mondegreens 'R' Us
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2003, 03:46:03 pm »

Another one that occurred to me today: in R.E.M.'s "Begin the Begin," I consistently misheard "the only vote that matters" as "the only bird that matters." And honestly, I still prefer mine -- it repeats earlier bird-hand symbolism of the song and simultaneously means virtually nothing, which means it's a pretty good early R.E.M. lyric.
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
Mondegreens 'R' Us
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2003, 04:52:01 pm »

Here's a few lame ones:


My best friend's twin sister was convinced that "Mirror in the Bathroom" by the (English) Beat was "meet her in the bathroom."

Before I knew the title, thought that Primus "Too Many Puppies" was in fact "Too Many Poppies."  I dunno, it seemed to make sense at the time.  Maybe I thought it was some sort of anti-heroin message (cut me some slack, I was still pretty naive at 17).  "Too many poppies/re trained to kill"?
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Mondegreens 'R' Us
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2003, 03:02:00 am »

Quote from: "jough"
So wait...

You thought the line was:

And curse the walls around you HE was such a stupid get?

Really?

He (the walls) was?



Actually, the exact way I misheard it was And curse the walls around me for such a stupid git
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Mondegreens 'R' Us
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2003, 05:01:30 am »

Looking at that link for misheard lyrics JL posted, I could list about three hundred alone from By The Way that I misheard. But then that's because Keidas never sings that clearly, and his lyrics tend to make little sense anyway, let alone poetic sense.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Mondegreens 'R' Us
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2003, 07:06:37 pm »

Well, I was thinking this morning that we haven't flogged this particular dead hoss again, and in the interests saving time I thought I'd post this odd site, which in addition to detailing misheard song lyrics ad nauseum (and in some cases, inducing nausea with a single entry) has catalogued them in a way that allows some ranking and scoring!

And so we have the most misheard song of all time - "Blinded by the Light"
and many, many of the most creative misheard appropriations of the word "douche" imaginable.

This the same site JLD Posted earlier, but a page dedicated to my favorite misheard lyrics of all time -

Enjoy!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Mondegreens 'R' Us
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2003, 08:39:24 pm »

I had actually never heard of Blinded By the Light until I was watching the Vacant Lot and one of the sketches was about a group of guys getting into a huge fight over the lyrics. Apparently my lack of culture knows no bounds.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Mondegreens 'R' Us
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2003, 12:08:50 am »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I had actually never heard of Blinded By the Light until I was watching the Vacant Lot and one of the sketches was about a group of guys getting into a huge fight over the lyrics. Apparently my lack of culture knows no bounds.

I feel your pain (well, sort of), since I am apparently the only person on the planet Earth who hears the first few lines of "Help Me Rhonda" as intended and not as "since she put me down, there're owls puking in my bed."

(How do you get that, anyway? Or is this a thing I will never, ever get?)
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Mondegreens 'R' Us
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2003, 02:08:01 am »

Although I am not sure what the real words are, I did not picture large birds pelting me with pellets of fur and bone from the first line of the song.

That said: What the hell are the real words?
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Mondegreens 'R' Us
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2003, 02:49:44 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
What the hell are the real words?


Well since she put me down I 've been out doin' in my head
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Mondegreens 'R' Us
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2003, 03:19:28 am »

Huh?

"Since she put me down I have been out doing in my head"

Does he mean out doing-in my head? Like heavy drinking? or doing her in his head? out-doing in his head?

Knowing the real words doesn't help here. The owl puking makes more sense to me.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Mondegreens 'R' Us
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2003, 03:50:19 am »

I always thought it was "since she put me down, I've been all through it in my head." Like he's been working through it, you know?

... Okay, who has Brian Wilson's phone number? Let's settle this.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Mondegreens 'R' Us
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2003, 04:03:58 am »

Oh- um, I can't vouch for any reliability of those lyrics.

If you can find better ones, please post them!
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Mondegreens 'R' Us
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2003, 04:32:18 am »

According to the lyric sheet in the "Ultimate Beach Boys" collection CD, the lyrics are exactly as V-Adore posted.

That site is just plain WRANG, yo.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Mondegreens 'R' Us
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2003, 06:19:31 pm »

It IS the only one that actually makes sense...
Not that I expect the Beach Boys to make sense.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up