Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee  (Read 6886 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« on: April 13, 2007, 01:16:48 am »

an angel gets a plantar wart

There's so many vaguely awesome lines. Other potential topic names include "She's so pretty, a dog barks!" and "well piss down a peppermint cane".

Oh, and AIM has a 16 character limit. I am now "EndOfTimesWigger".
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 01:29:47 am »

Goddamnit. I hate the word wigger, my redneck boyfriend says it all the time and I always tell him to stop. Now I'll start giggling next time he says it and it will destroy my entire point.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 01:38:29 am »

_end_of_times_wigger_

That is why Philippe Times keeps it real all day every day 2 strong 2 long



Man, is there anything worse than forgetting the password?  I went to the bank a long time ago to set up online banking, and I've been trying to figure out the password for like six months!  Totally ruined the concept!
Logged
ACHIEVE

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 01:42:32 am »

I promise each and every one of you that the very next time I need to refer to someone who has an offensive body odor, I will say that "he has the onions."
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 01:51:49 am »

I love Philippe. Too classic. I love it how Philippe uses the spoilers-warning to notify people when the cusses begin and end, and then Beef just cusses up a storm at the end when he talks about laying Philippe's newspaper out in Quark Xpress or whatever he uses.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 02:24:14 am »

Quote from: RMJ12345
my redneck boyfriend says it all the time

Call me closed-minded but... it is hard to reconcile, in my mind, "digging Achewood" and "dating a redneck".

Perhaps I only knew the most virulent strain of redneck in my youth, getting drunk on Coors Light and crashing ATVs into gravestones, getting drunk on Coors Light and screaming homophobic curses at people who aren't there, getting drunk on Coors Light and making things smell like Coors Light... and so on.

Perhaps there are rednecks who just sort of wear dusty denim and maybe mention NASCAR too often and other than that are Fine People. I am open to this idea. I just... haven't met them.

Where I grew up, we had the real Amish about 15 miles east of us. Not the cute tourist Amish who, like, run tours and sell butter and whatnot. Filthy paranoiacs who beat their women in public and allow their property to serve as safe havens for meth labs. Disgusting hateful shoeless freaks.

Whenever anyone would spend some time where I came from, they would always be surprised that there are other kinds of Amish who aren't... people in cute little costumes with cute little accents who make ice cream. There are Terrible Amish.

Perhaps it is the same way with rednecks. Perhaps I need to meet and befriend some Tourist Rednecks.

No offense to your guy, Rumjay, if you are dating him, he is probably rad.

But the disconnect is vast.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 02:57:34 am »

Actually a guy I who used to live in my apartment complex and still hangs around describes himself as a "redneck who loves all people". He is obviously a redneck; but loves George Clinton, has a black step mother and brother, hates racists, has loads of guns, drives a car with a wince, and spent the money his parents saved for his college education on cocaine (he has since stopped doing this-- this was at least 5 years ago).

He is cool to hang out with and get drunk, but his non offensive redneckdom is weird to me.  He is also in my crazy liberal religion class.

I hate the word wigger too.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 03:47:21 am »

The word wigger is terrible but I was mainly just confused because since it was beef I thought it was an ender's game reference somehow.

Also the Terrible Amish sound like they'd be cool folks to party with. All violent and hyped up on meth made with only the most primitive of equipment. All rocking out to religious banjo music.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 03:51:49 am »

Call me closed-minded but... it is hard to reconcile, in my mind, "digging Achewood" and "dating a redneck".

Well, there's a lot of disconnect in my life. I'm a weird lady.

Jason's not a redneck-y redneck. But, I'm not from the South, and he's got a pretty decent-sized accent, and his family has hell of Confederate flags (actually just three or four that I've seen, but still a lot too me) and he knows a little too much about wrestling (though he doesn't actively watch it), and he drinks a lot of beer and has seen Lynard Skynard in concert multiple times and loves Widespread Panic and he's a little homophobic and racist (though so am I, to be postmodern about it). But he knows nothing about NASCAR, is fairly well educated and capable of holding decent convos with me, and is still liberal (currently giggling at a Bush joke on Family Guy) and responded to my declaration of feminism on our second date with "That's cool!" and he's a HUGE hippie (has more pictures of Jerry Garcia than me in his room).

Redneck to me basically mean Southern. It's all in good fun though, because I LOVE Southerners and plan on staying down here forever.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 03:59:06 am »

so... ponies aren't just baby hosss? since when?

I think that AIM needs to institute a policy where if you haven't logged on in over a year, your SN gets deleted. Because at this point, every SN I want is taken. I would be OK with this if they were in use, but I have added them to my buddy list-- no logins in the past 2 or 3 years for "theinevitable" or "the_inevitable"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 04:25:24 am »

If I ever incorporate a town out here in Arizona, I know damn well what I'm going to call it now.

A baby hoss is a foal.  Baby ponies just grow up to be... grown-up ponies.

I think that AIM needs to institute a policy where if you haven't logged on in over a year, your SN gets deleted. Because at this point, every SN I want is taken. I would be OK with this if they were in use, but I have added them to my buddy list-- no logins in the past 2 or 3 years for "theinevitable" or "the_inevitable"

I am iron_felix instead of ironfelix because that is my Last.fm account, which predates my TOUAMB account by about a month.  ironfelix was already taken, by some dude with 39 tracks played and who apparently hasn't scrobbled anything in the last two years.  C'est la vie.

Also, re: "wigger."  In high school, my friends and I used the term "Whigga" in lieu of the N-word when writing lyrics for our colonial-themed rap group, the Liberty Boyz.  It was like this, only even more so.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 04:49:21 am »

I was going to be so disappointed if that link wasn't to that strip.

Confederate flags= racism = not cool.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 05:09:16 am »

Confederate flags= racism = not cool.

That's my opinion on them, but I don't really think I have a monopoly on truth. It's a part of his heritage, and I'm not going to judge him. And you can't reduce the history of the South to one thing, I don't think. Postmodernism and such.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 05:23:46 am »

Being from the south, they bug me.

Being from the south, I can tell you that there are plenty (majority) of people that don't have them.

I was not trying to pass judgment or anything, just they really piss me off.  If a places tradition is racism, and you choose to celebrate it, does that make you a racist?  I think so.  The tradition argument might bug me more than the flag or racism.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: April 13th, 2007: Miracle Slice, Tennessee
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 06:20:00 am »

relevant: no one displayed the confederate flag (which is not actually the flag of the Confederate States, but in fact the Battle Flag) until the 60s. The Civil War was not going on in the 60s. There was not a big revival of interest in heritage of the 60s (that I know of.)
Something else relevant was going on in the 60s, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up