Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare  (Read 6825 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 05:31:41 pm »

wombat-- I don't particularly care whether they keep him on or not. I am not planning on taking The History of Yoga, or "Environmental Sustainability and Communal Living." What was bothering me was my friends telling me that the Uni should keep him on even though he doesn't do his job, because that'd be the nice thing to do. And that I was a dick for not agreeing with this.

I have read most of the significant (ie: many-posted) older threads, but not all of them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 06:02:51 pm »

Oh, agreed. They should keep him because if they fire him for insufficient cause they will get sued, not to be nice.

But you know, teaching well is generally not a requirement at a large research university, which if I am not mistaken is the kind of place you attend?  No one ever seems to tell college applicants that if you want all your instructors to be good classroom teachers, you should apply to a small liberal arts college where quality teaching is the number one consideration in hiring and evaluation. Not a large university where many other factors have to be taken into consideration.  There are many reasons to go to such a place but you have to be willing to make some sacrifices as far as classroom teaching.

Note that I am desperately sticking to this and other thread-wandering topics because I was so horrified by Ray's hair that I am afraid to even go back and look at today's strip again.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2007, 06:05:06 pm »

Note that I am desperately sticking to this and other thread-wandering topics because I was so horrified by Ray's hair that I am afraid to even go back and look at today's strip again.

What scared me wasn't the hair, it was the tiny little dimpled chin. Perfect, but ew.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2007, 06:14:57 pm »

oh, also, he doesn't do research.

Originally the argument was "so what if he doesn't do research! he should still be able to teach!"
now they are keeping him on for night classes, and summer classes. So it's "he should get full pay, and health care!"

apparently some people like him a lot, though. In the way you liked your high-school teachers who let you talk about cool stuff in class, and didn't assign much work.

yeah, I have nothing worthwhile to say about the Cat Gay Porn.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2007, 07:43:01 pm »

TOUAMB: We're about Exegesis. And, uh, wandering from topic when it suits the thread. (I have nothing more to say about the strip either, honestly, but I do love the word "exegesis.")
Logged

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2007, 08:00:06 pm »

But you know, teaching well is generally not a requirement at a large research university, which if I am not mistaken is the kind of place you attend?  No one ever seems to tell college applicants that if you want all your instructors to be good classroom teachers, you should apply to a small liberal arts college where quality teaching is the number one consideration in hiring and evaluation. Not a large university where many other factors have to be taken into consideration.  There are many reasons to go to such a place but you have to be willing to make some sacrifices as far as classroom teaching.

I went to a rather small (in terms of campus size) tech school, and god damn were there a lot of awful teachers.  While there were a handful of excellent computer science professors, it was definitely a small percentage, while inexplicably (for such a tech school), all of the humanities professors seemed extremely competent and interesting.  But perhaps this is just a side-effect of technology-related courses: those who are exceptionally into such things (enough so to teach them) probably have not developed the social interaction skills required to be a compelling lecturer, perhaps?

So it feels like all of my programmin' knowledge has come from my own personal studies or when I went beyond the project requirements, and now I wish I had pursued a degree more aligned with photography or literature, just because I think it would have been a much more enlightening experience.
Logged
~

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2007, 08:09:30 pm »

Rod, The gay cat porn actor.
 AugustWest, Esq.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 03:30:35 pm by NYU »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2007, 08:15:22 pm »

That is way creepy. Can'd.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2007, 08:35:38 pm »

HEY!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2007, 08:38:47 pm »

Rod, The gay cat porn actor.
AugustWest, Esq.

CAN.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2007, 08:39:14 pm »

Fuck you for making me laugh out loud at work!

JUST FUCK YOU CANN'D STYLEZ!

Wait... oh yeah, you're two different people. Keep forgetting.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2007, 10:41:00 pm »

I had an interesting point to make about the merits of good teaching vs. expertise in a particular subject area and which should be valued in tertiary level education but that just went out the fuck*ng window. A can for A-CAP and a can for AW; because it's rough looking like  a gay porn star cartoon cat.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2007, 10:45:18 pm »

Rod, The gay cat porn actor.
AugustWest, Esq.

Good job.

I don't have photoshop, but if I did, I'd be putting some cat ears on Aug in the picture.  Anybody?  Anybody?

A can for the man who's cartoon twin takes it in the can, and one for A-CAP for posting it too.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2007, 11:32:38 pm »

This was done in Seashore, not Photoshop, but what the hell:

Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 4.03.2007 - every fat dude's worst nightmare
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2007, 12:25:59 am »


(My cat is actually standing up in that picture. It is so fat and fluffy that her belly brushes the floor as it moves.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 02:01:15 am by NYU »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up