Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"  (Read 4506 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
« on: May 07, 2007, 05:35:47 am »

I don't like what you're doing here. I don't feel like I have a lot of outs.

What's with Beef wearing a different shirt? And I'm not sure I get the variance in Ray's competency level/articulation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 06:20:44 am »

This arc feels a little bit like a case study to me, and attempting to compose a reply made me realize why: because I am actually thinking about how, precisely, Ray might have been affected by this traumatic brain injury and how that's affecting his behavior. Dang. Maybe I do need to go back to graduate school and funnel this into productive avenues.
Logged

isunklower

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12
  • EXTREME
    • View Profile
Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 06:25:18 am »

I am loving Ray's shirt.  That is exactly the shirt a retarded person would wear, collar buttoned entirely to its fullest. 

Also "I don't feel like I have a lot of outs" might have just become my favorite phrase.  Ray is always such a roll-with-it type of guy; it's great to see him nervous about things.
Logged
if it is regular yellow lemonade / my dong goes all flaccid

ryanpeq

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 06:38:48 am »

Anyone else not surprised that Beef chews his nails?
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 06:45:15 am »

I like this strip plenty, but I hate the way those dice look.

When I was a kid, dice were my favorite thing to draw.
Logged
ACHIEVE

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 07:24:01 am »

This is a fruit and fruit don't never wear ##### is your correct thread title.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 08:41:39 am »

my band is gon' be called Sex Receptacle.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 12:10:43 pm »

When you die in a plane crash my band's name is gonna be The New Sex Receptacles.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 12:33:40 pm »

This is a fruit and fruit don't never wear ****** is your correct thread title.

Correct thread title and wisdom for the ages.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 01:03:22 pm »

When you die in a plane crash my band's name is gonna be The New Sex Receptacles.

My first album is going to be called "Nevermind the Sex Receptacles, Here's the Peach."

edit:  Also, I really enjoy the way Onstad is drawing Ray's... muzzle... to be puffy with the two crinkle folds at the nose.  It strikes me as cute and I don't know why.  Also, I want an actual strip with Phillipe and Ray... or Lie bot and Ray.  At this point either of those would be very good.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 01:09:15 pm »

I am loving Ray's shirt.  That is exactly the shirt a retarded person would wear, collar buttoned entirely to its fullest. 

Also "I don't feel like I have a lot of outs" might have just become my favorite phrase.  Ray is always such a roll-with-it type of guy; it's great to see him nervous about things.

If it was colder out Ray would also have mittens attached to his sleeves. Plus his ****** are like 3 inches above his belly button.

[edit: my post count is now the same upside down as it is right side up. The last time this happened was way back at 1961]
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 03:05:32 pm »

My first album is going to be called "Nevermind the Sex Receptacles, Here's the Peach."


I need to preorder that right now.

I am thinking that when Ray regains full control of his faculties, he is going to be totally appalled that his glasses are still held together with tape.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 03:24:21 pm »

[edit: my post count is now the same upside down as it is right side up. The last time this happened was way back at 1961]

It symbolizes math!

Even when mentally impaired, Ray is still fundamentally Ray.  He has become Guy on the Bus Retarded, as opposed to Downs Syndrome Retarded, which would have lost its comedic potential much sooner.

That said, I still think Onstad passed up a golden opportunity to take this arc into creepier territory by having Ray spend some time at that Simple Moments place.  To see the Stoned Lightning idea transition into that brand of Achewood story would have been beautiful indeed.  I expected the Pet Rocks and the laser pointer to be instrumental in his escape.  Alternatively, Onstad could have gone for a "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" kind of thing.  Ray would have made a terrific Randle McMurphy.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 04:41:04 pm »

Temporarily-Brain-Damaged Ray is no longer smart enough to know that he has enough money where he never has to worry about anything. Normal Ray knows that his massive amounts of bread mean that he can be sexually aroused by fruit and no one can touch him or judge him. TBD Ray isn't smart enough and so he knows fear.

This is very interesting.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pez

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14
    • View Profile
Re: May 7, 2007 - "Dice are....from Arabia!"
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 05:23:11 pm »

I like the way Ray's mouth has gone a little bit "Philippe". It symbolises regression.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up