Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musical instruments for non-musical types  (Read 7629 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2003, 03:42:49 am »

I showed Lucy (my daughter) your post, JL and she appreciated it.  She's been in her school orchestra and is just starting in a city-wide youth orchestra.  She's supposed to start private lessons soon.

I don't know why she chose viola, but I wouldn't dream of pressuring her to switch.  If that's what she wants to play, more power to her.  Hell, if she wants to be a trianglist, I'm fine with that.  Seems to me like there's more opportunity for violists.  Seems like there's about 20 violins for every viola out there.

And if anyone gets near her f-hole I'll rip his lungs out.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2003, 03:55:54 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I don't know why she chose viola, but I wouldn't dream of pressuring her to switch.  If that's what she wants to play, more power to her.  Hell, if she wants to be a trianglist, I'm fine with that.

Great, now you've just reminded me of all my hard hours behind the triangle.. nice.

(And yes, I spent my time with triangles. It's a fairly natural place for a 7th-grade band member whom the director does not like at all.)
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2003, 01:19:55 pm »

V, I think you should be proud of your triangling (trangling? triangle playing?  triangle mastery?).  Remember, there are no small parts only small triangles.  Whatever the hell THAT means.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2003, 02:18:04 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
V, I think you should be proud of your triangling (trangling? triangle playing?  triangle mastery?).  Remember, there are no small parts only small triangles.  Whatever the hell THAT means.

a) Yes, there are small triangles. Very small.
b) No, there is such a thing as a small part -- when you have one note halfway through the song, it is simply not possible to play that note with so much flair that anybody notices you. Trust me; I've tried.

Bah. Now I want to write "Percussion Pit Confidential."
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Musical instruments for non-musical types
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2003, 06:33:31 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
when you have one note halfway through the song, it is simply not possible to play that note with so much flair that anybody notices you. Trust me; I've tried.


Ah you just have to kind of, do a peice of contemporary dance in the most bizare Iggy Pop fashion up to the very front, threaten to fall on the first row, then hit the triangle on cue as hard as possible. I'm sure that would get you noticed.
Fair enough, you may only make it happen in one performance due to... erm... getting dropped. But it would be fun.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up