Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Interview with Chris Onstad  (Read 3955 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

emilyk007

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Interview with Chris Onstad
« on: May 08, 2007, 09:26:20 pm »

Read an amusing interview with Chris Onstad, Orato:

http://www.orato.com/node/2332

Quote:
"Ominously enough I finished a page of about 10 of my first strips and put it online around 2a.m., September 11, 2001. So as you can imagine, six or seven hours later no one was going to read my comic strip because that was the day the World Trade Centers fell. It was a pretty inauspicious beginning.

About two or three weeks later, we published the site and I publicized it on The Comics Journal, went to different comics community message boards and took out an ad here and there. I didn't try very hard to publish it because I wasn’t enthused about it at the time. At that point I wasn’t trying to make a career of Achewood..."

Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Chris Onstad
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 09:54:41 pm »

Quality first post ek.  Thanks.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Interview with Chris Onstad
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 09:54:51 pm »

Quote from: Constad
"Today I was working on a screenplay. You know, where Ray and Roast Beef went down and fought in the Great Outdoor Fight. We’ve got a couple studios interested in the script, so we’re trying to finish that up and get it sold."

Just in case anyone missed that...
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Chris Onstad
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 10:00:28 pm »

If this was a comic, the title would be "May 8th, 2007 - In the end, every day that I’m better than Garfield is a win"
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Interview with Chris Onstad
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 10:14:39 pm »

Quote from: Onstad
around 2a.m., September 11, 2001. So as you can imagine, six or seven hours later no one was going to read my comic strip because that was the day the World Trade Centers fell.

Oh, so THAT'S what happened! You know, in the mix of everything, I forgot the significance.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Interview with Chris Onstad
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 10:29:06 pm »

Quote
some 14-year-old kid in Akron who’s off his medication.

he... he noticed!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Chris Onstad
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 10:46:45 pm »

I don't know why, theinev, but I thought of you when I read those words as well...

I'd take this as an invitation to resume stalking if I were you.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theauthors

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Chris Onstad
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 11:41:56 pm »

heh, some of the things he writes are complete opposites of what he said in 2002-03

Quote
Onstad: I'm not even sure if I ever read this, but I think on the sleeve of a J.R.R. Tolkein novel he says something like "the tale grew in the telling." That's my approach—I hate to plan a story, to outline it. That takes all the guts out of it, all the surprise. I like to be surprised by what happens each day when I'm toying with the thing. If it surprises me, there's a better chance it will surprise the reader. If I sit down and plot something out then more than likely I'm just going to come up with something prosaic and predictable.
and now
Quote
The fact it takes so long is basically why I’m never ahead. Newspaper cartoonists are usually about a month ahead. The curse of publishing by yourself on the Internet is that you don’t really have to do anything ahead of schedule, since there's no process involved. You just post the comic; there’s no one else you have to go through. So I’ve never really been more than a day or two ahead of the strip.

I actually sort of prefer it this way because if I have a strip done several days in advance I’ll go back and I’ll start to pick at it.

or

Quote
BT: Wow. so are you reworking these strips all the time?

CO: Once or twice a week I'll wake up, look at the strip I wrote and posted the night before and think "Oh my god that's garbage." So I'll spend an hour or so trying to catch the original thought I'd been going after, and I'll re-post the strip. This always causes a little flurry of email and message board postings from readers.

Even if the original was just lousy, there's always a legion of people who like the original better because it was first. Like guys who can't get over their first girlfriend, even if she was a mess and had like a lazy eye or something. She smelled so good! She had that smell in her hair!
and now
Quote
When I submit it to the Internet and people start talking about it and buying copies, I can’t really change it so well then. In a way, it’s a form of discipline to work on the fly as I do.
Logged
"I thought about the Big Bang and thought whether it was really a big bang, or did it just sound louder since there was no other noise to drown it out?"

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Chris Onstad
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 12:21:27 am »

Woah, I think our first poster Emily K is the author of this piece.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Chris Onstad
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 01:20:14 am »

"I'd like to emulate P.G. Wodehouse, who is best known for Jeeves and Wooster but who also basically invented American musical theatre and did so much in the 94 years he was alive."

I hope by this, Onstad means specifically, "I'd like to die of natural causes of at the age of 93, with that day's unfinished Achewood strip next to me." Or 103, 113, that would be all right too.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Chris Onstad
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 02:21:05 am »

Quote from: Chris Onstad
People always want to know why they can’t find pictures of me anywhere. I’m not freakish or anything; I look like a completely normal person you’d pass in the street. It's because from the beginning, I didn’t want it to be about me or about me promoting myself. It was all about the comic strip. After a year or two I noticed the chatter of people wondering what I looked like, and I began to like that because it was like J.D. Salinger. He was a recluse and didn’t want anyone to know about him. I also appreciate knowing that there’s no one out there pasting moustaches on me or Photoshopping my face on a woman’s body. I find it empowering to keep this privacy.

TOUAMB exclusive, for the next 10 minutes Chris Onstad

I think this picture is about 10 years old.  From when he was in college.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Chris Onstad
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 02:22:30 am »

How did you get that?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Chris Onstad
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 02:54:44 am »

damn i missed it!!!

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Chris Onstad
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 03:47:56 am »

or even better, here's a picture of his weiner dog.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Interview with Chris Onstad
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 04:16:30 am »

Here's a picture of my weiner dog.  He's really not as unhappy as he looks.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up