Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Weekly recipe -  (Read 21666 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2007, 09:21:14 pm »

Also some people swear by peanut butter and banana. But since these suggestions do not involve jelly perhaps they do not answer the question.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2007, 09:45:05 pm »

My dad has some contraband vegemite with which he pollutes his pb&js.

A friend of mine once asked me if I had dual US/AUS citizenship.  I replied no, they wouldn't take me because I don't like vegemite.
Childhood trauma.  Vegemite != chocolate

*weeps at the memory**
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2007, 10:04:20 pm »


Childhood trauma.  Vegemite != chocolate

*weeps at the memory**

Quoted for shared agony. Slathered marmite on some toast with the expectation that it would be like Nutella, then the only other European bread spread I had had contact with. Diagnosis: ALL BAD.

EDIT: Also, I have not forgotten about the Heath Bar Cake recipe I intended to post, just still looking for it.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2007, 01:54:34 am »

Daaaamn! Now there's one toast combination that I have neglected to try. Maybe tomorrow for brekkie I'll have some toast with PB&J and try a little Marmite on it.

I have only ever tried Marmite and I FRIKKIN' LOVE IT, so I haven't tried other yeast extract spreads such as Vegemite. I got three jars when I was In Town last. I hear that Bovril used to be made from beef, but after the mad cow scare they too switched to a yeast extract, which is vegan like Marmite and Vegemite.
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2007, 10:21:37 am »

I hear that Bovril used to be made from beef, but after the mad cow scare they too switched to a yeast extract, which is vegan like Marmite and Vegemite.

Only it's naaaaaysty! OK,  I may not be the best judge, as I despise marmite. Foul stuff. Disgusting.

Might have to go make marmite on toast...
It's not even a conflicting thing, I just hate it, but daymn, it be about time I had some.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2007, 03:58:47 pm »

Penance?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2007, 04:49:20 pm »

I hear that Bovril used to be made from beef, but after the mad cow scare they too switched to a yeast extract, which is vegan like Marmite and Vegemite.

Yep, it went vegetarian in 2004 partly because of BSE and also to expand the market.

There was no demand for it because it was shite, so it went back to delicious meat juice. God, it's fuck*ng delicious.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2007, 03:52:38 pm »

Sex up your PB&J by frying it.  Make the sandwich as you normally would, then butter the outside bread surfaces and put it in a flat pan over medium heat, as if you were making a "grilled" cheese sandwich.  Let the bread brown a little and enjoy the melty sweetness.

If you want to get seven-kinky, sprinkle some powdered sugar on that bitch before you dig in.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2007, 05:11:47 am »

The other day I par-toasted some waffles (heated but not brown), then spread some peanut butter on them and returned them to finish toasting.  I cut them into strips and dipped them in honey before eating.

It was so good I burned my tongue but couldn't stop.  I can only imagine what this would taste like when made with real waffles.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2007, 06:22:29 am »

The other day I par-toasted some waffles (heated but not brown), then spread some peanut butter on them and returned them to finish toasting.  I cut them into strips and dipped them in honey before eating.

It was so good I burned my tongue but couldn't stop.  I can only imagine what this would taste like when made with real waffles.

Toaster waffles with peanut butter and karo is basically the stuff dreams are made of.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2007, 06:36:44 am »

this guy was telling me that in his hometown (Carbondale, IL) they grill bagels. It was a tradition started by accident. They put really weird, random-sounding things on them (cream cheese, bacon bits, apple slices, butter) and there's also a weird rivalry thing-- there are two guys in town that sell these bagels, and one is essentially the "orthodox" where the other has experimented with toppings over time.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2007, 06:55:36 am »

What's unusual about a grilled bagal?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2007, 09:25:22 am »

My favourite childhood sandwich was two layers, the bottom was ultra crunchy peanut butter and sultanas, the top was honey and sultanas.
Sometimes banana in there too.
Very Tasty.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2007, 02:09:09 pm »

My favourite childhood sandwich was two layers, the bottom was ultra crunchy peanut butter and sultanas, the top was honey and sultanas.
Sometimes banana in there too.
Very Tasty.

What are sultanas? Are dried grapes aka raisins, or are they currants or something? I'm confused.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2007, 02:22:03 pm »

Yeah dried grapes. Not sure what the difference is except I think raisins are generally smaller and sweeter, possibly a different grape variety or something.

Hmmm wikipedia tells me that sultana is the name for a type of white seedless grape, especially in it's form as a raisin. So I guess raisin in the general term and sultana is a specific variety. But over here any dried grape is a sultana.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up