So there are all of these billboards up here in Charlotte urging passersby to "Support The Five-Day Weekend Movement" by claiming that "America Works Best When America Works Less."
The website claims that over 500,000,000 vacation days are given up each year by American workers, and makes a pitch to the nation to use technology the way it was used on The Jetsons - namely, to reduce our workload. I thought there had to be a catch, and some perusal of the site pretty plainly exposes it as viral marketing for the tourism industry for Asheville, NC.
I have to admit, it's starting to get depressing, that everything that comes along that seems clever or random or a little weird is attached to some sort of marketing thing. As an example, there's a commercial on the radio now for Hardee's new Patty Melt Thickburger. It's done as a parody of lame-ass white-boy rap, and the lyrics mention a website,
flatbuns.com. When you go to the site, it's a rather poorly put-together site, with an "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS" news update about the site being mentioned on the commercial. And I find myself asking... is that really someone who got lucky and got their site plugged on the radio as a quirky twist of fate? Or was that planned all along?