Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuck...insomnia!  (Read 4459 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Fuck...insomnia!
« on: April 08, 2007, 08:49:09 am »

Augh. This sucks. It's late and I can't sleep for shit. I'm on call so I can't take my insomnia meds as per usual.

Any of the rest of you suffer from being deprived of sweet, delicious sleep?
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 08:54:48 am »

I am not so much an insomniac, but I have fucked up my schedule enough where I sleep from about 7 am to 3 pm.  I can get into these insane sleep patterns within like 5 days, but it takes forever to break it.  I tried staying up all night thursday to fix the problem, but instead went to sleep Friday night at 9 to 3 am, then slept from 9 am to 3 pm Saturday morning/afternoon.

I am trying to sleep right now.


Edit:  Insomnia fuel:  http://tv-links.co.uk/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 09:02:08 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 09:36:18 am »

My legs are hell of sore from work earlier and for some reason (I)we have evolved to not sleep when were in pain. This was a lame evolution.
Also- thanks for the link Johnny Come Lately.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »

I had some wonderful insomnia the other night. It really does suck, and nothing I try really helps. I tend to just have it where I can't get to sleep for ages, be it due to leg pain (damn restless legs - though not so much anymore) or nothing much, or those nights where I just never get to sleep no matter how tired I get.

My mom always swore by nutmeg, lots of it ground into a hot drink, but it doesn't do anything for me if I'm having one of my true insomniac nights. And I can't really get anything but herbal sleeping pills and they suck.

Hope you did get some sleep in the end...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 05:13:31 pm »

I got up around 3AM and made some chamomile tea. I should have covered up my alarm clock, because few things suck worse than staring at the clock every 10 minutes and thinking, "GO TO SLEEP" but you can't. of course, I was sleeping really well when my stupid alarm went off. I haven't been to church in ages, so I guess I should go today. Need to stop playing on the intarwub and get in the shower...

I had really bizarre dreams, though. I dreamt that my ex moved back here (not the Crap Dude, but a really awesome guy who moved back to Florida after his tour with the USCG was done. I should have gone with him). Then his ex showed up with his dog, but strangely it was like we were all friends. Weird. Then we went to the airport and he got kidnapped by terrorists who threatened to bomb the whole place. I was like, "Dammit! Take his ex instead! Give him back!"
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 05:16:34 pm by linnea »
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 06:15:05 pm »

I dreampt I was in a monty python movie. A really early one that no one had ever seen. So instead of it being funny, it was more... pathetic. First I was trying to buy alcohol to bring to my grandfather in rehab. Then, this guy came up to our table at a restaurant (four of us) and gave us three ecstasy tablets. Then, we were fleeing from The King (?) and had to close this gate... but we didn't have the key. So we tried to hide by jumping in the water, but our armor bogged us down and we almost died.
Then, I decided that my last act as an Alive man should be to find the princess... and...
it turned into a different kind of dream. Or rather, it was about to probably, but I woke up.

also: yeah, nutmeg is hell of a drug. Apparently it's really toxic, though-- almost as bad as Heroin in terms of how easy it is to accidentally kill yourself with it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 06:51:09 pm »

also: yeah, nutmeg is hell of a drug. Apparently it's really toxic, though-- almost as bad as Heroin in terms of how easy it is to accidentally kill yourself with it.

30g or more, apparently... So, not that easy, really.

I'm now shattered... And it's what, 7.40. That and I doubt I'll get to sleep that early tonight, and what with this conference coming up, I'm going to have be getting up at 6.30 or so every morning. I guess I'll go back to smoking too much and drinking as much coffee as I can manage before the stomach cramps set in.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 06:59:15 pm »

well, the measure was "effective" dose (I guess the dose which would induce hallucinations?) vs lethal dose. On the scale of drugs, it was the second most toxic in terms of this ratio.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 07:33:01 pm »

I used to have mad insomnia.  The best cure I can recommend is getting a boyfriend.  This is not at all snide.  I used to have insomnia for days and days at a time.  My guy sleeps like the dead.  The joke I always tell him (funny for me, not him) is that an ax murderer could come into our bedroom, hack me up into bits and leave a neat pile of Melanie on the bed next to him, and he'd wake up in the morning to find me, unaware of what happened.  But I digress.  Since he's able to sleep so well, if I'm having the insomnia, I make him put me to sleep.  Last night, I'd had a massive Slurpee and was sure the sugar would keep me up all night, so I made him tell me in detail about the storyline of the game cube game he's playing.  I woke up this morning refreshed. 

I used to make him tell me stories about a fictional bear I'd made up named " Sleepy Sleeperton the Sleeptime Bear" but this mostly made him angry, because he's not a writer and couldn't make up anything creative, so I'd take over, and I thought this bear was just hilarious and was generally sleep giddy about Sleepy Sleeperton the Sleeptime Bear, which lead to no slumber at all.

Before the SO was in my life, what I would sometimes do is work on math equations in my head.  Also, I'd count sheep, but not really count them, just envision them in immaculate detail - their shiny eyes, their wool, how their bodies are shaped, how they would look if they were floating over my bed.... odd, but sort of fun.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 07:36:50 pm »

I'm disapointed Mel.  I thought you were going to tell us that when you are feeling insomnia he would give you sweet sweet lovin' until you fell asleep.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 08:40:32 pm »

Don't do nutmeg.

There is no reason for that.


(well maybe do it to go to sleep, but not to get high).
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 10:20:44 pm »

I find that falling asleep all cuddled up with some warm chick is pretty effective.
this is moot if you are hot because it is summer. in this case, the cuddle is death.

but let's be honest-- after a childhood dominated by insomnia, I now fall asleep at the drop of a hat. A dark classroom, sitting on a couch, sitting in a car, reading on my bed; instant sleep. I am not sure why my sleep patterns have changed in this way.

having someone talk to you until you're sleepy helps, too. My sleep problems stopped when I had my first girlfriend-- we used to talk on the phone until we were both sleepy. I would fall asleep almost immediately.

she then ruined any help she gave me by causing me many sleepless nights. you know, with the cheating on me with my best friend and all.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 10:23:13 pm »

mel, that's awesome advice. But if such things were so easy to get, I'd have one already. I can't find a non-crap dude in this town, I swear.

Being a twin, I hardly ever slept alone for the first ten years of my life, until me and kellichou got separate rooms. Even when we were little and had separate beds, we'd climb into bed together like little hamsters, curl up, and go to sleep.

I guess our parents thought it was bad, because they'd always come into the room and make me go back to my own bed. WTF?

Anyway, I sleep a lot better when there's someone with me, but I haven't had an SO in a long time, and the wombie is 4,000 miles away.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 11:22:45 pm »

She'd probably still perform security blanket duty if asked however.  Siblings are like that (at least, mine are - although I haven't slept with any of them in years).

For me, nothing beats insomnia like late night sex.  Sadly, for my wife it sometimes has the opposite effect.  I have to pick those moments carefully.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

kellichou

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 90
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 87
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck...insomnia!
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 03:02:35 am »

Being a twin, I hardly ever slept alone for the first ten years of my life, until me and kellichou got separate rooms. Even when we were little and had separate beds, we'd climb into bed together like little hamsters, curl up, and go to sleep.

Yeahh!  Sleeping all curled together like hamsters was the best.  Makes sense, considering we as wee embryos developed side-by-side--we've never known life without each other!  <cue Awwww moment>.  Poor Wombie, insomnia sucks the llama's ass!
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up