Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TERRIBLE!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 21 May '07 -- You're the man in like seventy ways  (Read 5243 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 21 May '07 -- You're the man in like seventy ways
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2007, 01:10:44 pm »

A gram?  A gram!
About the weight of a single raisin
About the weight of a paper clip, now isn't that amazin'!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 21 May '07 -- You're the man in like seventy ways
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2007, 04:44:17 am »

A yard is 0.91 meters, so that should actually be one of the easier concepts to wrap our heads around in either direction.

It should be but as someone starts talking about a distance beyond say 3 yards I am completely unable to judge how long they mean. My brain just refuses to do the calculations. Not sure why.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 21 May '07 -- You're the man in like seventy ways
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2007, 09:57:25 pm »

One of my good friends here is Dutch (Hollandaise? Netherlander? whatever). Anyway, she was getting confused when I was talking about something in terms of a "300 yard radius". I then explained, "Oh, just think of it as around 300 meters, it's pretty close." Then of course my boss had to make sure to patronizingly inform me in a you-are-so-stupid voice that a yard was not the same as a meter.

I had to stop and manually turn off my sarcasm switch in order to say, "Yes, I know that. That is why I said AROUND, and IT'S PRETTY CLOSE."
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 21 May '07 -- You're the man in like seventy ways
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2007, 05:52:42 am »

As a brief experiment, I plan to refer to the Dutch folks I know as Hollandaise, and see how it goes.  Since I know all of 2 - it will be brief indeed.  They'll probably just assume I'm a stupid American and ignore me.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up