Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)  (Read 5029 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
« on: May 15, 2007, 08:57:17 pm »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05152007

I was wondering if we'd ever hear about Envelópe again.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 09:12:20 pm »

I thought Plath offed herself by jumping in the river.  Or was that Virginia Woolf?  Either way, a G-scale railroad re-enactment is indeed daaaaamn tacky.

I think a partially disrobed Real Doll version of Elizabeth Cady Stanton left carelessly discarded next to a half drunk box of Franzia would be a suitable display of tackiness for Ray.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 09:37:24 pm »

Man, all this after Envelope threw a fight for him and got extensive plastic surgery to disguise the fact? Ray really is the textbook definition of Ungrateful.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 10:06:52 pm »

Your belt is supposed to match your shoes? Man, fashion is too hard. I don't get this matching thing at all.

I never did see the point of switching hands when eating with a fork and knife, though. If you cut up everything all at once that would make sense, but you have to cut as you go.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 10:33:58 pm »

Your belt is supposed to match your shoes? Man, fashion is too hard. I don't get this matching thing at all.

I never did see the point of switching hands when eating with a fork and knife, though. If you cut up everything all at once that would make sense, but you have to cut as you go.

You're not allowed to cut everything up at once?
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 03:24:21 am »

Oh man.  I spent way too much time in university reading Ariel and the Bell Jar over and over.  You know what?  She's really not that good.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 03:30:50 am »

This one doesn't really click with me.  I had hoped for a funnier strip on my birthday.  I only have one other.

Oh well.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 02:42:32 pm »

I thought Plath offed herself by jumping in the river.  Or was that Virginia Woolf?  Either way, a G-scale railroad re-enactment is indeed daaaaamn tacky.

I think a partially disrobed Real Doll version of Elizabeth Cady Stanton left carelessly discarded next to a half drunk box of Franzia would be a suitable display of tackiness for Ray.

Virginia filled her pockets with rocks and drowned herself in the river. Sylvia attempted suicide about a million times before she finally lost (some people say "succeeded" but I don't really think that's the case here). She put her head in the gas oven in their flat in London.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 02:54:33 pm »

Plath also made sure to open the windows in the adjacent room, where her children were. Nice gesture, sure, but kind of marred by the overall result.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 05:40:50 pm »

my little bro' just read The Bell Jar and really liked it. Which is weird, as he's not much for pleasure-reading normally.

I cut up everything at once until really recently, when my dad made a comment. My parent's method of teaching me manners seems to mostly have consisted of "someone will tell him eventually." They also were big on doing things where suddenly they accused me of having horrible manners, as if they had taught me the proper way to do things and I was purposely mocking them by holding my fork the wrong way.

um, don't drink Franzia people. It leads to problems. (also don't drink tequila, but that's because it's just nasty.)   (it took me a minute to remember who Elizabeth Cady Stanton was.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 06:27:11 pm »

They also were big on doing things where suddenly they accused me of having horrible manners, as if they had taught me the proper way to do things and I was purposely mocking them by holding my fork the wrong way.

MY PARENTS DID THIS TOO. God, it's funny that you would mention it on this strip because I remember I got in a huge fight with my dad when I was in eighth grade because I did NOT move my fork between hands just to take a bite of meat. I agree with Ray - it is tacky (well actually, I don't see why it's tacky - more useless) and a waste of energy and no one notices. Except Ray and Bill James, apparently.

My dad told me that someone probably hated me because I didn't switch my fork.

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 07:26:21 pm »

It appears Ray is saying that moving your fork between hands just for a bite is what is tacky, not failing to do so.
Logged
~

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 08:49:08 pm »

Plath also made sure to open the windows in the adjacent room, where her children were. Nice gesture, sure, but kind of marred by the overall result.

Apparently she sealed the door to the childrens' room with wet towels in an effort to protect them, and I'm guessing that she opened the window in their room. However, it's pretty surprising that they didn't get CO poisoning -- hey, maybe they did, but they were removed to fresh air by the neighbors or something and recovered. Even if you open the window, you can still be injured or even die in a carbon-monoxide poisoned room. I am reminded of a story that I read in the Rocky Mountain News about a dude who tried to kill himself in the garage. He ended up changing his mind, but someone else was asleep in the bedroom upstairs and died from CO poisoning. The CO molecules have an affinity to hemoglobin and hog all the space on your RBCs, thereby crowding out the oxygen.
Logged

RMJ12345

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 381
  • all employing the principles of hopping
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 10:26:54 pm »

It appears Ray is saying that moving your fork between hands just for a bite is what is tacky, not failing to do so.

I know. My dad takes the point of view opposite Ray's. What I'm saying is that they both care about it, and I don't understand why.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: an antique gas oven by the birch tree (May 15, 2007)
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 10:41:55 pm »

I feel for rumjay. Having to choose between her father and Ray.

I'd just say screw it and eat without hands at all, trough-stylezz
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up