Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...  (Read 10700 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« on: April 30, 2007, 05:18:07 am »

Link

Someone predicted Nightlife Mingus.  Who predicted Nightlife Mingus?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 05:32:22 am »

Found it.

First thing I thought of as well. I'd actually been thinking of that suggestion for a while, especially since I've recently felt like stealing that "I will give you a sign. And that sign will be that life is awesome" line every time I smoke.

THIS IS PROOF THAT ONSTAD STILL LURKS.

One other thing: note that Onstad has made the bat translucent. Hell. Of. Awesome.

edited for HTML and other reasons

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 05:35:10 am »

At first, I thought that Ray was coming to a Philip K Dick-esque realization about the nature of reality, all gnostic and psychotic-breaky, in the first few panels and then... I realized he was LITERALLY talking about a road that plays music.

It was not a metaphor for the way information is holographically encrypted into what we believe to be reality that Ray was musing upon, he was not grasping for framework within which to understand this construction through the eyes of a person walking the earth in these modern times.

He was LITERALLY inventing the record-road.

...and that was the moment I realized I read too much into everything.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

gowerski

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 05:49:56 am »

Found it.
THIS IS PROOF THAT ONSTAD STILL LURKS.

One other thing: note that Onstad has made the bat translucent. Hell. Of. Awesome.

edited for HTML and other reasons



Not to be pointin anything out, but the bat has always been translucent., check it .
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 06:03:19 am »

Not to be pointin anything out, but the bat has always been translucent., check it .

Has always being two strips. No one had mentioned it yet, and I just now noticed it, so I just now mentioned it.

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 08:06:02 am »

At first, I thought that Ray was coming to a Philip K Dick-esque realization about the nature of reality, all gnostic and psychotic-breaky, in the first few panels and then... I realized he was LITERALLY talking about a road that plays music.

All pulling into the EZ-Pass lane, turning off the stereo, and the strains of Iron Maiden's "Number Of the Beast" all vibrating the entire vehicle while four small children in the car ahead of you cry and their bumper sticker saying "Abortion Stops a Beating Heart" falls off and disintegrates.

Road sign all reading:
Speed Limit: 78 RPM
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 09:11:06 am »

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

mrchee

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 163
  • -NULLAM REM NATAM-
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 12:46:18 pm »

No I would not like all of the bolts in my car to rattle out on the drive to Los Angeles


Ray is a "mouth open" thinker
Logged
If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 12:58:51 pm »

I'm watching Elvis's hair slowly float back down after Ray turns the bat up in panel 4. And Mr. Bear is still the most rational person there. I for one am not surprised.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 01:25:27 pm »

all all all all all all all all all all
all all all all all all all all all all
all all all all all all all all all all
all all all all all all all all all all

coldfrog, I have used up all the 'all's for the next hour. This is an intervention

(damn. Hell of tryin to tell people what words they can use. Shame on me)

Now, now.  There's plenty of "alls" to go around.  But also note "hella'" makes a nice substitution.

Has always being two strips. No one had mentioned it yet, and I just now noticed it, so I just now mentioned it.

Come on now, don't be harsh to a n00b.  gowerski makes a good point in a way, since in the strip previous to this one Ray actually describes the bad as "clear liquid-filled acrylic." RMJ12345 might have been split on the green before.  That is what I suspect.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

MattFish

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 43
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 371
  • A perch with a cramp / Half-pound ahi burger
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 04:36:04 pm »

I like the thought process that leads to any message being expressed by something that relates to music, or more specifically records, must be a satanic message, even if its purpose is public safety.

For a second there, because I'm not a smoker, I looked at the bow on Mingus' hat and tried to figure out what kind of bone it could be. Then I had an "oh." moment.
Logged
I finally found a nice picture of a giraffe

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 04:58:49 pm »

No shame 'giraffe.  I used to smoke up to excess and it wasn't until I read your post that I got the reference myself (with Urban Dictionary's help).  You're probably just getting old.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 05:35:37 pm »

Come on now, don't be harsh to a n00b.  gowerski makes a good point in a way, since in the strip previous to this one Ray actually describes the bad as "clear liquid-filled acrylic." RMJ12345 might have been split on the green before.  That is what I suspect.

His point is legit. He was just sayin', so I was just sayin'.

I am not, nor have I ever been, split on the green.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 06:48:44 pm »

Success! I have a crush on nightlife mingus. I demanded his return on touamb and most recently on ass bar. The story can only get better from here.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 2007-04-30 Who is the Cat with the Bone in His Hat...
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 08:46:01 pm »

A-CAP, if you manage to get us another extended Nightlife sequence, all will be forgiven.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up