Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Scotch.  (Read 16684 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2007, 05:02:11 am »

Somewtimes I'm pretty sure someone I don't even know is thinking for me.

At least that's what I told the judge.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2007, 05:13:35 am »

Only Request: people, if you keep your name... give your kids whichever of the names is better. or else, you know, hyphenate them or something.

My mom has an awesome, awesome, awesome last name. it has a history. it's exciting.
my dad's last name is unbearably boring. It is a boring white person name. I am occasionally asked if I am related to a certain director-- that is the height of excitement for this name. The worst part is, his mothers side had a long chain of cool Irish last names (Munro, Blaney, something else I forget). But no!

I have my dad's last name. WHYYYYY!?

Plus, my mom gets all pissy when they don't put her hyphenated last name on mail. Unrelated: they also get really confused when addressing letters to "Dr and Mr" and so we often get "Dr and Mrs" instead. OUTRAGEOUS.

I feel like... a family should all have one last name. If my wife wants to keep her last name, I will take hers. Unless, you know, it's really really horrible. Having parents with 2 different last names is just... unnecessary.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2007, 06:05:13 am »

What if she wanted you to?

What if you wanted her to think for you?

I wouldn't be in the situation and I have taken enough psychedelics that I can think for myself for the rest of my days.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2007, 07:18:03 am »

The Lady has intimated to me that if we got married she would want my last name. I was actually kind of disappointed but she's a traditionalist and it's probably for the best since her last name is also a first name and so we might start getting mail for three people.
That said the (admittedly few) ladies I know who kept their last names seem to enjoy being total dicks about it. Then again maybe I think I only know a few ladies who kept their last names because I only notice the ones who make a fuss.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2007, 01:28:37 pm »

I would love to shed all vestiges of my biological family, but as I said, I am known by my unusual name at this point, and am just at the cusp of being really known in my field.  I supposed I am actually teetering on the edge of it being too late.  I am also highly indifferent to getting married at all, so in a way it's all moot.  I've told myself I have a year to figure out if I actually want to get married or not, but since I've always been on the "probably not" side of things, I don't see it changing really.  If the SO really wanted to, I probably would, but my personal interest isn't all that high.  I like the idea of celebrating our partnership, I don't like the idea of dressing up all silly, of dealing with the stress, of jumping through the hoops, of spending lots of money, etc. etc.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2007, 02:05:39 pm »

To go back like a page, Tylenol can cause liver damage if you take it with alcohol. You should never take it immediately after drinking (or even worse wash it down with beer) and if you have more than 3 drinks a day you shouldn't take Tylenol at all. Switch to ibuprofen/Advil.

What confuses the hell out of me is my friend Christine. Her family changed their name to something really lame years ago to Americanize it. So when she turned 18 she changed her last name back to the original polish one. Then at 28 she gets married and takes her husband's name. What was the point of changing her name to begin with if she was just going to change it again?

The head of my department at work just got married for the 4th time. She changed her name to his, but professionally still uses her 1st or 2nd husband's name because that's the one she's known by in peer-reviewed journals and such.

My SO and I are keeping things simple. We're both keeping our own names and aren't having kids.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2007, 02:07:07 pm »

The Lady has intimated to me that if we got married she would want my last name. I was actually kind of disappointed but she's a traditionalist and it's probably for the best since her last name is also a first name and so we might start getting mail for three people.

My experiences with marriage have shown me that once it happens, it doesn't matter how you handle it, your mail will be addressed all fucked for life.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2007, 02:25:44 pm »

I wouldn't be in the situation and I have taken enough psychedelics that I can think for myself for the rest of my days.

Huh.  After 19 years of marriage, I've come to realize that not having to think about certain types of things can be a huge benefit.  I'm glad I don't have to think about my daughters' menstrual issues.  I'm pretty sure Mrs. West is glad she doesn't have to pay much attention to our taxes.  Sharing the burden is pretty nice.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2007, 02:32:15 pm »

My experiences with marriage have shown me that once it happens, it doesn't matter how you handle it, your mail will be addressed all fucked for life.

Sometimes when the names are fucked it's to your advantage, though.  We don't have the same last name, so if someone phones and asks for Mr Wombat or Mrs Technical Staff, it is a dead giveaway that they are selling something.

Which roughly compensates for when I call the vet to make an appointment and have to say that the dogs have a different last name than I do.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2007, 03:02:44 pm »

The only meaning in a name is that which the user imbues it with through their works.

Not if, as I alluded to earlier, your last name is Dong or Scabies.

Well, maybe if your last name is Scabies.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2007, 04:00:58 pm »

I work with at least three Dongs and it ain't never a problem outside of the playground.

Taken out of context that's a rather disturbing sentence.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2007, 04:03:19 pm »

Taken out of context that's a rather disturbing sentence.

Can for both of you. That's one of the most disturbing sentences I've ever read.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2007, 07:25:01 pm »

Huh.  After 19 years of marriage, I've come to realize that not having to think about certain types of things can be a huge benefit.  I'm glad I don't have to think about my daughters' menstrual issues.  I'm pretty sure Mrs. West is glad she doesn't have to pay much attention to our taxes.  Sharing the burden is pretty nice.

Wait!  I handle the menstrual issues and the taxes for both of us!  The SO definitely couldn't handle our taxes (he's not a math guy and I have a complicated situation being partially self-employed and all), and the one time I sent him to buy tampons he came back with the wrong kind.  Perhaps a public ritual would somehow balance this out?

Also, I had no idea about the booze and Tylenol combo, but that said I don't think I've ever combined them anyway.

Also, there is a Dong Thai restaurant near my house and until now, I never thought that was a problem.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2007, 08:26:25 pm »

I loved being able to type that up as factual truth.

ALSO: One of the Dong's first names is Hung.

I shit thee not. Dude's a good engineer, too. He's had a hand in some good erections.

Can for the engineering pun.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2007, 08:39:53 pm »

Also, there is a Dong Thai restaurant near my house and until now, I never thought that was a problem.

Pho Kyu is apparantly a very popular restaurant name nowadays (for those that don't know - and I didn't - Pho is pronounced "fuh").
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up