Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Birthday gift  (Read 2385 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Birthday gift
« on: May 06, 2007, 11:45:59 pm »

I was going to get a birthday gift for a friend.  A few weeks ago, she suggested a reasonable gift but I can't remember what it was.  The birthday is Tuesday, but we might not meet until the weekend.  If I cannot remember what the suggestion was, is it a crap thing to ask her what it was, or should I just get something else?
Logged
ACHIEVE

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Birthday gift
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 12:05:46 am »

Calmly explain to her that, in the intervening days, you were bonked on the head and believed that you were a Cold War spy for a day or two and then regained your identity when you were bonked on the head by a desk drawer while trying to bug someone's office and... like...

You've forgotten some of the details since.

Elaborate on this story and, at all costs, stick to this story and... hopefully she will just tell you again.

If you REALLY stick to it, you might be able to pull it off or... at least get a laugh out of her that will diffuse any anger she might have with you.

I would be the most awesome advice columnist ever.

"Ask Mr. Sitcom".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday gift
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 01:14:48 am »

Yes.  Ask her.  Unless someone else you know was in the area who will know.  It's always better to give someone what they will use.  As a person who's family doesn't "belive in" asking me what I want, then spends way too much on stuff I don't need, I dream of the day that someone asks me what I want.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday gift
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 04:10:25 am »

I'd go with the sitcom option personally, but you could always just pretend that you've got them something and tell them to guess what it is.
Of course if this doesn't work then you've not only built up a gift you haven't bought but you've made it really obvious you have no idea what to get them.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Birthday gift
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 04:45:37 am »

Hm.

Well, the problem isn't that I don't know what to get a person - well, actually I don't, but that is besides the point - I am the self-proclaimed king of good gifts.  I would just rather go with what was discussed.  OH SHIT I THINK I REMEMBER IT (live update).  I think it was some TV series DVD.  Or was it?  What was the show?  Hmmm.  Ok, now I don't remember what was the show.  Maybe it was not a show.  Man, I've been no help at all.

Worse comes to worse I can just fall back on my improv-gift prowess and find something better.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday gift
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 06:45:09 am »

Yeah, I'm sure whatever they wanted sucked anyway.

Get them a dvd set of The Prisoner. If they comment that you got the wrong series or something respond 'No, you did.'
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday gift
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 02:48:35 pm »

I would just ask her, dude.

If you don't, when she opens her gift, she's going to look at you blankly and think, "WTF? Why didn't he follow my request? I flippin' told him exactly what I would like as a prezzy." Then she will think, "Man, is this dude a flake? Can he be relied upon? Or is he just fuck*ng with me, getting me something totally different as a way of mocking my first choice?"

Okay, I'm totally projecting here, but whatever. Just my two cents.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday gift
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 03:01:24 pm »

I kind of go along with linnea's two cents here. But I guess RG could be worried that if he has to ask again she's going to be all "Man is this dude a flake?" as well.

Still, I say ask her. And this time write it down.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Birthday gift
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 11:03:49 pm »

I suck at buying gifts. Christmas stresses me out more than it should. I have taken to telling people to expect gift cards - if they want something more personal, they need to tell me. I can't even buy things for myself, much less others.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Birthday gift
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 11:27:09 pm »

Well she didn't even remember what it was or even that the conversation took place, so instead I just got something really rediculous (screaming pterodactyl doll and light-up worm candy).  Then for these dudes with birthdays coming up in the week, picked up a couple boxes of freezer pops.  Throw on like 12 cigarrettes to each and the harshest birthday week of the year is done with.  Now the question is:  am I generous enough to throw a lottery ticket into each lot?  Tough call.
Logged
ACHIEVE

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday gift
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 11:53:37 pm »

Light up worm candy? Really? I want some!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday gift
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 10:16:26 am »

RG is apparently also present God
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Birthday gift
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 04:10:14 am »



Well, they weren't opened yet, but from the looks of it, I think you use glowsticks like chopsticks and light reflects inside the gummy?  At this point, it's not clear.  Details pending.

The pterodactyl was very well received.  It was described as the "greatest gift ever."
Logged
ACHIEVE

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Birthday gift
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 09:08:07 pm »

How goddamn long are these details going to be pending?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday gift
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 10:18:51 pm »

Just get her a Rabbit Pearl.  How can you go wrong?
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up