Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 21 Years of Age  (Read 6861 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
21 Years of Age
« on: May 07, 2007, 10:02:05 pm »

21 is the legal drinking age in the United States.  This suddenly struck me as absurd and I felt the need to share it with you.  I guess I need a blog or something.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Years of Age
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 10:15:13 pm »

I think we should get everything (cigs, drivers license, alcohol, vote, etc.) at 18.  Maybe move driving back to like 22 and have alcohol at 18.  Driving is more dangerous than alcohol, people.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Years of Age
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 10:56:36 pm »

I think we should get everything (cigs, drivers license, alcohol, vote, etc.) at 18.  Maybe move driving back to like 22 and have alcohol at 18.  Driving is more dangerous than alcohol, people.

QFMFT

Whether it was booze or pot - the first few years after I started doing them, I did them way too much.  Better to get that silliness out of the way before putting me behind the wheel.  Fortunately, my peer group was broadly inclusive of ages and degrees of indulgence (and really disapproving of driving while impaired - ostracism was not unknown).  Having a designated driver was pretty easy to do - and having an age-of buddy was useful in all circumstances.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Years of Age
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 11:26:47 pm »

Ha!  It would be so hilarious if Canadians couldn't drink 'til 21.  I we like to abide by the law, and we like beer.  We would all be so conflicted!

Yeah.  That shit totally needs to change.  I don't get it.  I thought there were some states where it was 18 though... or am I wrong?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Teatime

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 14
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Years of Age
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 11:48:15 pm »

I am in definite agreement. 21 is a totally arbitrary number. Maybe 18 is not right, on account of I can see why people don't want high school students drinking (an idea that totally ignores the ease with which an enterprising high school student can acquire alcohol), but later than 19 makes absolutely no sense to me.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Years of Age
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 11:52:11 pm »

Perhaps you should get drinking privileges when you earn your high school diploma.  It would certainly raise the graduation rate.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 21 Years of Age
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 05:45:44 am »

I am 18. I will be 19 soon, but that doesn't help very much.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Clotho

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5
  • Long-ish
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Years of Age
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 08:20:06 am »

Move to Australia? I don't understand your age restrictions, I turned eighteen in my last year of highschool and havent stopped drinking since.
Logged
You remind me of the babe.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Years of Age
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 08:24:30 am »

For me personally the point is moot.  I'm way past 21 and I don't drink anymore besides, but I would love to move to Australia.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Years of Age
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 09:41:30 am »

Licensing alcohol use is an interesting idea.  It really would be the best solution, allowing maturity and readiness to govern the privilege rather than an arbitrary number of days you have been alive.  Imagine getting points on your drinking license every time you're thrown out of a bar or punch some stranger at a concert.  Might make the world a neater place.

Now I'm just imagining the written portion of the test...

You have been drinking beer all night, but a friend encourages you to buy a round of tequila shots for last call.  What is the correct response?
A) Buy a round of what you've been having
B) Call him/her a cab and settle your bar tab
C) Buy your round and drink up
D) Refuse, question his/her parentage, and vomit on a stranger
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Years of Age
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 10:26:25 am »

I can't even comprehend the 21 thing, most people I knew in highschool drank at least occasionally before they were 18. The concept that a law like this stands up for more than 5 seconds after someone has moved out of their parents house and gone to college is pure madness.
What's driving age over there anyway? Over here you can get a learner's permit at 16 and 6 months and you need to hold that for at least 6 months before you can go for your test. So you ideally you can drive a year before you can drink.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Years of Age
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 08:10:03 pm »

15 and 6 for permit, 16 for limited license (may vary by state) 18 for full priviledge.

That licensing deal above is friggin' hilarious.

VA gives a full license at 16 (15 for a permit). I know PA used to have Cinderella licenses that expire at midnight until you turn 18 but I don't knot if they still do.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Years of Age
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 08:10:40 pm »

That licensing deal above is friggin' hilarious.

Staggering down the street with a '40 in a paper bag, cop pulls up beside you.  "Sir, I'd like to see your drinking license".  Fumbling briefly with the lanyard around your neck.  "Ok, sir.  Carry on."  Exaggerated salute back.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 21 Years of Age
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 08:23:12 pm »

You have been drinking beer all night, but a friend encourages you to buy a round of tequila shots for last call.  What is the correct response?
A) Buy a round of what you've been having
B) Call him/her a cab and settle your bar tab
C) Buy your round and drink up
D) Refuse, question his/her parentage, and vomit on a stranger
Okay, I'll bite: what's the correct answer? I'd be inclined towards B, but I'm a wuss. (Also, full points for D emulating the classic driving-test "at least one answer could be recognized as wrong by a lemur" style.)
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Years of Age
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 09:18:27 pm »

Wait, you mean D isn't the right answer?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up