Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: April 24th, 2007 - You Think I Just Fell Off the Not Knowin' You Boat Yesterday?  (Read 4059 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile

That's Roast Beef.  I know him.

Ray is down with Beef's "Boy in the Plastic Bubble" idea.  But how will he run the bases?  I guess he could just be first base coach when his side is at bat.  All giving signs with his baby incubator arms.  All touching different parts of the bubble to signal a hit-and-run.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest

I like the fact that Onstad was clearly angling for a thread title by throwing us "Don't do a groody mouth!" and you totally snubbed that bitch.
Logged

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile

Serves him right.  I guess I'm still a bit miffed over that Achewood assetbar foolishness.  Anyway, this strip is really all about how well Ray knows his oldest of friends.  Although upon rereading it I suppose it is just as much about Beef sassing him.

I did consider going with "I knew your mom was a bitch but I didn't know she had a puppy," but I'm not sure whether that would fit or not.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

Absolutely correct thread title.

I don't know much about softball but couldn't Beef be the catcher in that kind of outfit? It might almost be a good idea.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

I just really dig the idea of "bags under the eyes" being the artistic signifier for a dude in sunglasses being stoned. That is some elegant shit right there.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile

All pitches in slow pitch are basically eephus pitches, so the catcher just stands behind the plate and catches them on the bounce.  There's no bunting allowed, so you rarely have to field a ball once it's in play.  In theory, you would also cover home plate, but I don't think I've ever seen a close play at home in a slow pitch softball game.

So yes, it would be an ideal position for Beef, although as the only non-stoned person on the team he might wind up having to pitch instead.  Pitching would appear to be the main obstacle to getting this idea to work, unless you could somehow get Dock Ellis to play for you.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

Hmm, so it sounds like basically, softball is already designed to be baseball for stoned people?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile

Softball, as played by people who are otherwise employed (not by studly college age females), is mostly a set-up for guys with enormous guts to hit towering home runs.  And for the rest of us to finally "get" the various base covering plays that our little league coaches were desperately trying to communicate to us while we chased honeybees in the outfield clover.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

damn, why have I not played this sport.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest

I did consider going with "I knew your mom was a bitch but I didn't know she had a puppy," but I'm not sure whether that would fit or not.

That would also have been an excellent choice.

Anyway, can I just applaud Onstad for actually drawing the BBQer-in-a-Bubble apparatus? I was totally expecting this to be one of those cop-out strips where concepts are discussed but not drawn, and instead, yes, an awesome little apparatus!
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com

I went motherfuckin' 6-for-6 in our slow pitch softball doubleheader last night.  I was not stoned, however.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile

Do you have an enormous gut?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile

I played in a municipal slow-pitch league two summers ago with a bunch of people from the radio station where I used to work.

The idea was that it would be fun for people to play against "famous" radio "personalities" and that our games would be good "marketing" opportunities.  Trouble is, when most of your team is a bunch of unathletic emo bitches you tend to lose games.  This is more true when you play teams of the aforementioned fat dudes who wear ACTUAL UNIFORMS and who flip their slow-pitches at you with all kinds of english so it's impossible to hit them in the air. 

We won one game out of eight that summer and our marketing plan was a rousing success, inasmuch as we planned to position ourselves as pale, awkward nerds who can't hit or throw but who will talk to you about bands between innings.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

Serves him right.  I guess I'm still a bit miffed over that Achewood assetbar foolishness.  Anyway, this strip is really all about how well Ray knows his oldest of friends.  Although upon rereading it I suppose it is just as much about Beef sassing him.

I did consider going with "I knew your mom was a bitch but I didn't know she had a puppy," but I'm not sure whether that would fit or not.

Apparently you can insult Ray's mom without it sobering him up. Unlike claiming that he was a fat child
Logged

Undertoad

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 34
  • Ye Olde Gifte Shoppe ande Ale Taverne Inne Keepere
    • View Profile
    • the Cellar

I think that a stoned softball league will involve no actual bat-to-ball contact.  There may or may not be pitching that may or may not get close to the strike zone.  The entire point of a stoned softball league will be the hot dogs on the grill.  Beef's participation is key, and critical.
Logged
-=My usual hangout: The Cellar
-=My daily image blog: Image of the Day
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up