Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: June 2007 blogs  (Read 5066 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
June 2007 blogs
« on: June 03, 2007, 07:03:01 pm »

I forgot that Mrs Onstad is a vegetarian. So that was a very thoughtful present indeed - in my house anyone who bought Bacon of the Month Club for someone else would be suspected of wanting it for themselves.

I want to slap him when he starts to talk about mirepoix, but he wins me back completely with his suggestion for the use of kidney beans. It is a fine line that he treads sometimes.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: June 2007 blogs
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 08:15:45 pm »

I forgot that Mrs Onstad is a vegetarian. So that was a very thoughtful present indeed - in my house anyone who bought Bacon of the Month Club for someone else would be suspected of wanting it for themselves.

I want to slap him when he starts to talk about mirepoix, but he wins me back completely with his suggestion for the use of kidney beans. It is a fine line that he treads sometimes.

Chris seems to use the descriptive "fat little" quite a bit and it disturbs me. It comes out a lot in Philippe's blog, but his as well. Like fat little sardines or something, I seem to remember Philippe mentioning something about that and it's just a gross mental image. Maybe it's because I don't like sardines.

...The UPS man dropped a fat little package of a new sort of bacon into the rattle of all that misery....
...He was from Germany, but he didn't have a mustache and fat little boots...
...I saw a corgey dog! I'm not sure if that's how you spell it. He was little and fat and he was super nice...
Logged

MrCB

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 18
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 122
    • View Profile
Re: June 2007 blogs
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 01:03:24 pm »

Should not a man obsessed with Bacon be a man obsessed with fat also?

As a man who is not experienced with Bacon, on account of religion, I have always assumed that they are just tiny slivers of meat in a comforting blanket of pure white fat.
Logged
I'LL BE DEAD BY THE TIME THEY SLAP THE CUFFS ON

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: June 2007 blogs
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 07:08:46 pm »

I agree completely with his assessment of kidney beans.  They do need to stop showing up in food.
Logged
~

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: June 2007 blogs
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 10:40:11 pm »

I have always assumed that they are just tiny slivers of meat in a comforting blanket of pure white fat.

Ah, but what is red, but the vibrations of light at 428 THz?  Simply stating a thing's physical parameters tells you nothing of the poetry of the experience.  I do find it tragic that, but for a quirk of traditional lore, a significant fraction of the world will never know the sublime taste of crispy bacon.  Indeed, much of the violence in the Phillipines probably stems from the cognitive dissonance of Polynesian pork palates meeting with Muslim dietary laws.  I have several coworkers who hail either directly or generationally from the Phillipines, and all not only love pork in various guises, but find Spam to be the equivalent of Soul Food.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: June 2007 blogs
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 01:19:09 pm »

Dammit Beef, you do not need to get another ring. New diamonds are for suckers. Go old school and get a birthstone ring if you must have something store-bought.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: June 2007 blogs
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 03:24:18 pm »

I love it when the strange continuity of Achewood comes back around to explain a situation in a fashion that completely makes sense but makes no sense outside of Ache-logic.

He has to pay all these costs because her family has been dead for four hundred years.

These are the perils of meeting a girl in Heaven.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: June 2007 blogs
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 03:34:42 pm »

A shame the family's not around, really. I hear there's a fine Welsh tradition whereby the bride's family kidnap her before the ceremony and the groom and his friends have to get her back.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: June 2007 blogs
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 03:58:31 pm »

I had not heard of this tradition.

When you consider that her family would all be zombies/ghosts, that sounds even cooler.

Ray would love it so much.

Getting to help his best friend save the best friend's lady from ghosts before the wedding.

Airwolf would definitely get in on the act.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: June 2007 blogs
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 12:46:05 am »

OK, so stamped knives are bad, what's good? Forged? I forget how to tell the difference.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: June 2007 blogs
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 05:05:37 am »

Basically, you want a knife with "full tang".

My mnemonic for it is asking myself what kind of knife Bill Clinton would want.

And then I rememeber. Full tang.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: June 2007 blogs
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 01:21:19 pm »

and in this situation what does tang mean?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: June 2007 blogs
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 02:56:02 pm »

I thought I saw W have good things to say about cheap stamped giraffe boning knives the other day...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: June 2007 blogs
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 03:34:11 pm »

Cheap stamped knives are great in situations where proper balance is not required, such as in light knives made for their flexibility and lack of heft.

Bigger knives where balance and equal distribution of force are important traits, you want like a drop-forged full-tang sorta dealy.

Or so cookbooks and cooking shows tell me. I can barely scramble eggs.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: June 2007 blogs
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 04:57:07 pm »

Compare and contrast Little Nephew's blog against blogs by similar jagoffs on MySpace.  The black-on-white isn't fooling anyone, Onstad.  You need hella pix in da backgroundzzz that make tha copy 2 tuff 2 read, plus some gratuitous glittery Playboy bunny headz or something that looks like an airbrushed picture of a gun on a van's spare tire cover.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up