Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 24-hour film competitions  (Read 1553 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
24-hour film competitions
« on: May 21, 2007, 04:13:46 am »

Have any of you party-people tried one of these before?

My buddies and I entered one a coupla weekends ago and... we had to shoot a short film from a title provided at the top of the 24 hour clock and have it edited and handed in the exact same minute the next day.

It was pretty wild. While it's kind of an arbitrary exercise, man, it is fun to see what you can come up with on the fly.

We did well enough, in the top 12 out of 30 entries, to at least make the competition screening at the end and... like... that's pretty much prize enough, insofar as a jury of our peers said "this is not so bad as to not be shown in public".

I love weird contests like that.

Anything similar in other creative fields that I don't know about?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 24-hour film competitions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 04:31:48 am »

There was a thing were you had to make, like, a song a day for a month, or something.  It is on this board, but I can't find it.

Also, similarly, the band Bishop Allen released an EP every month last year.  They are pretty fun to listen to.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 24-hour film competitions
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 07:33:35 am »

I almost did it with some friends. But they crapped out on me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: 24-hour film competitions
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 08:25:26 pm »

Our band's singer said "Hey, let's go up to the shack in Carmel for a long weekend and record a new album.  Only let's go in with no previously written material!"  So we did.

We cheated.  One of the songs we recorded was previously written.  The other twelve we wrote and recorded on the spur of the moment.  We also got very drunk.  So we had that going for us.

Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: 24-hour film competitions
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 02:13:42 am »

I've officiated the same sort of contest for the stage.  It's a good time, but also tends to remind me that I am getting older.  I am more and more about "getting a good night's sleep" and less and less about "staying up all night doing _________."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up