Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club  (Read 4916 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2007, 02:23:27 pm »

I feel like 1850's music would be... Romantic Era? Um... such as Wagner?

The Rolling Stones released their first single in that decade, I believe.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2007, 03:35:18 pm »

The Rolling Stones released their first single in that decade, I believe.

Zing!

The Rolling Stones are old.  Hahahahahahahahaha.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2007, 07:54:16 pm »

Maple syrup was invented because it was the only way to trick people into eating foods as horrible and tasteless as pancakes and waffles.

Quote from: Pat
the Straight Edge philosophy of purity and responsibility

He forgot "and fuck*ng anything that moves"
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2007, 08:43:06 pm »

no, straight-edge people don't do that, either.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2007, 09:44:34 pm »

I think he missed "and being goddamn self-righteous about your Purity and Responsibility," but... he would.
Logged

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2007, 09:48:11 pm »

I would consider myself straightedge, as I seemed to already adhere to their general sets of morality, if not for the fact that every time I have encountered straightedge people, they have been, 18 times out of 19, terrible assholes.  I do not understand how people in such a counter-culture movement can resemble sheep even moreso than any mtv drone.  It is ridiculous.
Logged
~

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2007, 10:59:24 pm »

no, straight-edge people don't do that, either.

The only straight edge person I know is CM Punk, and he's got a rep as a man-slut. Apparently there's a schism between abstinent-until-marriage and fuck*ng-is-the-acceptable-vice sects.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2007, 11:05:26 pm »

dang. I was straightedge at one point, but mostly in the way some people are christian but in a way that's all "I follow Jesus's teachings, but do not go to church." I didn't know any straightedge people who weren't open assholes. I, personally, kept my judgmental-itude to myself.

Basically I love Ian MacKaye, if that hasn't been put across recently.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2007, 11:10:21 pm »

You know, in my experience, usually anybody who characterizes themselves as a "insert label here" turns out to be an asshole.  It doesn't really matter what the label is.  If you view yourself as primarily a "whatever you call yourself" then you tend to make it your priority to do what you think a good "whatever you think of yourself as" would do rather than what a good, decent, reasonable human being would do.

I don't care if you think of yourself as Straight-edge, Punk, Hippy, Christian, Buddhist, Vegan, Atheist, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Star Wars Fan, Trekker or what the fuck ever.  If you place more of a priority on living up to that label you've hung on yourself than you do on being a good and decent person, you are an asshole.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2007, 11:19:39 pm »

not completely sure how to articulate this, as I can't find the article I read on this. Anyway, apparently what you mention is a uniquely Western perspective-- when asked to fill in the blank at the end of "I am _____" in their native languages, people from other cultures were something like twice as likely to fill in a group association. "I am Chinese," "I am a Christian," etc. Americans/Europeans were more likely to fill in the blank with personal characteristics-- "I am smart," "I am ugly," etc. For most human beings, membership in a group is a pretty important part of identity.

On the same note, the whole Straightedge thing got completely hijacked (the same way things always do) by people who were... dicks. Ian Mackaye was always really clear in interviews that his was a statement of personal belief-- not an indictment of people who didn't "conform" to what he said. The whole thing got taken by a bunch of other hardcore bands and turned into a "fuck you, you drink, I'm going to beat you up" type of deal. So, yeah, I guess basically I agree with you-- the takeaway point is to think for yourself, rather than letting a bunch of "leaders" of your chosen group tell you what to do. At the same time, I feel like espousing a philosophy and using it to analyze your actions can be constructive; there are plenty of people for whom joining some group has been very helpful in overcoming problems.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: April Blog-of-the-Month-Club
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2007, 04:39:38 pm »

does anyone else kind of get the feeling that... the place Ray went wasn't really a museum? I was getting a definite "Ray is completely misunderstanding this" vibe. But I'm not sure what else could be going on.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up