Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How popular is Achewood, really?  (Read 3850 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Formica

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
    • View Profile
Re: How popular is Achewood, really?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 09:09:44 pm »

I saw a guy at University and Sacramento in Berkeley on a bike wearing a Special Boy shirt, and a hipster-looking young lady at Bimbo's for a They Might Be Giants show wearing the Science shirt. I was sporting Achewater at the time, but I think it just embarassed her so I just chuckled and moved on.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How popular is Achewood, really?
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 09:36:45 pm »

damn, I need some hipster-looking ladies around here to like Achewood.

also: I need an achewood shirt. I am yet to buy one. I might buy one over the summer, when I buy a poster for my new room.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: How popular is Achewood, really?
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 09:47:34 pm »

Were you at U.Va. at the time? 'Cause I saw a guy wearing a Special Boy hoodie about three years ago. I might have even made a comment.

It might shed light on the Charlottesville connection, 'cause I've got a few friends down here who really like it.

I was indeed in C-ville. I was at the Pav eating crappy pizza. We were there for the film festival when the theme was $. According to vafilm.com that places this at fall 2003.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: How popular is Achewood, really?
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 11:05:25 pm »

Virginia is for Achewood lovers.
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: How popular is Achewood, really?
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 11:15:06 pm »

Quote
Virginia is for Achewood lovers.

It SO is.

In other news, my little brother ordered me a bunny ambulance shirt on the twentieth, and it still has not arrived. WHERE IS IT, MR. ONSTAD.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How popular is Achewood, really?
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 11:26:08 pm »

Onstad slacks like hell with the stuff. Ive waited months.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

katal

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8
    • View Profile
Re: How popular is Achewood, really?
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 01:28:44 am »

The great thing about the 'what we need more of..' shirt is that people who don't even know of achewood seem to appreciate it.  People have said to me, "that's true!!" and such

I've had that happen, too.

A few years ago on a college campus in California I saw a guy with a "It is impossible to have a good day" shirt (Did I get that right? Since the shirt's no longer available I can't remember). We talked for a minute about Achewood, which he pronounced "H-wood".

That's it, though. I've never had anyone recognize my Science shirt. I've seen a few other webcomic shirts around (Diesel Sweeties, Exploding Dog, what I think was a Penny Arcade garment), but that is all.

Obviously Onstad must be doing well, though. I say this because I can't imagine any scenerio where one's wife had a baby, and she was still cool with her husband spending many hours each day drawing profane cats, if he wasn't making a decent living off of it.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: How popular is Achewood, really?
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 03:26:28 am »

The great thing about the 'what we need more of..' shirt is that people who don't even know of achewood seem to appreciate it.  People have said to me, "that's true!!" and such, and if they ask where the shirt is from, they never believe me when I tell them it is actually a cat, not a dog.

Amusingly, this once happened to me with my Rene-Magritte-homage Wigu shirt, with Topato and "Ceci n'est pas une potato." A cheerful old lady commented that, indeed, that certainly wasn't a potato; obviously it was some kind of duck.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How popular is Achewood, really?
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 04:16:33 am »

No dude that ain't making bank can afford to join the Bacon of the Month club.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up