Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Alright, America. I'm playing the underpants and pants game. If just for one more day.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Used Cars.  (Read 8755 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Used Cars.
« on: April 16, 2007, 03:02:13 am »

I have $7K-$8K to spend on a used car, but I have no idea how I should go about spending that money. I want a Honda Accord like I had growing up, but I know that's probably out of my range.

Can I trust sites like CarMax? Are they easy to deal with? Where should I get insurance?

I want something that won't break down and will last me a while, with good gas mileage. And I would like manual transmission, though that's negotiable. The rest is just gravy.

I am completely lost as to what I should do. What cars age well? I don't know.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Used Cars.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 03:05:50 am »

Like any small Honda or Toyota that has been treated decent from the last 15 years.

I like the last body model (i think, maybe second to last) Honda Prelude quite a lot.  I have a newer Toyota though.  It only cost me about 5k more than you have to spend (new), so i am sure you can find a decent one for relatively cheap. 

Edit:  Here is the Honda I was talking about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:2001-10-23_NikonE880_dscn1909.jpg

Edit, again:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-CAR-DEALER-TRADE-ONE-OWNER-SMOKE-FREE_W0QQitemZ320103739628QQihZ011QQcategoryZ6259QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That is a pretty good one, just to give you an idea.  It has 115,000 miles, and you can probably expect 200-250,000 with a car like this.  Other advice:  don't buy it on ebay.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 03:16:14 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Used Cars.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 03:08:16 am »

I have a Toyota Echo that gets 35 mpg, is sporty and comfortable.  It has 100 k miles and has never given any trouble whatsoever.  I think I paid $8500 for it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Used Cars.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 03:38:15 am »

A... college student has eight grand to spend on a used car and I barely have three to do the same.

Don't try to get into film, kids.

It is like going to grad school, only you don't even get a piece of paper at the end of the deal.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Used Cars.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 03:44:05 am »

A... college student has eight grand to spend on a used car and I barely have three to do the same.

My parents are SERIOUSLY generous. I don't know what happened to them. They used to be very kind of stingy with us, and then I got to be college age, and they're like "Here. We're going to pay for $15K-$20+K of your schooling every year and then all this other shit on top of it!" The only stipulations are staying out of trouble and excellent grades. I have actually been a pretty good kid since I got to college - my parents always secretly wanted an overachiever, and now they finally have one!

They're very nice. I love them. But they spoil me.

ETA: So, I should still consider Hondas/Toyotas if they have upwards of 80K miles on them? I generally thought that I should look for cars that have a low number of miles on them.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Used Cars.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 03:51:53 am »

Well, I mean, obviously you want the smallest amount of miles, I just wouldn't completely rule out one with around 100.000, if it is in good shape and a better deal/ nicer car,etc.  You probably shouldn't go higher than 100,000 for sure.  I just found a car really quickly with around 100000 miles, so I wasn't trying to say anything like that, or whatever.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Used Cars.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 04:33:17 am »

ETA: So, I should still consider Hondas/Toyotas if they have upwards of 80K miles on them? I generally thought that I should look for cars that have a low number of miles on them.

Yeah, especially if they're not too old.
Logged
ACHIEVE

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Used Cars.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 04:28:50 pm »

I've got a Nissan that I was damn lucky to get with about 50k on the clock. It's now up to about 74k but is still going fairly strong. The one downside to a car this age is that just about every time it needs an MOT and tax I have to fix something on it... But finding an ex fleet car can be ideal, as they tend to sell them off cheap before they've done that many miles.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Used Cars.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 07:38:57 pm »

dang. The concept of one day needing to buy a car is upsetting to me. The summer after this one, when both my brother and I will be driving (right now he's 15) and competing for the use of the same car... will suck.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Used Cars.
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 12:00:15 am »

dang. The concept of one day needing to buy a car is upsetting to me. The summer after this one, when both my brother and I will be driving (right now he's 15) and competing for the use of the same car... will suck.

Watch out for little brothers. I would be happily tooling around in a 1989 Accord with ~115k on it, but it is dead after a year with my brother.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Used Cars.
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 03:35:44 am »

I've got a '99 Chevy Silverado, 70k miles, 4x4, $2500 in aftermarket stereo equipment - you can have that for $8000.

After you buy it, I'm going to get me one of these. I can't wait.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Getting a vehicle...Advice?
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 01:22:12 am »

Okay party people. Advice time. I just moved back to Denver, a place where having a reliable car is a must.

I have enough to put about $2K down on a vehicle, and financing should permit me to get a car for about $10K total. Of course, if it's financed I would have to have full auto insurance on it. Boo to that. Anyway, I hear good things about vehicles made by Toyota. I would like to buy a used Toyota with reasonable mileage (say, fewer than 70K). For reasons known only to him, my dad thinks that I should buy a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. I am heavily inclined to ignore his advice and get the Camry or similar. I mean... a low-end vehicle that's a relatively new model year? I don't think a Cobalt would be a very good choice. My dad drives a relatively new Chevy Silverado, and he bought his wife a 2006 Toyota Rav4 when it was new. Then again, one of my good friends bought a Ford Focus brand new in 2003, and she's had pretty good luck with it. I guess that a Cobalt is in the same class as a Focus.

Do you guys have any advice? I've never bought a vehicle from a dealer before, just bought them from people I knew. I have only owned three vehicles in my lifetime. In chronological order: 1988 Nissan Stanza, 1993 Buick, 1986 1/2 Nissan Pathfinder.  I've looked at a lot of vehicles from craigslist and a lot of them are from small, sketchy-looking dealerships. Basically I am not sure what to do.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a vehicle...Advice?
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 01:37:29 am »

If you go at the right time of year you could probably get like a Toyota Corolla for a little over 10k.  That was back in 03, though, when I last looked at cars.

You can get a really nice used Honda or Toyota for 10k, and that is what I would do. 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a vehicle...Advice?
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 04:54:29 am »

I wouldn't call a Camry a "low-end" vehicle.  Not luxury, but not a shitbox either. 

Also, do you need a car that big?  I think you can get a new Yaris for about 11K.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a vehicle...Advice?
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 05:28:06 am »

I wouldn't call a Camry a "low-end" vehicle.  Not luxury, but not a shitbox either. 

Also, do you need a car that big?  I think you can get a new Yaris for about 11K.

I'm sorry, I was referring to the Cobalt as a "low end vehicle" that's a relatively new model. The Camry has been around for a long time and it's a relatively nice sedan. No offense to the Camry.

The Yaris is really cute... I'm not sure about getting a new model though...the Consumer Reports seem to have bad things to say about new models.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up