Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Band on shirt and on stage.  (Read 6046 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Band on shirt and on stage.
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 10:19:01 pm »

I am kind of mad...
I have spent so long saying that I don't want to be "That Guy" in a variety of situations... I had no idea that it came from a movie.

my friend said she was making me a shirt that said "That Guy" on it, but either she was joking, or she is a bum. Probably both.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Band on shirt and on stage.
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 01:50:08 am »

Maybe people need something new to be pretentious about.

Paul sums it up in a nutshell.


I thought you were only allowed to wear your Ramones or Misfits t-shirt.

I rock the Misfits shirt with the original band members signatures on it.

Also, going back to work this time, I will be wearing my brand new Bad Brains tee, because they are the only DC hardcore band that ever really mattered.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Band on shirt and on stage.
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 02:36:18 am »

So, is there only song that is super-fast and awesome "Pay to Cum"? That song is... so good.
I also love "Don't Bother Me" quite a lot. Then again, the only albums I have are "Banned in DC" and "I Against I". I Against I just... doesn't really do it for me. Most of Banned in DC doesn't, either.

Maybe I'm just meant to drive around with my Minor Threat Complete Discography on repeat forever...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Band on shirt and on stage.
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 02:48:05 am »

I love Minor Threat, but (a) Ian is too earnest, and (b) Minor Threat is unlikely to play in my neck of the woods any time too soon. Plus, HR sings better.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Band on shirt and on stage.
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 03:01:38 am »

oh man. we just have fundamentally different needs in a song, then. Too Earnest is my favorite.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Band on shirt and on stage.
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 03:02:20 am »


Also, going back to work this time, I will be wearing my brand new Bad Brains tee, because they are the only DC hardcore band that ever really mattered.

Hmmm, I have never heard them, but I saw them this weekend.  I enjoyed it.   
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Band on shirt and on stage.
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 03:08:08 am »

oh man. we just have fundamentally different needs in a song, then. Too Earnest is my favorite.

We probably have fundamentally different needs in everything other than Kitten/Duck hardcore.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Band on shirt and on stage.
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 06:33:00 am »

I always understood this maxim to mean that you should never buy a current tour/album T-shirt at the concert and immediately put it on.  Following this logic, it is OK to wear T-shirts from previous albums/tours, because this means that you and the band go way back.  Fans with no life measure seniority by the length of time they have been fans, after all.

Personally, I tend to wear nine dollar T-shirts that basically are a color.  I usually forget I'm wearing something with a phrase on it, so I get uncomfortable when strangers stare at my belly area and then laugh.

Also I don't see how words on a shirt double its value.

Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Band on shirt and on stage.
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 01:34:38 pm »

I wear absolutely no clothing with visible labels, including band T-shirts.  I used to back in the day, but not anymore.  It springs from not wanting to advertise anything, but for bands, it is just that I am not really much of a fanatic about things, and my tastes in music changes pretty often.  I haven't really been fervently devoted to any specific band since my teens (when fervency and fanaticism are common place).  I've been to plenty of shows, but what I wear to them almost never crosses my mind.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Band on shirt and on stage.
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 03:46:34 pm »

I'm even a bit hesitant to wear other bands shirts at gigs, although I tend to up end up doing so. I've got a couple of tees that are actually a fan design based on The Mars Volta, and don't have the name printed on them at all, so I'd probably quite happily wear that to a TMV show. I managed to get a QotSA shirt from the tour I went to see them on when I got another shirt and hoodie from their site, but I doubt I'd wear it to a show. I've worn it to many a folk gig though!

None of this is to say that I can put my finger on what bothers me about it... I'd never really considered why before.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Band on shirt and on stage.
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 06:58:36 pm »

I make sure never to be wearing an Achewood shirt when I am reading the strip.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Band on shirt and on stage.
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 08:37:16 pm »

Does anyone remember if I've told Nabu lately that I love him?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Band on shirt and on stage.
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 09:35:57 pm »

Oh, I do wear my achewood shirts*, but since neither say anything about Achewood on them, I consider them to obscure to be an advertisement for anything.

(* actually one has a hole and varnish on it, the other is stained in a horrible, perminant way, hence I wear them to do yard work.)
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Band on shirt and on stage.
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 10:38:53 pm »

Does anyone remember if I've told Nabu lately that I love him?

Will anyone be wondering when I show up on your doorstep and shower you with kisses? Because I can make that happen. It actually would be a fun thing for me to do next time I am off work.

Plane tickets are more or less free for me.

You don't mind if I sleep in your garage, or barring you garage, in your back yard or in the middle of your street?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Band on shirt and on stage.
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 11:23:51 pm »

Plane tickets are more or less free for me.

You don't mind if I sleep in your garage, or barring you garage, in your back yard or in the middle of your street?

Trust me, you don't want to sleep in our gararge. But there's always the back seat of my VW Beetle. Cozy!

Why are plane tickets free? All of the airlines bow down before your great lifestyle sacrifices for the sake of their fossil fuel supply?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up