Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Thick Bass Steaks (10-08-03)  (Read 5338 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Thick Bass Steaks (10-08-03)
« on: October 08, 2003, 10:57:52 am »

Other than the fact that I think Onstad should have definitely gone with the alt text, very funny strip today.

I wonder how the "hep cats" are enjoying this display of hardcore showmanship? And what of Pat? WHAT OF PAT?

Can't wait to find out the answers to these questions and many more.

Strip.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:39:01 am by Nabubrush »
Logged

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 02:19:49 pm »

I bet they sound kinda like The Godz. With keyboards.

Just a hunch.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

V-Adore

  • Guest
Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 03:23:01 pm »

Utter Nitpicky Comic-Book-Guy Moment: I thought Philippe was six? I know that he was five in the Shove It, Philippe! strip, but that was over a year ago, and I could swear I've seen him alluded to as being six a few other places.

Glorious strip, though. all layin' down thick bass steaks
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 03:25:33 pm »

I don't think the characters ever age.  Like Calvin and Hobbes, or the Simpsons.

Heck, there was even a Simpson's Birthday episode where Bart turned ten.  Again.

Funny stuff, though.  What I don't know is if Onstad is poking fun at the usual Rock Posturing and Performance or if he's just a dork and doesn't know any better.

Either way, it brings on the funny, although I have to admit not actually laughing at today's strip like I did yesterday's.

But I only tend to laugh out loud maybe once every three months at a strip.

bluebird_of_unhappiness

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
    • View Profile
Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2003, 04:24:21 pm »

I haven't had too many laugh-out-louds lately.  These are quality strips nonetheless.

I love how Phillipe is sticking with the Batman shirt.
Logged
Who is fat?  Me (I am).

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2003, 04:36:13 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Heck, there was even a Simpson's Birthday episode where Bart turned ten.  Again.


Lisa has turned eight 3 times.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2003, 06:12:13 pm »

I loved the "maybe play that note again a bit later" line. Reminds me of my drummer making the same kind of comments when we write together.

And boy does Onstad get some good acid by the sounds of it!
Though a living sandwich is good enough.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

yahnai

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 43
    • View Profile
Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2003, 05:20:01 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Funny stuff, though.  What I don't know is if Onstad is poking fun at the usual Rock Posturing and Performance or if he's just a dork and doesn't know any better.


Reminds me of that revenge of the nerds sequel.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 02:48:19 pm »

Have you guys seen "American Splendor" - cause' you're totally freakin' me out with the "Revenge of the Nerds" talk!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2003, 06:39:25 pm »

You know, this whole thing with Beef as rock band leader doesn't sit right with me.  I know he's come a long way since his "Did you know I want to kill myself" days, but I still think he's way too introverted to jump up on stage and get the crowd going.  (Unless Mingus got him stoned first.)

Of course, if I'm going to quibble, I could argue that there's no way Philippe can play the damn drums.  It's just a comic strip, after all.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2003, 06:44:17 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
You know, this whole thing with Beef as rock band leader doesn't sit right with me.  I know he's come a long way since his "Did you know I want to kill myself" days, but I still think he's way too introverted to jump up on stage and get the crowd going.  (Unless Mingus got him stoned first.)

Of course, if I'm going to quibble, I could argue that there's no way Philippe can play the damn drums.  It's just a comic strip, after all.


I think Beef's in persona mode, like with Notorious L.I.N.C.O.L.N. Since he's not Beef he can be more outgoing. Much like HS drama departments are generally made up of extreme introverts who get all crazy on stage.

I don't think Philippe can play either, hence Beef telling him to hit all the drums and just have a good time. It's the Animal school of drumming.
Logged

Steve Hogan

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 167
    • View Profile
    • http://www.steve-hogan.com/
Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2003, 08:27:02 pm »

Quote from: "yahnai"
Quote from: "jough"


Reminds me of that revenge of the nerds sequel.


Beef's band like totally needs that guy with the big hair spikes and the electric violin.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2003, 08:28:30 pm »

That would be Timothy Busfield. The guy from 30 Something.
I think we covered this ground a few posts back...

http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=367
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2003, 09:00:35 pm »

Yeah, Revenge of the Nerds 2: Nerds in Paradise is a frightfully common topic here.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Thick Bass Steaks (Oct. 8)
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2003, 09:15:56 pm »

Quote from: "CortJstr"
I think Beef's in persona mode, like with Notorious L.I.N.C.O.L.N. Since he's not Beef he can be more outgoing.

Yeah, we are definitely talking about persona-Beef here. Beef seems to be able to be assertive and extroverted when he's shielded from consequences -- not just when he's in a persona (L.I.N.C.O.L.N. or the Animalicious frontman) but also in situations like his rocket theft and trip to the moon, when the others can't possibly punish him for being "transgressive."

This is why I like Beef; there's always some interesting stuff going on below the surface. Even if that means becoming Devo.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up