Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neil Young "On the Beach"  (Read 7539 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2007, 06:30:40 am »

ok. good to know that it isn't irrational. Or... maybe it still is.

I listened to a little big of Clouds Taste Metallic. I think it is going to be like Transmissions from the Sattelite Heart and In a Priest-Driven Ambulance in that... at first I don't get it, and then suddenly I realize that I love every song on it.

At least, I'm hoping that will happen with Priest-Driven Ambulance. It's in the works.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2007, 05:45:20 pm »

I'm still at that phase with Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. I know I have some embryonic ability to love this album, and there are certain songs on it that I love, but... it's not quite clicking yet.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2007, 04:01:09 am »

I think I've just come to the realization that Captain Beefheart's Safe as Milk is a perfect album. 

Other perfect albums that come to mind (without much serious thought given...)

The Band
Highway 61 Revisited
John Prine
Dark Side of the Moon  (arguably also PATGOD and Meddle.)
Hot Rats
Both Revolver and Rubber Soul
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2007, 05:34:24 am »

Highway 61 Revisited

God I love that album, but Queen Jane Approximately and Highway 61 Revisited bug me.  Sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't, but they always seem a bit off.  Anything with Just Like Tom Thumbs Blues and Desolation Row back to back can be considered perfect though.  Especially once you add Ballad of a Thin Man to the mix.

Also, John Prine is awesome.  A great band by the name of Spiritualized stole some lyrics from that album ("There's a hole in Daddy's arm where all the money goes/ Jesus died for nothing, I suppose').  Except for they use "my", not "Daddy's".
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Young "On the Beach"
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2007, 10:14:27 am »

Also, a perfect album that I have found in the last couple weeks is Easter Everywhere by the 13th Floor Elevators.

It is mind blowing. 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up