I hesitate to write this post, because I'm afraid it will be misunderstood. Let me preface it by saying that I think the shootings were a horrible, horrible tragedy and I am in no way trying to lessen or distract from it.
As a parent, this story filled me with fear and empathy. But it just struck me when I heard the news that 33 people had been killed in Blacksburg that we've been hearing similar stories on an almost daily basis for several years now. It seems like every day (surely every week) we hear about bombings or shootings of dozens of people in Iraq. It disturbs me that those deaths don't emotionally affect me in the same way, or much at all really.
The people killed at Virginia Tech were innocent (or as innocent as us human beings can be...) They were sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, husbands, wives, aunts and uncles. They had lives that were tragically and unfairly cut short. So were the people killed in Baghdad this week (and last week and the week before and the week before that...)
Over the next weeks and months, the media will depict these shootings as a "National Tragedy". And it absolutely is. We should mourn these senseless deaths and be angry at the conditions that allowed them to take place.
I'm just trying to conceive how it would feel to have killings on this scale on a daily basis.
Also,
this article is a little tongue in cheek, I suppose, but it's deadly accurate.