Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Scotch.  (Read 16621 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2007, 06:40:22 pm »

We have a small neighborhood bar here that I really enjoy. I always feel very safe there. The other bar is really scary and I never go there unless I enter and leave with a group of friends. Going out to bars can be fun, but I don't like getting ogled by nasty guys, which happens a lot here. There are a lot of scary guys here (4:1 ratio of men to women). I'll be dancing with my girlfriends and some skeevy dude will come up and try to grind on one of us, and it just gets old. Contrast that with Denver, where I'll probably never get a second glance. C'est la vie. It will be nice to have some measure of anonymity again...but there won't be that safety net of fellow firefighters who are watching my back. It's a tradeoff.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2007, 08:53:19 pm »

Well, there's always the huge variety of drink types, titty-bars, live music, dancing, darts/pool/foosball, watching sports, scoring drugs, and meeting people (all experiences that aren't quite the same at home) - but YMMV.

But Nabu, I always thought this was exactly what it was like at your house.  I'm disappointed.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2007, 09:15:41 pm »

But Nabu, I always thought this was exactly what it was like at your house.  I'm disappointed.

Well, it is, but I assumed iron felix's experience was different. I can't let all of you move in with me. I am taking applications, but there is already one very impressive candidate.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2007, 10:28:00 pm »

I just realized...
I know two people with hyphenated names that are dating.

HOW WOULD YOU DECIDE WHO CAME FIRST!?
it would be like... a bunch of really Eastern European/Jewish names, all smushed together with one English name.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2007, 10:30:36 pm »

I don't know a damn thing about scotch, but I'm glad to see there's a sports & leisure thread going strong besides our nerdstravaganza baseball one.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2007, 11:16:31 pm »

Where I come from double-barrelled names indicate being terribly posh.

Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon
Camilla Parker-Bowles
Anastacia Beaumont-Bott

That kinda thing.

Right, like Simon Zinc-Trumpet-Harris or Lady Sarah Pencil-Farthing-Vivian Streamroller-Adams-Pie-Biscuit-Aftershave-Gore-Stringbottom Smith
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2007, 06:30:03 am »

I just realized...
I know two people with hyphenated names that are dating.

HOW WOULD YOU DECIDE WHO CAME FIRST!?
it would be like... a bunch of really Eastern European/Jewish names, all smushed together with one English name.

Or Hispanic names, where you get something such as Aznar y López. Or Francisco de Goya y Luciente.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2007, 06:37:26 am »

no, I was using "like" in the horrible slang way that kids these days use it.

It would literally be a bunch of Jewish/Eastern European and English names all mushed together.

Like:
Bittner-Levitov-Rossmuller-Baxter (although not in that order. I have scrambled them so you can't stalk my cute friends.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2007, 01:24:58 pm »

Ha - my friend has a hyphenated last name of Jewish origins and I was telling him just yesterday (having not read this thread) that he should marry a girl with hyphenated last names of a drastically different ethnic origins, and then they could just jumble the order of all four together like Hellman-Wong-Speitzer-Chang or something.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2007, 05:53:04 pm »

yeah. The best part is...
the names are not divided along any sort of lines, in real life. They each have one English name and one non-english name. have I mentioned that they are hell of cute, too?
So cute. So cute.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2007, 08:43:04 pm »

yeah. The best part is...
the names are not divided along any sort of lines, in real life. They each have one English name and one non-english name. have I mentioned that they are hell of cute, too?
So cute. So cute.

Everyone is, these days.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2007, 01:25:23 am »

Hellman-Wong-Speitzer-Chang

Mmm yes... I'm getting advanced maths... I'm getting... a definitive paper on string theory...

I started thinking about mayonnaise and "Everybody Have Fun Tonight," myself.
Logged

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2007, 06:29:38 pm »

My fiancee is currently grappling with whether to change her name or not.  I'm indifferent.  She's a Braverman an I'm an Olson, and though Braverson would pretty much be an awesome last name, I'm really just not interested in changing my name (nor do I think she should have to change hers). 

Anyway, the combined last name thing can lead to some ugliness sometimes. 
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2007, 06:51:05 pm »

My fiancee is currently grappling with whether to change her name or not.  I'm indifferent.  She's a Braverman an I'm an Olson, and though Braverson would pretty much be an awesome last name, I'm really just not interested in changing my name (nor do I think she should have to change hers). 

Anyway, the combined last name thing can lead to some ugliness sometimes. 

My younger sister just got engaged, and I guess that she's gonna take his last name. He gets really, really worked up into a lather about Women Who Keep Their Names because he thinks it's bullshit. I cannot imagine that it would piss anyone off that much... but whatever, dude.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Scotch.
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2007, 06:52:37 pm »

I had wondered occasionally why I hadn't heard of anyone else named Villaraigosa.  It seems like there are a finite number of spanish surnames (I've run across Villar many times, and there was a lady with the Raigosa surname who worked here at one time).  Education.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up