Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Weekly recipe -  (Read 21674 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Weekly recipe -
« on: April 02, 2007, 02:20:54 am »

I would like to have a thread for the recipe of the week, from each poster (who is interested, and isn't going to be all Pat with polenta and rendered tofu bites).

Here's mine for this week, fueled by vodka and Black Sabbath (and thanks to those who participated in the Sabbath thread).

Olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped bell pepper
bunch of diced garlic
2 1/2 cups rice
1 lb. pinto beans, drained
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup BBQ sauce

tenderize oil, onion, pepper, garlic

add everything else and heat

roll up in tortillas

enjoy

I eat a lot of basically vegetarian meals. I never eat meat at home, but sometimes I eat chicken. The guy who deals with our landscaping is supposed to bring by some sturgeon tomorrow, which I am down with, because I agree with giraffe. We will see how it goes. This recipe is sort of boring, but it will get you through an evening. I threw in a bunch of red pepper.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 02:35:19 am »

That sounds really good. I just had a slice of the worst pizza I've ever had in my life and it's just about made me want to become a vegetarian. So much disgusting, unnecessary meat on that thing. Uggghhh....

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 03:20:47 am »

I've been pretty much a vegatarian since the first of the year.  I didn't eat any meat until last Sunday.  We were having a birthday celebration for my daughter and my Mom and I grilled a leg o' lamb.  I ate some of that.  Also, I had a pork chop today.  I started eating giraffe occasionally about 2 weeks ago.

It's been surprisingly easy to do.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 03:35:31 am »

I'm by no means vegitarian, but I have been eating the following for breakfast most days:

(All ingredients frozen - you think I'm chopping first thing in the morning?)

2 links Morningstar fake vegitarian sausage
some Potatoes O'Brien
1 Tblsp fat of your choice

Put the above in a small non-stick skillet and heat until the sausage is warmed through and the potatoes take on some color.  Chop the sausage up into bits, then add:

Some chopped spinach
Some Southwest Vegetable blend (Corn, onion, bell pepper, black beans)

Heat and stir until the veggies are warmed and onions turn translucent, then add:

An amount of egg-beaters or similar (Or a egg).

Stir vigorously, creating a hash, then remove from heat when eggs are done.

Eat as-is, or topped with avocado and cheese, or in tortillas as breakfast burritos.

I'm sorry there aren't measurements, but like chopping, measuring does not take place in the morning.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 05:02:40 am »

Sofrito is a Cuban condiment that is used to flavor just about everything. You can make it fresh, or freeze it in ice cube trays so that you can just pop a couple of cubes into soup or whatever. I like to use sofrito in guacamole, curry, crab dip, the black-eyed-pea salsa cruda that I make... just about everything.

There is a similar type of thing in many other cultures. I got to have Seder dinner at the home of a Yemeni Jewish fella in Hawaii, and they have something similar that they call "szug". It's delicious.

SOFRITO

Note: if you're using a food processor, you only have to roughly chop everything. If you're making this by hand, you've gotta mince EVERYTHING. Making this by hand was such a pain in the ass that I went out and spent $20 on a mini food processor at the grocery store, and it really helps.

1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves, also called coriander leaves, chopped
4 aijes dulces (small, hot-sweet peppers that you can get at the grocery store produce section or at international markets)
1 or 2 large bell peppers (sweet, you can use green, red, yellow, orange, etc.), seeded and chopped
1 to 3 fresh hot peppers (you can use jalapeno, Anaheim, Scotch Bonnet, whatever), seeded and chopped (wear gloves or wash your hands THOROUGHLY when you're done... I have a funny story about a guy friend of mine who went to take a leak after chopping peppers...burnination ensued).
2 heads of garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
1 tsp. ground cumin
Olive oil, about 1-5 Tbsp.
Salt and pepper to taste

Blend all the ingredients in a food processor or blender, adding more olive oil and/or water as necessary to blend into a smooth paste. Most families make this weekly.



BLACK EYED PEA SALSA CRUDA

1 can of black eyed peas, rinsed (I use the 15-ounce cans)
1 chopped and seeded sweet bell pepper
3 to 5 Tbsp. sofrito to taste
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish: 1 avocado and a few cilantro leaves

Combine all ingredients except avocado in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate overnight.

