Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Weekly recipe -  (Read 21644 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2007, 03:31:56 pm »

Yeah dried grapes. Not sure what the difference is except I think raisins are generally smaller and sweeter, possibly a different grape variety or something.

As far as I know, though I may be wrong, a sultana is a white grape, and a raisin a red grape... Just how I've always thought of them though.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2007, 07:10:29 pm »

I have a pathetic hodgepodge of food right now since I'm moving and can't go to the grocery store.

However...
I have arborio rice, olive oil, an onion, boullion, and some cheese. I also have pesto and sundried tomatoes. I think that jough already posted a better recipe for risotto, but here's my pathetic attempt. My family is Sicilian, and they haven't branched out to other cuisines of Italy, so I've never had risotto before. At first my little mind could not conceive of a rice dish that did not involve being covered tightly and cannot be removed under any circumstances.

1 cup arborio rice
3.25 cups boiling boullion (heh! that was fun to type--yes, i'm a huge nerd)
1 onion
1 clove garlic, finely minced or crushed
3 T olive oil
1/2 cup shredded parmasean or other favorite cheese (omit if vegetarian because the "cheez bestitutes" are just godawful)
Salt & pepper, although the boullion will likely be plenty salty enough.
(if you have it, sundried tomatoes and pesto)
Of course, you can also add cooked meat at the end if you wish. I don't usually keep meat around the house that often, so I omitted it. If i'm going to eat meat, it's a lot nicer if someone else prepares it. How's that for bein' a hypocritical omnivore?

Basically I just followed the directions on the Arborio rice, but here they are.

In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil and then saute the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
Stir in the rice, letting it absorb what's in the pan.
Stir in 1/4 of the boullion, and stir frequently until all the liquid is absorbed.
Continue adding the boullion in small amounts and stir frequently. This should take 15-18 minutes. As jough mentioned, "keep stirring, asshole!"
Once all the liquid has been absorbed, then for the final stirring add the cheese, sundried tomato, and pesto.
Stir thoroughly, check seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed, and serve immediately.

This stuff is so insanely good. The rice is firm to the bite and perfect. I am now officially a risotto fan. Next I'm going to try the breakfast CUNT risotto recipe that Teodor made for Chris.


Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2007, 10:55:48 pm »

My favourite childhood sandwich was two layers, the bottom was ultra crunchy peanut butter and sultanas, the top was honey and sultanas.
Sometimes banana in there too.
Very Tasty.

I like this definitely with bananas, and on toasted raisin bread. That's right, raisin bread with extra raisins in the sandwich. We're through the looking glass here, people!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2007, 02:23:58 am »

What's unusual about a grilled bagal?

Well, I don't know what a "bagal" is, but generally bagels are toasted, not grilled.

I can see how grilled would be fine, though, especially if they use oil and make the inside all crispy like a grilled cheese ought to be.

If I bought a panino press I'd use it every day, and would eventually die from eating too much delicious and unhealthy food.  I mean, panini are many things, but healthy ain't one of them.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2007, 02:59:51 am »

* shuffles in, late to the party, knocks over someone's drink*

Really?  I've had a panino press all my adult life that was handed down from my grandmother.  It was made in Europe the 1940's, has a wooden handle and will one day burn down my house.  I've found it to be a nice option for healthy fillings that would otherwise be to watery like tomato, grilled portabello and onion and some nice light cream cheese.  This makes a sandwich of delicious proportions.  I use a silicone basting brush to ever so lightly brush the press with a tiny bit of oil, and that's all it takes.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2007, 03:16:14 am »

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to eat like that all the time.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2007, 04:35:17 am »

I've had a panino press all my adult life that was handed down from my grandmother.  It was made in Europe the 1940's, has a wooden handle and will one day burn down my house.

Take it next door.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2007, 05:11:47 am »

Take it next door.

Spoken very succinctly.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2007, 08:49:45 am »

Well, I don't know what a "bagal" is

I believe he meant "bengal" as in the tiger.  Toasted.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2007, 09:16:05 am »

I believe he meant "bengal" as in the tiger.  Toasted.

Which is delicious.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to eat like that all the time.

You and me both. I've been marvelling at how well I am eating lately because I am remember to make myself a chicken sandwich for lunch at least 4 days a week.

Also: Raisin bread sandwich sounds like a delicious treat indeed.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2007, 05:28:37 pm »

what it is like eating like that all the time:

you are still underweight, but your mother comments that you are getting a "little belly." You are vaguely disgusted with yourself. you continue to eat horrible foods.

one day you wake up and eat three doughnuts for breakfast. at 1 PM.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2007, 08:42:58 pm »

what it is like eating like that all the time:

you are still underweight, but your mother comments that you are getting a "little belly." You are vaguely disgusted with yourself. you continue to eat horrible foods.

one day you wake up and eat three doughnuts for breakfast. at 1 PM.

If this is at least partially in response to my post, I meant eating delicious, carefully prepared and somewhat exotic foodstuffs all the time.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2007, 01:30:57 am »

oh. nevermind, then. I don't eat like that.

I'm not sure what I thought you were referring to. Hm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2007, 03:12:12 am »

I do eat "like that" most of the time.  And what it is like is this: you develop food-related ADD.  Most regular food (aka things that are simple and easy to cook) becomes "boring," and you occasionally ruin an entire dinner because you constructed it entirely on an anecdote you overheard on a bus from  stranger.  But also there are triumphs that are almost mystical. Like perfectly done sate skewers, peanut sauce from scratch, and baby bok choy.  Or that one Sunday where I spent the whole day making mole poblano.  Slow food is basically my obsession.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Weekly recipe -
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2007, 03:14:50 am »

I do eat "like that" most of the time.  And what it is like is this: you develop food-related ADD.  Most regular food (aka things that are simple and easy to cook) becomes "boring," and you occasionally ruin an entire dinner because you constructed it entirely on an anecdote you overheard on a bus from  stranger.  But also there are triumphs that are almost mystical. Like perfectly done sate skewers, peanut sauce from scratch, and baby bok choy.  Or that one Sunday where I spent the whole day making mole poblano.  Slow food is basically my obsession.

That's sort of beautiful.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up