Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite snacks to prepare  (Read 12413 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Favorite snacks to prepare
« on: April 22, 2007, 07:43:53 pm »

Our grocery store just got inari skins in a can, so I'm making inari. Delicious. I fired up the rice cooker with some sushi rice and it should be done in another few minutes. The tin has a ton of skins in it, I can only eat 2 or 3 inari at a time, so it should last a good long while.

The downside is that the can is insanely sharp when you pop the pull-off lid. Thank god I'm only preparing these for myself. I had to take a break and get some Spongebob band-aids.

Anyone have other snack recipes that they'd like to share? Basically I fall into a rut where I eat the same thing day in and day out, so it's nice to get suggestions to broaden my horizons.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 07:49:52 pm »

Are these what snacks become once you pass the age of 16? Damn. I'm still spreading Philadelphia on Pringles for my 'snacks'.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 08:42:39 pm »

I've never been much of a snack person... typically I eat another meal, because I rarely eat 3 meals a day. So I often go for a cheese quesadilla.
Otherwise, I sometimes eat chips or some cookies. At home, I eat a lot of late-night sandwiches.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 12:28:50 pm »

Cinnamon toast. I only think of it every few months and then I always wonder why I don't think of it more often.

I don't have to tell you how to do this, do I?  Toast bread. Spread with butter. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.

Don't buy one of those stupid things at the supermarket that are shaped like a bear and have cinnamon sugar in them. You are perfectly capable of mixing cinnamon and sugar in an old spice jar if you want something like that. And for God's sake don't use margarine.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 01:18:33 pm »

When I was little I was obsessed with "ants on a log"  which was celery, filled with Cheeze Whiz, with raisins neatly placed on the cheese, like.. ants... on a log.  It still appeals to me in a nostalgia way, but I've only once in my adult life bought Cheeze Whiz, and I'll probably never do it again.

As for the adult world of snacking, tea and something home baked is always nice.  Though I don't bake - it's always something a grandma or aunt has sent our way, so that doesn't count as snacks I've prepared really.  Most of the snacks I enjoy don't require much preparation, like a small portion of nuts, some crackers, or a nice cherry Nib.  I love the popcorn that I make in my special popcorn popping pot and crackers with creme cheese and a smoked oyster on top is really decadent - both of these need to be special treats, as they are not even on the scale of healthy eating, but they're nice on the rare occasion.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 03:16:17 pm »

Nachos.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 03:41:11 pm »

You could totally make those ants on a log with cream cheese instead. Or peanut butter.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 07:29:51 pm »

Smells, what in Canadia is a cherry Nib?

Colour me intrigued.

Wait... what?  Seriously?

Nibs: made by Twizzler, which is owned by Hershey, so not Canadian, though Google lists several Canadian Candy sites as selling them, so maybe they're not everywhere?  Anyway, Nibs are little chewy nubs (maybe 1/4 of an inch in size) of licorice in either cherry (yum) or black (yuck).  They are solid and smooth (not like licorice with the hollow centre or twisty design) and are harder, chewier than say, a wine gum.  They were previously sold in grape.  You can also get Super Nibs, which I am snacking on a pack of while I post this.  These are long licourice whip length candies of the same consitution as regular Nibs.  I buy mine at the 7-11 as I have since as far back as I can remember.  They're a fairly regular option in most vending machines locally too.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 08:09:48 pm »

Cinnamon toast is excellent, and I am sad that I have the same stance to it as you do, wombat -- forget about it for several months, remember and enjoy, and then Lethe again.

Also, I traditionally prepared ants on a log with peanut butter, but Cheez Whiz sounds interesting, if very strange (especially for people like me who don't generally like to mix sweet and savory).
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 08:44:48 pm »

Awesome! omba, I had forgotten about cinnamon toast. And ants on a log, as saith smells, except in my world I ain't eat cheez-wiz. Traditionally I make the ants on a log with peanut butter and no ant-raisins, so I guess it's just a... log? Having a spoonful of peanut butter directly out of the jar Beef-style can is one thing, but dress the dish up a little bit and it's that much better.

theinev, sandwiches aren't my favorite, I bet I'd eat way more sammiches if I had a panini grill. I haven't had a panini since I had one in Boulder in 2002. Sad, ennit? I should get one when I'm in Denver in June, along with Indian food, a Chipotle burrito, daifuku, and various and sundry assorted treats (not all at once, though).

Ash, good call on the chili wraps and the pita sammiches. I really wish that there were someplace up here to get a pita with falafel and the cucumber-yogurt sauce.

melack: nachos are super-delicious. I should pick up some tortilla chips at the store. I even have some guacamole.

Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 09:13:48 pm »

[chunky]
Creamy to me says "we screwed up and left the peanut butter making machine on too long"

Maybe its ok in a sauce?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 09:21:05 pm »

Eeeeuw. Creamy. Chunky says to me, what are these nasty little objects doing in my peanut butter?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 10:08:47 pm »

Chunky.

I still remember the first time the SO came over to the shopping cart with his smooth peanut butter.  I was so confused I automatically assumed he'd picked up the wrong kind by mistake. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 10:36:03 pm »

My wife brought some creamy home by accident.  I pulled it out of the cupboard to make a sandwich for La Niņa and was stunned into stillness at the lack of chunk.  Eventually she noticed the lack of action and her eyes drifted down to the PB jar label.  Silently, she screwed the lid back on and left for the store to rectify the error.  No words were said.  No recriminations were made.  No grudges held.

Oddly, our daughter appears indifferent to the class of peanut butter used.  My mother-in-law has the soulless variety at her place. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite snacks to prepare
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 10:44:04 pm »

I imagine your wife being very and pretty and a little small, and as she pulls the jar away, your hand remains in a grasping position. She returns to find you leaning on a counter in the kitchen, looking about absently, as if you have forgotten what you are doing, but you are sure that it is vitally important.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up