Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Poll

Mixdisk 2007 - Yea or Nay?

All hell of such as yes dogg.
- 19 (95%)
Why make a mixdisc just to bug a guy?  Let's don't and say we did!
- 0 (0%)
I am Son of Rodney.  It is rumored that I don't like music.
- 1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 19


Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)  (Read 8666 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
« on: April 04, 2007, 06:47:40 am »

Judy has proposed best mixdisc as an award category for this year's TOUAMBies, but noted that not everyone heard them the last go-around.  It's been almost a full year since then, and there's a lot of new blood on the boards now such that it could be different and exciting.  Plus, I already have my own mix that is basically finished and just needs liner notes and some nice art.  What say you Party People?
Logged

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 06:53:56 am »

I say yes to mixdiscs! But how long would we have to make the mix, and what sort of music would qualify?
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 07:31:09 am »

I say yes to mixdiscs! But how long would we have to make the mix, and what sort of music would qualify?

I myself am one of the people who was not around last time, but I gather it's whatever you want, in however much time you want.  That would seem to be the arrangement most in keeping with the spirit of TOUAMB, anyway.
Logged

Charles Nelson Mandela

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • These aren't the characters we identify with?
    • View Profile
Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 07:42:20 am »

I vote yes. I like getting things. And making things.

And I think every disc should include at least one Cure song, since being Not Cats, we can never actually get 239,000 miles away from them anyway.
Logged
"Hello, I'm Antonin Scalia. Welcome to *slap!* *spank!* Strict Constructionism."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 07:43:14 am »

I made a mix between that last swap and now.  I offered it to the board and my offer was completely ignored.  Completely!

I even made a best of disc that included my favorites from that last swap.

Ignored.  Completely.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 07:45:05 am »

I am so making my "Ultimate Pierrot Lunaire" mixtape now.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 02:24:08 pm »

I made a mix between that last swap and now.  I offered it to the board and my offer was completely ignored.  Completely!

I even made a best of disc that included my favorites from that last swap.

Ignored.  Completely.

Aw crap! that is no good, paul. You make hella awesome mixdiscs. I want one, but I'm too lazy to make one to send you in return.

Seriously, party people. Swap discs with Paul, you will be glad you did.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 07:10:50 pm »

Paul, I still have my copy of your mega-mix. I will listen to it, I swear.

Anyway, I have a suggestion for this swap, since it's something I wanted to suggest on this board anyway: how about a one-artist mixdisc swap? That is, a swap of mixes composed entirely of one artist/band's music. This can be as themed or non-themed as you want: do a proper theme, do a "Best Of...", do "Twenty Random Songs," whatever. The point is to try and create something interesting without any band variety coming into play. I'd love to hear what people would come up with, and it's an excellent way to get exposure for artists people may not have heard of or who are indispensable.

(I've been working on two themed R.E.M. mixdiscs, personally...)
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 07:35:45 pm »

Every time I try to write a feature script, I come up with a "soundtrack album" to write to.

Man, if I knew how to... rip mp3s or burn discs, I'd make a mixdisc of the soundtract to my 9/11 script "The Slow Hours".

There would be some sweet music on that album, if somewhat downbeat and depressing.

Which is subject appropriate, of course.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 08:06:31 pm »

Paul, I still have my copy of your mega-mix. I will listen to it, I swear.

What!, you ain't listetned to that shit?  I figured you most of all would dig it.  It's got Cake, Ben Folds Five, Flaming Lips.  It was practically made with you specifically in mind.  Even though I made it before I knew you.

You have v1-6, you don't have v7 because you ignored me.   Completely.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 09:01:32 pm »

What!, you ain't listetned to that shit?  I figured you most of all would dig it.  It's got Cake, Ben Folds Five, Flaming Lips.  It was practically made with you specifically in mind.  Even though I made it before I knew you.

You have v1-6, you don't have v7 because you ignored me.   Completely.

I'm listening to v1 right now. Feel free to slip a copy of v7 in once we do this swap. Cool?
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 10:38:22 pm »

Yeah I want to get my mix on. I might try to do an all-aussie mix-disk. Hopefully slip in some bands you folks won't have heard of.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 10:52:59 pm »

This sounds fairly awesome. Count me in.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 10:53:19 pm »

ok, paul. Urgent question:
were your discs labeled with an acronym, and then a number?
did one of them have a Strokes song on it?

I might have forgotten what they were, and told my brother "I don't care if you say it isn't yours, I know it isn't mine." and put it on his desk.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Thee Grande Mycks Dysske Swappe (2007 Edition)
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 11:07:37 pm »

ok, paul. Urgent question:
were your discs labeled with an acronym, and then a number?
did one of them have a Strokes song on it?

I might have forgotten what they were, and told my brother "I don't care if you say it isn't yours, I know it isn't mine." and put it on his desk.

Damn, that's as bad as leaving them on the top of a dumpster.  My disc are like Andrew WK to you.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up