Just before serving, slice the avocado in half and remove pit. Slice each avocado half into cubes, turn the skin inside-out to release cubes and gently fold them into the salsa cruda. Discard avocado skin. Top with cilantro leaves.

Serve as a dip with tortilla chips and crackers.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 05:19:04 am by linnea »
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 07:26:18 am »


BLACK EYED PEA SALSA CRUDA

1 can of black eyed peas, rinsed (I use the 15-ounce cans)
1 chopped and seeded sweet bell pepper
3 to 5 Tbsp. sofrito to taste
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish: 1 avocado and a few cilantro leaves

Combine all ingredients except avocado in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate overnight.

Just before serving, slice the avocado in half and remove pit. Slice each avocado half into cubes, turn the skin inside-out to release cubes and gently fold them into the salsa cruda. Discard avocado skin. Top with cilantro leaves.

Serve as a dip with tortilla chips and crackers.


My mom makes something like this.  It is amazing.

I have been a vegetarian for about 11 months.  When I started I said that I would probably eat really good meat occasionally, like at Christmas, Thanksgiving, b-days, etc.  I have eaten meat twice, both times drunk as all hell and with absolutely no other options.  I was starving.  Those were both at least 6 months ago, and while I still don't call myself a vegetarian in Real Life, I do find thought of eating meat basically discusting, for myself anyway.  I am pretty apathetic towards whether or not others want to eat meat, although I will tell others that it is very easy to go without if they ask.  One of my friends just became a vegetarian (it seems the majority now are) and always talks about it.  I work with him and if we do well enough we get like a company cookout.  He will say stuff like "oh, yeah, lets go eat some flesh, I AM A VEGETARIAN"  Even though I agree with him, that bothers me to no end.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 02:06:32 pm »

This is an excellent idea.

I have never eaten a sturgeon. I'm not even sure if I knew you ate them, aside from their eggs. Please report back.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 08:17:17 pm »

An excellent idea indeed! When I have access to my recipe box I'll post my great-grandma's Norwegian meatball recipe. In the meantime, here's an easy, tasty weekday recipe that's nice because all the quantities can be scaled to taste, and based on what you have on hand:

Soba Soup

Chicken breasts
Chopped onion
Minced garlic
Red pepper flakes
Freshly grated ginger
Chicken broth and either vegetable or beef broth (up to 6 cups; any broth that suits your taste will do)
Buckwheat soba noodles
Fresh spinach leaves
Scallion
Fresh cilantro

Season a couple of chicken breasts with salt and pepper and broil until done.

Meanwhile, in a large stockpot, saute onion, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes to taste. Add mushrooms and saute until golden. Add equal parts chicken broth and vegetable broth (or vegetable and beef, according to your preference). Simmer while chicken finishes cooking.

While broth is simmering, cook buckwheat soba noodles according to package directions. Drain well.

Chop some scallions and cilantro and set aside.

When chicken is done, remove from broiler and slice into strips.

Fill bowls with fresh spinach leaves. Top with cooked soba and ladle broth over. Top with chicken strips. Garnish with scallions and cilantro.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 08:29:45 pm »

Can desserts be posted up here, or should they have their own topic?
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 08:44:18 pm »

Can desserts be posted up here, or should they have their own topic?

Dude! No, definitely post dessert recipes here. I posted my White Chocolate Blueberry Cheesecake in another general-recipe thread. Post dessert recipes here! :)
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 08:47:13 pm »

Of course dessert. Dessert is the most important meal of the day.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 08:49:52 pm »

Dessert being only one meal of the day is no way to live.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 09:08:21 pm »

For the record, is it cool for Dudes of Minimal Kitchen Skill to post very simple recipes, or will it be considered a total Hunt's move? (I'm not talking, like, Childhood Sandwich simple here, but things that are basically chicken preparations and such.)
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 09:15:32 pm »

Very simple recipes are like treasure.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 02:05:55 am »

Here's my simple recipe for this week:

Cheerios aux fraises

1 1/2 cup Cheerios-brand cereal
1 cup 1% milk
1/4 cup fresh strawberries (optional)

Pour cereal into cereal bowl.  Pour milk over cereal.  De-stem strawberries and slice into 1/8in wafers.  Place on top.  Eat with spoon, concave side down.

Serve with a side of western omelette bacon, hash browns, toast, orange juice, cheesy grits, two buckwheat pancakes, challa bread french toast with bananas foster on top, sausage patties, a ham steak, and a pot of coffee.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up