Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Scotch.  (Read 16656 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2007, 01:54:56 pm »

"Fuh" is correct, but if you say "Fo" none but the meanest language police will hassle you.  It's like "gyro" vs. "yee-ro," one is technically correct but it's been butchered often enough to be accepted.

Also, pho is the best goddamn hangover cure in the universe.

In my experience the people taking the order generally don't know what you're talking about if you say yee-ro.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2007, 02:45:19 pm »

In my experience the people taking the order generally don't know what you're talking about if you say yee-ro.

See also: http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2679.msg60394.html#msg60394

Though the discussion picks up speed around: http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2679.msg60466.html#msg60466
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2007, 02:54:03 pm »

Gimme some of them there sammiches.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2007, 09:03:35 pm »

"Fuh" is as close as you're likely to get but yeah, I say "pho" and I always get exactly what I ordered, you know?

I just say "A large bowl of #8, please."  (Where #8 is something that doesn't include tripe.)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2007, 12:04:59 am »

There was a place near me called "Pho Sizzle" before it closed.  I was really hoping it was pronounced "Faux" instead of "Fuh."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2007, 12:25:00 am »

See, I think that proves that Vietnamese expect Americans to pronounce it 'fo'.

Really, if you're speaking English, you should speak English. When a language borrows words, the pronunciation changes.  It's just pretentious to fall all over yourself trying to pronounce things in the original language and it makes it hard to order a gyro, so what's the point?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2007, 02:43:30 am »

I normally walk in to my desired restaurant and start throwing bills at the server whilst screaming "MEAT!" It works fairly well.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2007, 03:13:36 am »

Speaking of ordering SNAFUs, I have learned that I have to ask for a "Scotch and soda. Yeah, with J&B or Dewar's." or such as a "Glenfiddich neat" if I am to get anywhere.

One of my favorite blended scotches for s&s is J&B. I asked for a "J&B and soda, please" one night. The barmaid gave me a weird look. She gave me a drink that was waaaay too brown to be scotch.

I said, "Uh, is that scotch?"
 
She said, "no, I thought you wanted a JD and soda! Jack Daniels!"

>_< ewwww. Not Jack Daniels. I felt really bad and offered to pay for the disgusting drink, but she immediately made me a new J&B and soda. Somebody nice was happy.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2007, 03:40:00 am »

I ask for Laphroaig at most bars and when they tell me they don't have it I just never go back.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2007, 07:09:33 am »

man. ordering drinks. what a bizarre concept.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2007, 07:23:37 am »

man. ordering drinks. what a bizarre concept.

Ha, ha! You're still underaaaage!

Sorry, I just had to rub it in.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2007, 02:34:07 pm »

I ask for Laphroaig at most bars and when they tell me they don't have it I just never go back.

Do you have to spell it for them?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2007, 03:46:49 pm »

I still think ordering drinks at a bar is bizarre.  You can get alcohol cheaper at the supermarket (or a beer-off if you need some Peychaud's Bitters or something), and then you can drink them in the comfort of your own home, eliminating the need for a designated driver.  I mean, I can understand buying overpriced beer at a ballgame, or a bottle of wine at a restaurant, because there you're essentially paying for the convenience of drink combined with another service.  But the sole purpose of a bar is for drinking.  Am I missing some crucial detail?  It just seems kind of daft.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2007, 03:49:26 pm »

Well, there's always the huge variety of drink types, titty-bars, live music, dancing, darts/pool/foosball, watching sports, scoring drugs, and meeting people (all experiences that aren't quite the same at home) - but YMMV.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

ImpyChick

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 12
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2007, 06:18:11 pm »

Well, there's always the huge variety of drink types, titty-bars, live music, dancing, darts/pool/foosball, watching sports, scoring drugs, and meeting people (all experiences that aren't quite the same at home) - but YMMV.

Agreed, you really pay for the experience more than the alcohol.  Even if you go to a little hole in the wall with the same people you've been seeing there for 20 years, it's still the novelty of being the bar you've been going to with your friends for 20 years.  Granted, if you're going to one of these places, you're most likely drinking $1 cans of PBR.

I feel very fortunate to live within stumbling distance from a good gay bar with decent karaoke.  I go there once or twice a week, & only spend around 10 or 15 bucks.  It's the people who easily drop $100 during a night of clubbing that I worry about.

While I'm posting...

1.  I'm deeply indebted to my pappy for introducing me to the wonderful world of Scotch.

2.  I plan on hyphenating surnames when I get married.  Or Civil Unioned.  Or whatever the heck it'll be called when I'm ready to tie the knot.  I think hyphenating surnames indicates partnership, ya know?
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up