Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club  (Read 4934 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 12:02:41 am »

I find many breakfast foods to be unsatisfying dinners but exactly what I need in the morning.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 01:01:43 am »

my mother used to make breakfast for dinner all the time.

my mother's friend once commented that she had a lot of breakfast for dinner as a kid-- because pancake mix was cheaper than real dinner food.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 01:33:01 am »

No, seriously, I'm curious about it. Maybe I just haven't met the right people, but enthusiasm for this concept tends to divide right down gender lines.

Oh, au contraire, Mon Frère. I love brekkie food, it's the best for dinner. Well...I suppose that a tender steak from some terribly overpriced steak house like Ruth's Chris or Gallagher's would technically be the Best... or a delicious korma curry with plenty of naan bread. But I digress. Breakfast food is teh win.

My younger sister and I shared an apartment together in college, and one of my fondest memories is making pancakes and scrambled eggs for dinner with her in our electric skillet. Also, sometimes there were hash browns instead of pancakes. I also finally convinced her that her then-to-lifelong aversion to hot sauce could be brooked by the sheer deliciousness of Tabasco or Franks' RedHot on scrambled eggs. Mmmm...Dammit, now i'm all hungry, but I've already blown through my 1,700 allotted calories for the day, being as I'm back on the Hacker's Diet. Sigh. Sorry, tummy, no foodies for now.

Alena and I also had a Tragic Potato Incident in that apartment. We bought some potatoes at the grocer's one day, and stuck them in the lazy Susan cabinet and pretty much forgot about 'em. One fateful day I was rummaging around for some spices and noticed an odd smell. Then I came across a nearly-completely-liquefied bag of potatoes. The metal shelf beneath the bag had become bubbled and warped. We scrubbed and scrubbed, put a box of baking soda in there and everything. the evil potato smell never really went away. Since then, I only buy one or two potatoes and keep them in the fridge until I'm ready to use them. *shudder*
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 01:57:30 am »

Alena and I also had a Tragic Potato Incident in that apartment. We bought some potatoes at the grocer's one day, and stuck them in the lazy Susan cabinet and pretty much forgot about 'em. One fateful day I was rummaging around for some spices and noticed an odd smell. Then I came across a nearly-completely-liquefied bag of potatoes. The metal shelf beneath the bag had become bubbled and warped. We scrubbed and scrubbed, put a box of baking soda in there and everything. the evil potato smell never really went away. Since then, I only buy one or two potatoes and keep them in the fridge until I'm ready to use them. *shudder*

Uh... are you sure that you didn't buy potato-shaped wads of lye? I've been in homes and apartments where potatoes were left to sit, and generally the most grody thing that happened was the potatoes sprouting, not some kind of hell-reaction sufficient to warp metal. It may be for the best that you did not eat those potatoes.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 02:13:23 am »

Oh no. I've just discovered that when left alone, I eat the same frozen TV dinner as Nice Pete.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 02:16:40 am »

I have definitely liquefied potatoes.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 05:54:11 am »

Sometimes, our school dining hall serves breakfast for dinner. When this happens, my roommate and I go back to our room, fire up the rice cooker, and cook rice porridge for dinner, which is basically the same thing as eating breakfast for dinner if you're Chinese.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

ImpyChick

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 12
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 04:46:55 pm »

I eat eggs & bacon for dinner several times a month.  NOTHING is better than eggs cooked in bacon grease, w/ a generous sprinkling of hot sauce.
Logged

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 04:40:39 am »

Sometimes, our school dining hall serves breakfast for dinner. When this happens, my roommate and I go back to our room, fire up the rice cooker, and cook rice porridge for dinner, which is basically the same thing as eating breakfast for dinner if you're Chinese.

HELL YES. I am unbelievably fond of pancakes, waffles, or crepes for dinner, but otherwise porridge with some tofu and giraffe sung is amazing dinner.
Logged

isunklower

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12
  • EXTREME
    • View Profile
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 06:13:38 am »

Hm, OK, I am not just being Disagree-y Guy or anything, but it appears I am in the minority here.  I really don't like breakfast foods at any time of the day.  I don't know what it is about them - maybe their aforementioned "heartiness" - but I never crave them, and I usually feel like crap after I've eaten them.  It seems like so many are either heavy or greasy or sweet, and I just can't face that first thing in the morning.

I've also noticed I get tired of them a lot faster than anything else.  Like, for lunch, I could eat a pretty boring turkey sandwich every day for a month, and I'd be somewhat content.  But for breakfast (which I do eat, albeit grudgingly) I have to constantly change foods - from smoothies to fruit to oatmeal to Pop Tarts and so on - before I build up a resistance to a particular item and never want to eat it again.  My stomach is like The Borg.
Logged
if it is regular yellow lemonade / my dong goes all flaccid

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 08:45:09 am »

History, you're just like me.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 11:53:48 am »

Come on, there is no 1850s station on XM. Well, I am pretty sure there isn't.

Nice observation about the door looking like something you shouldn't open at random. Nice observation about the museum guy's dillemma. See, Ray is not so completely utterly totally self-centered as he seems.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 02:22:11 pm »

I feel like 1850's music would be... Romantic Era? Um... such as Wagner?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2007, 03:11:06 pm »

Yes, but just the music he wrote in the 1850s?  (Note: The joke is that on XM there really are stations for just the 1970s, just the 1980s, etc.)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2007, 04:18:42 pm »

oh, I assumed he was just saying "1850s" when he meant "old music" or whatever.

yeah, that would be ridiculous.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up