Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Neil Young "On the Beach"  (Read 7518 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Neil Young "On the Beach"
« on: April 28, 2007, 07:00:10 pm »

I have recently decided that this is pretty much Neil Young's best album.

Any other thoughts on this issue from the party people in this house?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 07:42:18 pm »

...don't go on the beach, Pat.

...but no, I have never listened to this album.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 09:44:58 pm »

"After the Gold Rush" is pretty damn good too.  Definitely switches between those two based on which one I listened to last.

Also, have you heard the new official bootleg that came out- "Live at Massey Hall", it is amazing.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 11:57:43 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 10:19:52 pm »

I have a particular fondness for "Rust Never Sleeps".  Also "Harvest".  Also "After the Gold Rush".
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 11:01:42 pm »

Neil Young has about 50 albums and most of them I would classify as fuck*ng awesome.  On The Beach is definitely one of those.  After the Gold Rush is a contender for greatest album ever made.

I feel a Neil Young jag coming on.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc Benway

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 22
  • That's right Stouffer, you help!
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 11:34:01 am »

Yeah, either On The Beach or Tonight's the Night I think is my favourite Neil Young album. Everybody Nows This Is Nowhere is great too, infact I think the only Neil Young Albums I'm not too fond of are Time Fades Away and some of the 80s stuff (Landing on Water, Trans etc)
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 05:23:50 am »

You are either going to rock a bunch of Neil Young or you are going to hate him. I'm loving Rust Never Sleeps, Harvest, Mirror Ball, On The Beach, After the Gold Rush, American Stars 'N Bars . . .

Of course, he's the same as Prince, or Jimi Hendrix, or Frank Zappa - he's got albums and albums in the vaults. As long as you don't mind his tedious rhyme scheme (side, side, hide, ride) - he's just fine. He's perhaps better after several bong hits.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 06:06:23 pm »

Well, what isn't?  CSPAN is totally watchable if you're baked.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 04:06:51 pm »

Neil Young has never put out anything I'd consider a perfect album.  Every album has at least one song I don't care for at all: Harvest ( "There's a World,""A Man Needs a Maid" ), After the Gold Rush ( "Cripple Creek Ferry" ), Rust Never Sleeps ( "Welfare Mothers" ).  My tolerance for Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere varies: sometimes I think "Down By the River" and "Cowgirl In the Sand" are amazing tense jams and other times they bore me to tears. 

That said, even though they're not perfect, those are all pretty great albums, along with Live Rust and Decade. 

The Doom Trilogy / Ditch Trilogy records left me sorta cold.  I like some of the songs off of Time Fades Away ( title track, "Don't Be Denied,""L.A." ); I tried to get into Tonight's the Night and failed; same thing with On the Beach.  I'm listening to some OTB cuts as I write this, and I'm thinking it's time to give the Trilogy another chance. 
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 10:22:15 pm »

Neil Young has never put out anything I'd consider a perfect album.

Interesting.  Now I'm thinking about albums I do consider perfect (if any).
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 11:01:50 pm »

A "perfect" album, at the very least, doesn't have a single song that makes you lunge for the clicker or iPod.  At best, a "perfect" album creates a tiny little universe unto itself, where the songs are arranged in an order that can't be improved upon, and that ideally makes you want to start the whole journey over again once it ends. 

Led Zeppelin IV is a perfect album.  Led Zeppelin III isn't because it ends with the unlistenable "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper."  If it had ended with "Hey Hey What Can I Do," it would have been a perfect album.

Right off the top of my head, I'm thinking of:

Revolver
Kind of Blue
Paul's Boutique
siamese dream
Axis: Bold As Love
The Pearl


I can't think of any others right now.
Logged

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 11:51:12 pm »

I think it is alright to skip the first or last track, as these do not disrupt anything. Also, "Taxman" from Revolver has basically no merit whatsoever. By my standards, though, this is Not a Problem.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 12:07:31 am »

Really?  I find it hilarious.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 12:59:00 am »

um, wtf, that song is awesome! Fuck you!

also: led zeppelin 4? really? not so much. Going to California? Misty Mountain Hop? No.

Axis? really?

We obviously are opposite in taste.s.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 01:08:20 am »

I'm all about Misty Mountain Hop myself.

I'd add Dark Side of the Moon and Halfway Between The Gutter and the Stars to that list. The Beatles' White Album would have made the list if they'd listened to George Martin and kept it a single album.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up