Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HIDE YOUR SHAME
by wearing new t-shirts from Word Front Wares. Shroud yourself in pure unadulterated awesome.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I want to go to the Preakness.  (Read 2712 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
I want to go to the Preakness.
« on: May 26, 2007, 11:52:04 am »

The Kentucky Derby may have Mint Juleps and a hint of dignity, but it has nothing as cool as this.


And yeah, I realize that all the races get pretty crazy, but there is a way that Baltimore people can just out low class anyone (alright, well arguably Philly could have them beat) when it comes to sports that makes this video so awesome.  I mean, you wouldn't even get this in a NASCAR race in Northern Florida.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 11:56:35 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 12:43:36 pm »

Classy.  I guess that the audience for NASCAR and hoss racing isn't that far removed from one another.  This sure shatters any myth that may exist of hoss Racing being a genteel sport.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 06:24:05 pm »

a guy who was on my cross country team's family hosted the Charlotte Steeplechase (maybe it was actually called The Queen's Cup Steeplechase?) every year. His backyard.... was a racetrack.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 03:51:28 am »

The Preakness?  Meh.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 05:46:54 am »

The Preakness?  Meh.


And yeah, I realize that all the races get pretty crazy

The Kentucky Derby seems like a grand sociological experiment (well, based on that HST article, mainly).  The Preakness seems like a huge party, with a hoss (edit:  hey, this was a typo, but it makes sense) race.

Also, I had read that article probably a year ago, and put it in just because I thought you might respond about how awesome the home town race is, I had no idea you would respond with the article.  Honestly, I am just jealous of anyone with easy access to the triple crown races, and I am not even a gambler.  Just a Sociology/ History student who likes to party and learn about fucked up things/ people.

Edit 2:  I just learned the first (maybe after they changed lengths?) Kentucky Derby jockey winner was an African American.  I don't know why that is important or whatever, but I found it interesting, being Kentucky and all.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 08:27:12 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 02:18:23 pm »

Is HST meant to be taken seriously?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 04:22:33 pm »

About as seriously as a shot with a beer back while coming down off a weekend mescaline trip.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 05:11:57 pm »

Quote from: jaydub
About as seriously as a shot with a beer back while coming down off a weekend mescaline trip.

In other words, deadly serious?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 08:38:29 pm »

... is it really like that? I am both attracted and repelled. I think going to the Derby would get me off of this whole thing where I love rich southern people.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 09:59:16 pm »

Well, he has his interpretation.  Also, when he is lying it is usually obvious just to make the article/ book more fun.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 03:19:34 am »

... is it really like that? I am both attracted and repelled. I think going to the Derby would get me off of this whole thing where I love rich southern people.

Yes and no.  The Derby isn't just rich people and it isn't just southern people.  The infield is the cheap seats where the younger/harder core element parties.  The grandstand is the median.  In the clubhouse, the sky is the limit.  Queen Elizabeth was here this year.  Sheesh.

Is it drunken debauchery, even 30 years after HST's article?  Abso-fuck*ng-lutely.  You should come.  You should all come.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I want to go to the Preakness.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 04:15:27 am »

A-SO:"Preakness" is just a hideous word. It has the same effect on me of fake cutesy words such as the title "Wee-Sing" for a series of children sing-along tapes... that is, it makes my skin crawl.

I wish I were exaggerating.

See also:
"Blinkies"
Folksonomy
any euphemism for genitals or bodily functions used by children/parents
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1]   Go Up