Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: This new song on the radio  (Read 3218 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 01:53:41 am »

Nothing to add to the Smashing Pumpkins discussion except I really liked Melon Collie, and Billy Corrigan is one of those people who are just a shaved head waiting to happen.  Seriously, he looks so wrong with hair.

Anyway, the name Silversun Pickups comes from the fact that the band's from the Silverlake area of LA, and their liquor store of choice was called Silversun somethingorother.  Liquor store runs were thus Silversun Pickups.  I learned this from the local radio station that has been playing them for like a year, and I'm officially tired of Lazyeye.  Trouble is, my backup radio station has just recently discovered this song and has it in heavy rotation...

Anyway.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 02:59:38 am »

Disc Jockeys.  Now theres a source of reliable information.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 07:42:43 am »

Smashing Pumpkins-- there was a really awkward moment 2 nights ago when someone announced that they are playing in Asheville. Such things were uttered as "only 25$? We should go for two shows, at least!" Everyone was really really excited, simultaneously and unplanned. Except for my friend Sarah and I-- we just stared at each other. Confusing.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 03:39:04 pm »

I saw Smashing Pumpkins in '97 and they were awesome.  Really one of the best shows i've seen.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 06:01:31 pm »

I saw them that year too Paul, in the 4th row.  I think I still have hearing damage from that one.  Also, I saw the lead singer of the Frogs standing offstage watching the show, he saw me see him, and he got all uncomfortable.  He got up and played with them in the encoure though, and since I'm a bigger fan of the Frogs than the Pumpkins, it was a real treat for me.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2007, 06:24:42 pm »

Don't know the Frogs.  Garbage opened here and they were awesome too.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 02:09:14 am »

The Frogs are worth checking out.  They have been sampled in Beck songs, inspired the likes of Pearl Jam, Nirvana and the Smashing Pumpkins, and also the singer sometimes wears a giant pair of wings green wings, as he did on the night I saw him with the SP.  They sing such crowd pleasers as "I Only Play For Money (I Don't Give a Fuck About the Fans)" and "Hot Cock Annie."  I've shared their "It's Only Right And Natural" album with every guy friend who's come out - they lyrics are witty and extremely subversive.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 06:24:41 pm »

Christ on a fuck*ng crutch, are you telling me that the band that did "I'm Sad The Goat Just Died Today" did other songs? Good songs? I had always assumed they were a one-horror-and-out group.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: This new song on the radio
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 06:56:23 pm »

It's all relative... the Frogs are intentionally shitty most of the time, sort of "car crash" good, not... good good.  I've never heard this goat song, but basically if you can sit through Baby Greaser George (a song about a baby who is apparently hot to suck cock...) than you can sit through anything.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up