Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: This new song on the radio  (Read 3231 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
This new song on the radio
« on: May 16, 2007, 01:51:36 am »

So the wife and I heard this song on the radio the other day. It is called "Lazy Eye," by a group called Silversun Pickups.

We listened silently for about 30 seconds, before I finally spoke up:

"Did the Smashing Pumpkins get back together?"

After a while, you realize it is not, in fact, the case. But on first listen, suddenly I was back in 1993.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 02:01:33 am »

Hells yes, Silversun Pickups rock like it's no joke.  "Smashing Pumpkins without the rock-god pretentiousness" is how I've described it to people.  The whole album frickin' rocks.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 03:15:18 am »

But the Smashing Pumpkins have reunited. Or half of 'em did.  Personally I don't think it's really a reunion without the girly-boy and the blond chick.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 03:22:50 am »

I don't count that particular exercise. Paul, Ringo, and two others would not re-make the Beatles, and Corgan would be better off for recognizing that.
Logged

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 04:30:58 am »

But on first listen, suddenly I was back in 1993.

When I first read that my brain's immediate, completely sincere reaction was, "You mean it's not 1993?"
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 05:56:09 am »

I don't count that particular exercise. Paul, Ringo, and two others would not re-make the Beatles, and Corgan would be better off for recognizing that.

Yes, but the Smashing Pumpkins have always been Billy Corgan and three lucky dudes riding his coat tails to stardom.  Not the case with the Beatles.

Man, I could stand to hear some 1993 era Smashing Pumpkins.  Silversun Pickups.  Is it Smashing Pumpkins in disguise?  That name is a little suspicious.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 02:39:29 pm »

Yes, but the Smashing Pumpkins have always been Billy Corgan and three lucky dudes riding his coat tails to stardom.  Not the case with the Beatles.

I'm not sure I altogether agree.  Yes, Corgan is/was the driving force, but the other members actually brought some character and musicianship to the band.  The fact that I can actually name them (James Iha, Darcy, Jimmy Chamberlain) says something.

Back to SSPU... here, rock out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlsO-JSA2pc
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 05:26:04 pm »

...really? Smashing Pumpkins? Huh.

My friend down the hall... who I guess is no longer my friend down the hall, now that I no longer live on that hall... said "have you heard that My Bloody Valentine band? The Silversun Pickups are like if they didn't suck."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 09:28:06 pm »

Whoa dawg, you cats can have your Pumpkins and Pickups, just lets leave My Bloody Valentine out of this.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 10:01:25 pm »

no, yeah. I love Loveless, but I just let it slide. When I start defending bands I like, I start saying incredibly douche-tastic things.
Greatest Hits: "You don't know what the fuck you're talking about! This is good!(to the personnel director of the radio station, when she said that DJ Shadow sucked.)"
"Yes, there IS such a thing as "Good." I decide what is good."

And other things along that vein. Basically I go into a mode where I DECIDE WHAT IS GOOD and I get all bitchy.
See Also: when I hang out with my jackass formerly-best-friend who says that all punk is worthless, and listens to bluegrass and country and jambandshit.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 10:49:25 pm »

Yes, but the Smashing Pumpkins have always been Billy Corgan and three lucky dudes riding his coat tails to stardom.  Not the case with the Beatles.

Eh.... that must have been why Zwan did so well.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 06:29:23 am »

Eh.... that must have been why Zwan did so well.

Machina sucked ass too.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 12:52:38 pm »

Machina sucked ass too.

Not compared to Machina 2
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 03:21:17 pm »

The Smashing Pumpkins were excellent at the outset.  gish is a great album, and siamese dream one of my all-time favorites.

Then Billy Corgan stopped going for his Judas Priest merit badge and decided he was a serious songwriter.  With dire results, especially after Jimmy Chamberlin left the band.  Without JC on the kit, Billy Corgan turned out to have a pretty small bag of tricks.

Machina starts off reasonably well, if you think telling the Cure to pretend they're Ministry qualifies as "reasonably well."  Then it takes a swan dive into the potty around track 7, and stays there until the final song, which may as well be called "Tonight, Tonight Part Two."

The actual "album" part of Machina II is, for the first 40 minutes, the best SP album since siamese dream.  The mix reflects a renewed understanding that Jimmy Chamberlin is a god, and that you should highlight him instead of burying him in cotton.  "Let Me Give the World To You" might have been the hit single that saved them.  Instead, they threw the album away and died.

Zwan: yuck.

Hopes for this new SP album: not high. 

My Bloody Valentine: I don't do drugs anymore, so I can't stand them. 

Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 04:53:48 pm »

Assessment of the decline and fall of SP

I agree completely with all of that.  Especially the part about Jimmy Chamberlain.  Although I would add that Mellon Collie/Aeroplane is their best work.  And I enjoy Adore despite the absence of JC. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up