Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."  (Read 5035 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 04:27:02 pm »

I'm at work, so I'm afraid to google moomin

I have to admit, I was a bit apprehensive about clicking my achewood.com bookmark this morning.  We know Onstad isn't particularly shy about his cartoon cat anatomy.  I'm a bit surprised that he's being somewhat coy this time.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 04:37:57 pm »

He isn't being coy, though.

Rod's sex parts are clearly so horrific that it just makes good story sense to not reveal them until the time is very very ripe.

Like "Jaws" or "Alien".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 04:42:45 pm »

I'm at work, so I'm afraid to google moomin

Moomins are perfectly work-safe, unless you have a great fear of their staring, accusatory, soulless eyes.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

hammish

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 33
  • Hammish has not been renewed for 2009.
    • View Profile
Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 06:15:43 pm »

He isn't being coy, though.

Rod's sex parts are clearly so horrific that it just makes good story sense to not reveal them until the time is very very ripe.

Like "Jaws" or "Alien".

The time for cat junk could ripen as soon as tomorrow. I shall wear welding goggles (perhaps a dentist's lead apron) tomorrow when I check Achewood. Or would that just jinx me for a "strip returns Friday" ?
Logged

Enkidu

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 13
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • I think my hearts explodin! THESE KNIVES!
    • View Profile
Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 06:44:08 pm »

The time for cat junk could ripen as soon as tomorrow. I shall wear welding goggles (perhaps a dentist's lead apron) tomorrow when I check Achewood. Or would that just jinx me for a "strip returns Friday" ?
What jinxes you are the creepy eyes on your avatar.  Now I've got a mental image of that face floating over me, a couple of hands reaching out from behind a lead apron clutching a dentist drill and pick.  "Open wide for me!"  D:  I am horrified.

Best line in this comic is "Act like you ate the candy, Rod.  But also act like you deserved it."  Genius.  I may have to try this out.  Damn straight I ate that candy!
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 07:06:19 pm »

What, no love for the alt-text? MARS... NEEDS... HUGGINS, indeed.
Logged

Doc Benway

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 22
  • That's right Stouffer, you help!
    • View Profile
Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 07:31:25 pm »

This probably won't mean much to non-british people (which I guess is most of you), but Rod Huggins really reminds me of Jeremy Spake, whose naked body (even with junk tactfully hidden) is something i never, ever wanted to contemplate.
Logged

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 07:49:08 pm »

I considered taking a can for the infliction of that mental image, but I think that's trauma you need to share if you're ever to get through it.

Ryabovsky

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10
  • bool DisagreementBox(bool a) {a = true; return a;}
    • View Profile
Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 08:02:09 pm »

You know, after the discussion of the last few days I was horribly afraid to find out what "moomin" was, thinking it was some kind of Swedish analogue to German schisse porn or something like that.

Instead, it turns out to be something more like the Swedish teletubbies, or maybe Muzzy.

It frightens me that I'm a little disappointed by this.
Logged

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 08:13:58 pm »

But Moomins are so scary! Have you seen their evil staring eyes that can see you darkest fears? And their bland faces that hide all sorts of terrible secrets and death wishes. Their ears only exist to hear you scream in terror.

Do not be frightened by disappointment. Be frightened by the Moomins.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 08:41:05 pm »

But Moomins are so scary! Have you seen their evil staring eyes that can see you darkest fears? And their bland faces that hide all sorts of terrible secrets and death wishes. Their ears only exist to hear you scream in terror.

Do not be frightened by disappointment. Be frightened by the Moomins.

I thought you guys were using a weird term for Mormons, and I was really confused.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 08:55:26 pm »

I'm semi-intrigued by how old-school the Moomins apparently are (mid 1950's!).  After receiving chuan's reassurance about lack of NSFW-ness (my jaded soul is resistant to the emptiness of the eyes she quailed about), my initial Google-Image-Search (GIS) provoked the thought surely the Japanese are involved.  I was right, somehow they found out about this incarnation of Nordic schadenfreud (or vahingonilo as seems appropriate) and subverted it into happy-happy-joy-joy chibi stuff in the 1990's.  There seems to be a deep vein of cross cultural irony to be mined here.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 09:35:44 pm »

I'm semi-intrigued by how old-school the Moomins apparently are (mid 1950's!).  After receiving chuan's reassurance about lack of NSFW-ness (my jaded soul is resistant to the emptiness of the eyes she quailed about), my initial Google-Image-Search (GIS) provoked the thought surely the Japanese are involved.  I was right, somehow they found out about this incarnation of Nordic schadenfreud (or vahingonilo as seems appropriate) and subverted it into happy-happy-joy-joy chibi stuff in the 1990's.  There seems to be a deep vein of cross cultural irony to be mined here.

Do you write for the Atlantic Monthly or something?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 09:41:00 pm »

I have to confess, I was reading Penny Arcade just now, and Tycho's style seems to have rubbed off on me.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: 4.4.2007 - "Death of a Salesman. Work it. Work it."
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 10:12:19 pm »

Have any of y'all actually read Moomin stuff? Mayhaps I am overly fond of Scandinavia, but I think it is pretty much the best thing ever.

I had a nightmare when I was twelve where Moominpappa walked in on Moomintroll getting his bone on with the Snork Maiden.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up