Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Neil Young "On the Beach"  (Read 7553 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 06:09:07 am »

Hmmm, if we're looking at it holistically, I can only think of a few perfect albums: The Soft Bulletin, Illinois, Document, and Life's Rich Pageant. (R.E.M. may have others, really.) I think every TMBG album has at least one eh/skippable song, but they each arguably have a perfect album's worth of material. Maybe Apollo 18, if you count "Fingertips" as one song and don't nitpick individual tracks?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 11:51:31 pm »

Neil Young has never put out anything I'd consider a perfect album.

Yeah, but you hate Vol. 4, so what do you know?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 12:04:35 am »

Yeah, but you hate Vol. 4, so what do you know?

I don't hate it.  But it's not as good as the albums immediately before or after it.  It's funny that you linked to a review that almost mirrors my opinion. ( except re: "Changes."  That song sucks.) 
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 06:46:55 am »

Hmmm, if we're looking at it holistically, I can only think of a few perfect albums: The Soft Bulletin, Illinois, Document, and Life's Rich Pageant. (R.E.M. may have others, really.)

See I like the Flaming Lips (a WHOLE lot) and R.E.M., and think both have perfect albums, only they are not the ones you listed.  Flaming Lips I would say that Clouds Taste Metallic and Hit to Death in the Future Head (without the "Speaker Hopping Static Assault") are perfect and for R.E.M. probably their first two, but Reckoning if I have to choose.

I am basically trying to say that there are alot of perfect albums, depending on who is answering.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 03:02:35 pm »

the two Flaming Lips albums you list, I have never heard.

That band put out so much good shit. Good lord.

Also: Murmur is, indeed, Perfect.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 04:09:39 pm »

Murmur and Reckoning are, indeed, perfect.

Transmissions From the Satellite Heart...I need to listen to that again to determine if it's perfect.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 04:22:20 pm »

Since everyone's talking about their perfect Flaming Lips albums, I'd like to toss in that I would give the magic 100/100 to Steve Burns' Songs For Dustmites. Not a Lips album, but it might as well be.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 05:06:42 pm »

I added Songs For Dustmites to my LaLa queue after listening to a few samples.  Once I found out who Steve Burns was.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 05:09:21 pm »

If I recall correctly, there is exactly 1 song on Transmissions... that I always skip. So, maybe perfect?

I don't know. I skip multiple tracks on my favorite album, so maybe I'm not the person to ask. There are only so many times I can hear "Gary's got a Boner" and "Black Diamond."

I have "Songs for Dustmites" on my computer but have never listened to it. Except in my friend's car, which is what convinced me to go acquire it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2007, 06:22:13 pm »

I can't find my copy of Songs for Dustmites, which probably means that I will buy another one, because I am uncomfortable with the thought of this album not being in my life. I think that might be a good definition of a perfect album, right there.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2007, 01:15:10 am »

Dang people I thought this thread was about Neil Young so I was ignoring it.  Are you serious that there is an album called Songs for Dustmites?  And look, it's the Amazing Disappearing Nabu!

Now I guess I better go make sure that the Pretend Baseball thread hasn't evolved into a discussion of baby sloths or something.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007, 01:49:07 am »

It hasn't.  They're earnestly going on about the original topic - which seems somehow quaint for TOUAMB. 

I saw a news story about this guy, and immediately thought of you.



You know, just in case you get tired of your sloth avatar someday.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2007, 02:06:55 am »

Awww.

I have accumulated some pretty good wombat pictures, actually, but if I changed my avatar I wouldn't be able to complain anymore about how much I hate it when people change their avatars.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2007, 07:46:38 pm »

Inev:  You should really, really hear Clouds Taste Metallic, and if you like it check out the other one I mentioned.

Clouds Taste Metallic was such a peak that they took like 3 years off (except Zaireeka) before coming out with their new style and Soft Bulletin.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2007, 01:00:48 am »

I've sadly never heard any early Flaming Lips albums, but I shall eventually.  I've not even picked up their latest yet.  My knowledge of The Flaming Lips is basically The Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi Battles the Pink *****s and She Don't Use Jelly.  But those albums are awesome so I really need to get on the ball and expand my collection. 

I even saw them in concert back when She Don't Use Jelly was popular, but their awesome didn't register with me then.  I remember that Wayne Coyne was wearing a suit covered with Christmas lights.  I also remember that the crowd wasn't too appreciative of them and Maynard of Tool (the headliners) told us we were assholes for treating his friends poorly and he was going to give us a short performance because of it.   Which may have actually done because they only played about an hour or so.

Anyway, I saw both bands again within a week of one another about 10 years later and I like to say that Tool put on the best show I had seen all year except that wasn't even the best show I had seen that week.

The moral of this story.  The Flaming Lips and Tool are both kick ass bands and they give awesome concerts.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up