Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: May 22, 2007 -- a pig in goggles getting pretty badly harmed by a sentence  (Read 5165 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

ananke

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 74
  • !لو ائكل الخنزير لأموت
    • View Profile

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05222007

Wow. This is just good. I'm not even laughing, I'm just kind of startled by the tone of this one. But I like it.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

The tone doesn't exactly suprise me, this is Beef thinking about marriage, it's not going to be cheery, but it is a dramatic turn from this arc so far.
Kind of suprising he doesn't equate it with something much more horrible.

Also: Ananke, I always like to pretend the dude in your avatar (you?) is making airplane noises while running around with his arms stretched out. I hope this is ok with you.

Edit: I love Onstad's night time backgrounds. Freaking beautiful.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

ananke

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 74
  • !لو ائكل الخنزير لأموت
    • View Profile

Well, I was actually more startled by the tone of the last couple of frames of the last strip. I'm more sort of intrigued at the continuation of this sudden stark unhumor. It seems out of place in the Achewoods of the past few months. I'm not complaining, mind.

"You even think for a minute there's some better way to play it?" A great line, and I'm really excited to see where this ends up. I'm expecting an Emeril & Spongebath consultation again.

Edit: Not me, but your imagination is completely acceptable here.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

It's like we walk around with dynamite in our mouths. This is just too deep for first thing in the morning.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

This strip skips over the most important fact: Does the NSC have a Sentence of the Week?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

Nearly any Achewood strip could have a missing fourth panel where a pig was pretty badly harmed by something related to the subjects of said strip. The missing fifth panel would involve the pig being cured, put into a fancy-looking wrapper and sent to the artist for the purposes of eating.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

hoogli44

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile

I have indeed let my mouth-dynamite explode on occasion.
"I didn't say you were a bitch. I said you were acting like a bitch."
Conversely, I've been blown-up on too:
"I really just like you as a friend." Ka-boom! I imagine myself standing there like a looney tune after smoking one of those exploding cigars.

Anyone else?
Logged
I have no explanation.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com

Being told by a girl that I liked, "Yeah, I went out with _________... we had a really good time, I ended up staying over at his place last night." In a way, I think this is almost worse than the "as a friend" line, because it prompts imagery. Infuriating, nauseating, imagery. Nothing makes a man lonlier than knowing the one he's after has found someone else.

Logged

mrchee

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 163
  • -NULLAM REM NATAM-
    • View Profile

Good Strip. 
Logged
If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

Nearly any Achewood strip could have a missing fourth panel where a pig was pretty badly harmed by something related to the subjects of said strip. The missing fifth panel would involve the pig being cured, put into a fancy-looking wrapper and sent to the artist for the purposes of eating.

It's like the Achewood version of adding "in bed" to fortunes.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

Quote
Nothing makes a man lonelier than knowing the one he's after has found someone else to put his c*ck in her.

fixed that for you.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest

This strip is great because it's true, really. And that's all I have to say about that.
Logged

hammish

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 33
  • Hammish has not been renewed for 2009.
    • View Profile

I want this missing fourth panel so badly. I can taste the dusty residue of previous explosions still clinging to the goggles. The undulation of the pig's jowls reeling from sentential impacts flappapates in my ears. Oh, if only I didn't know such a fourth panel were possible. And yet out of reach.
Logged

ImpyChick

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 12
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile

Being told by a girl that I liked, "Yeah, I went out with _________... we had a really good time, I ended up staying over at his place last night." In a way, I think this is almost worse than the "as a friend" line, because it prompts imagery. Infuriating, nauseating, imagery. Nothing makes a man lonlier than knowing the one he's after has found someone else.

Sad...but very, very, very true.  I'm generally not a lonely person.  Most of the time I enjoy being single.  And it's very rare that I get smitten with someone to the point of actually wanting a relationship with her.  And, more often than not, said girl finds someone else before I can pony up the guts to let her know how I feel. 
Logged

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE

The depressed cat does not know which terrifies him more about the life-altering decision — the potential for misery or the potential for happiness.

Can't bury this one in the backyard, dude.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up