Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Musical instruments for non-musical types  (Read 7639 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2003, 10:40:47 am »

I'd go with bass.  It's easier, of course, fewer strings, but there's equal potential to become amazing... I wish I had a non-punk rock analogy for this, but anyone who thinks all bassists just do Sid Vicious stuff (2/3 chords) should listen to Rancid.  (Caveat:  I'm actually an indie rocker, please dont tell anyone I just namedropped the Sex Pistols and Rancid.)


But yeah, bass equals rad.  You get the same attractiveness factor as guitarists too.
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2003, 01:15:31 pm »

The Pistols are just indie that got out, man.  They'll live on forever.  They're the fuck*ng Beatles of punk.

Bass is cool, but I had no fun playing mine by myself in my room.  I grooved on the brass for awhile - I played trumpet and had too much fun.

But I've had a crush on the sax for awhile.

I'll leave the line above by itself for easy quoting by the unimaginative and their double-entendres.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2003, 03:56:00 pm »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I'd go with bass.  It's easier, of course, fewer strings, but there's equal potential to become amazing... I wish I had a non-punk rock analogy for this, but anyone who thinks all bassists just do Sid Vicious stuff (2/3 chords) should listen to Rancid.


Of course there were the days when they used to just turn off Sid' amp because live he never managed to play anything remotely musical.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2003, 04:05:04 pm »

Other bass advantages: if you want to be in a band, you'll be in a band.  If you peruse music classifieds, you'll see a million guitar players looking for a band, and a million bands looking for a bass player.

Andalucia said the attractiveness factor is the same as for guitarists, but in my experience, it's actually higher.  Ladies seem to love them some bass players.  Perhaps it's because bassists have to build a bridge between what the guitarist and drummer are doing, and thus have to actually be able to listen.  

Or not.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2003, 05:05:37 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"

Andalucia said the attractiveness factor is the same as for guitarists, but in my experience, it's actually higher.  Ladies seem to love them some bass players.  Perhaps it's because bassists have to build a bridge between what the guitarist and drummer are doing, and thus have to actually be able to listen.  

Or not.


I think it's because, most of the time, the bassist is the quiet mysterious one who plays a cool instrument. Most of the time there's either a guitarrist or a non 'musician' singing, so the bassist tends to just hang back and do his job. I think women like the mysterious allure...

Or not!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2003, 05:20:14 pm »

I think it's the deep reverberations.  Do you know how much trim Yo-Yo Ma gets on tour?  Seriously!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2003, 05:57:07 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
 I played viola for six years


Hey!  My daughter is in her third year of playing viola.  Any advice for her?

Re: sinister guitar fretwork.  

I always wondered why the guitar isn't set up to where you use your dominant hand to do the fretwork.  It seems like that's the harder job of the two, why wouldn't you use your better hand to do it?  'Course, I always just played as a normal righty.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2003, 06:11:02 pm »

Well, I'd sleep with Yo Yo Ma if I saw him. Well, OK no, but the guy is wonderful. Nearly went to see him in Amsterdam when I was over.

And August, I think one of the benefits that I do get out of playing normally right handed is that I do at least have strength and fineness in the picking and strumming rhythm. Doesn't always seem important, but when I try to teach my mate how to do any rhythms he just can't get them. May also be something about him not having great rhythmic sense (he can keep time, but can't change the strumming pattern much).
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2003, 06:28:00 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Hey!  My daughter is in her third year of playing viola.  Any advice for her?


Don't give in to the pressure to switch to cello or violin.  Some violists are just closet violinists or something, all trying to make a viola sound like a violin.  It's not.  Enjoy the low notes; revel in the alto tones.  They're gorgeous and soulful in a way that violinists are incapable of reproducing.  Love your viola for what it is, not what others think it should be.  

Always carry a full set of extra strings.  Your fellow orchestra members will thank you.  

Get a good book of viola solos and play stuff you like.  Solos for viola can be hard to find, but here's a start.  The more you like your music, the more you'll practice; the more you practice, the better you'll get; the better you get, the less you'll have to practice.  

Join the orchestra at your school if you haven't already.  If you're learning to play exclusively at school, take private lessons or go to music camp over the summer.  It keeps your fingers limber.  

Forget vibrato; focus on shifting.  If you can shift like a fiend, you can play some kickin' fiddle tunes.  

Don't store your shoulder rest inside your viola case.  That's a sure-fire way to damage your instrument.  Mine cracked right below the f-hole.  Yeah, I'm expecting some jokes on that one.  

Oh, and never ask me for advice.  I'm too preachy.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2003, 06:54:52 pm »

Huh huh huh.  JL said "F-hole".
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2003, 08:33:35 pm »

You just wish you were the one who broke it.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2003, 11:19:09 pm »

That's the most worked-up I've ever seen anyone get over the subject of the viola.  You go, JL!
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2003, 12:16:38 am »

I don't know, the thought of a "broken" f-hole is a little disturbing.

I've heard of them tearing, and it sounds like the MOST unpleasant thing EVER.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2003, 02:32:03 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
That's the most worked-up I've ever seen anyone get over the subject of the viola.  You go, JL!


I lived through six years of hearing, "Why don't you switch to violin" from my mother.  I get passionate.  *shrug*

Quote from: "Jough"
I don't know, the thought of a "broken" f-hole is a little disturbing.


Owwww!  Oh my goodness!  That is the worst thing ever!  If someone broke my f-hole I'd never let him (or her) within six feet of me again.  

I say six feet because that's how deep they bury you.  When you're dead.  Because I'd murder him (or her).
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2003, 03:36:58 am »

I thought she said 6 feet because of the old "wouldn't touch that with a 6 foot pole"...because if someone touched you in the f-hole vicinity with a 6-foot pole, you would surely suffer a broken f-hole.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up