Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: which fuzzy animal?  (Read 7304 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
which fuzzy animal?
« on: May 22, 2007, 04:43:58 pm »

im getting a single next year (meaning a dorm room without a roommate). So for that and other obvious reasons Id like to get a fuzzy roommate. The problem is that I cant figure out which creature to get. I want one that is smart enough to recognize me as its owner, not produce infinite amounts of smelly crap, not make strange annoying noises , and be large enough to hold such as a bunny sized animal or slightly smaller.
Any ideas?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: which fuzzy animal?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 05:03:46 pm »

hm. I am living in a single, too... but I do not think I am allowed to have pets.

I am not sure, I was never allowed to have small furry pets.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: which fuzzy animal?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 05:49:23 pm »

I want one that is smart enough to recognize me as its owner, not produce infinite amounts of smelly crap, not make strange annoying noises , and be large enough to hold such as a bunny sized animal or slightly smaller.
Any ideas?
It sounds like you've answered your own question...
The ladies like them more than rats, too.  Failing that, you could get a ferret.  Their poop stinks, but is modest in quantity.  They are quite clever, and although they make strange noises its more cute than annoying.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: which fuzzy animal?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 06:05:56 pm »

As a former small mammal professional I am highly in favor of guinea pigs.  There are lots of places where you can adopt one rather than buying it - lots of links here, for example:http://www.guineapighome.com/

I interviewed a person who runs a guinea pig rescue recently and she warned that you should not trust the information you get at pet stores about diet and housing requirements. There is lots of information available from guinea pig rescue sites on the web and she recommended this site for cages: http://www.guineapigcages.com/. You need a bigger cage than most pet stores will recommend or have room to keep in stock.

Rats are also great pets - rat people are fanatically enthusiastic about them.  Very intelligent and personable. Here's a start if you want to adopt one: http://www.kimsarkrescue.org/

But, if you want something only slightly smaller than a rabbit, and in the same point on the cuddliness scale, a guinea pig is more suitable, I think.  You do need to be prepared to keep up on the cleaning though, because although their poop is not very smelly - nice clean herbivore poop - they do pee a fair amount.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: which fuzzy animal?
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 06:08:04 pm »

Oh, and as far as noises: make sure the biology of the animal you pick coincides with your schedule.  You don't want to share a single room with a nocturnal animal if you sleep normal hours.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: which fuzzy animal?
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 06:26:37 pm »

Guinea pigs are pretty damn stupid, but they are cute. Rats are certainly smarter, and if I get an apartment next year that will allow me to keep rats, I'll probably pick up a couple.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: which fuzzy animal?
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 06:38:01 pm »

Pigs are not geniuses, but it's worth remembering that that has a bright side.  Animals that are smart (primates of all types and certain breeds of dogs, for example, and probably ferrets) need a lot more entertainment to keep them from getting into trouble.  Some amount of dumbness = much lower maintenance lifeform.

I can't swear if my pig recognized its owners, but it certainly recognized the sound of the refrigerator door being opened. So they can learn some things. 

However I do think it's worth pointing out that if V is not sick of rats by now, that speaks very well of them.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: which fuzzy animal?
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 07:12:11 pm »

Ferrets are smart, but holy hell do they stink.  They are not dorm-pet material in my book.

As for Guinea Pigs, this video always makes me want one, but I do worry about the dire consequences.

As for a rabbit, my friend had one that was litter trained, which always struck me as sorta cool.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: which fuzzy animal?
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 08:15:22 pm »

I'm casting another vote in favor of guinea pigs. They are super cute and while not all that bright they will eventually learn "this human gives me delicious vegetables".
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: which fuzzy animal?
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 08:45:52 pm »

Damn, Sideshow!  I almost didn't even make it past the opening credits because of this:



Punch is a bastard.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: which fuzzy animal?
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 09:23:14 pm »

Punch is a bastard.

Totally.  Punch instigated the whole situation by bringing out both bags of money.  Also, Judy is stupid for not demanding both bags, rather than just the bigger of the two.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: which fuzzy animal?
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 11:05:33 pm »

Those monkeys were too horrible for me to watch, so I can only assume that guinea pigs were involved later in some dreadful way that I didn't want to see anyway?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: which fuzzy animal?
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 01:25:20 am »

Actually, wombat, the guinea pig is about the only thing that does not come to grief in that video. The guinea pig actually does pretty well for itself, after a fashion.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: which fuzzy animal?
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 01:56:49 am »

When I lived in the dorms, zero pets were allowed. I thought it was pretty retarded.

I tried to get guinea pigs once. I built them a huuuuge open-top enclosure (8 feet by 4 feet) so they could run laps. I read and read about them on knowledgeable internet pig-centric sites and thought they were adorable. I read cute stories from happy 'pig owners who adored their little guys and bought them fresh veg all the time. I got a metric-shit-ton of Carefresh and alfalfa. I got cute little piggy-igloos for them to sleep in, water bottles, treats, food, chew toys, a book on 'pigs, the whole nine yards.

When I brought them home...

I just looked at their beady little eyes. They looked at me and scampered about. It became readily apparent that one of them bullied and bit the other one. I realized, "these things are raised like chickens in South America for food." and "I cannot love these animals." I hung my head in shame, then packed them back into their cat carrier and took them back to the store.

My little sister cut out a little infographic of "Guinea Pig Returned For Store Credit" from The Onion and sent it to me recently.



*****EDIT: Would I feel this way about other animals, such as a pug dog? I see Drew and Natalie's pugs Charles and Chester, and they are so dang cute I can hardly stand it. The Onion has another amusing article about pugs here. Drew and Natalie also have a bunch of awesome pug videos on their YouTube space, drewtoothpaste and oldnataliedee.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 02:16:04 am by linnea »
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: which fuzzy animal?
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 02:23:20 am »

Feel free to disabuse me of the concept if I'm wrong, but my general impression from childhood ownage and adult interactions with the pigs has left me with the sense that they are essentially dumb as a rock (which they will eat and make strange croakings from).

I dunno, the one they got on Wonder Pets! seems pretty intelligent to me.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up